Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Great grandma beginner

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi everyone,
    I've just begun to ride a bike again after lots of years off. Our sons are in the bike business and I figured I'd better get with the program! A couple of years ago I bought a Specialized Crossroads Elite Low Entry after telling a son that I needed a "grandma bike". I rode it once that summer and once last summer, then all of a sudden this summer I want to be on it all the time!

The back roads around here are fairly hilly so it's been a workout. I started with about 6 miles, then 8 miles and Friday I did 18.5. It was 86º out, which is very hot for us up in the mountains. About half of the roads were paved, but half were dirt and one stretch was deep sand. I got off my bike and looked because I thought my tire was flat. Wow, that stretch was hard, hard to stay upright!

I feel like I'm doing okay but little things crop up now and then. Numb finger problem has gone away. Sore sit bones are resolving. Tight shoulders still bug me.

I wonder if I would be happy with cleats. Should I wait until I have more experience?

Does anyone have any advice?
    Shelley

No, but you are one fantastic lady! How cool are you getting so advanced so quickly?!? Can't wait to hear more about your adventures!
    Wherever I go, there I am!

2012 Rivendell Betty Foy

Wow, Shelley, good for you! 18.5 miles is a big jump from what you previously rode. That Crossroads would be some workout up hills, so you're really doing well!

Half gloves would help if you find the numb fingers returning.

I'm assuming by cleats you're talking about getting clipless pedals and bike shoes with cleats? Is there a reason why you think they'd help you?

And I find it very funny that your sons considered the Crossroads a "grandma" bike. Thinking of all the young guys on another forum that chose that bike...

You go girl!
    2011 Specialized Ruby Comp
    2015 Giant Liv Tempt 3

I even dreamed about bicycling last night--going up ramps and stairs in a very tall building

I was mainly planning on using the bike to go into town and grocery shop. It's an 8 mile roundtrip on the back road with an elevation gain of around 400 feet. (My "big" ride the other day had an elevation gain of 908' for comparison.) I carry big waterproof panniers on the back and a largish bag on the handlebars. I can't think the extra weight is much of a detriment since I myself am about 40 lbs overweight!

I'm going to try to add a photo:
    [IMG]
    Untitled by dogcollarsp, on Flickr[/IMG]

The reason I know the elevation gain is that I bought a Garmin 450 and mounted it on the handlebars so I wouldn't get lost! I did this after my husband and I were mushroom hunting last month and he got lost and we didn't find him until the next day! He is 82 and on insulin and Coumadin and half blind so it was dicey. If anyone wants to read one son's report, it's here: http://www.splattski.com/2012/sar/index.html

Is it crazy to have the idea of riding the century at my age (which is 65, much younger than my husband)? I'm sort of imagining I could work up to it by next summer.

Well done! I am quite sure you could do a century if you put your mind to it. I started riding at 44, the hardest thing was getting going. No advice on cleats I'm afraid. Enjoy your riding
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    LOVE the bike!! Super cute (and really functional). Woot!!!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Quote Originally Posted by sashadieken View Post
    Is it crazy to have the idea of riding the century at my age (which is 65, much younger than my husband)? I'm sort of imagining I could work up to it by next summer.
    Not crazy all all! There ARE 65 year olds doing centuries. You sound like you have quite a bit of stamina to build on.

You absolutely can do a century. I think that's a wonderful goal! As far as clipless pedals and shoes go... everyone I've ever known has said that it was the single best decision when putting in serious miles. Toe clips are an option, but I personally find them difficult to get out of (pulling the foot straight back). YMMV. Your bike looks lovely... wishing you many happy miles together.
    The bicycle has done more for the emancipation of women than anything else in the world. ~ Susan B. Anthony

No advice because I am a newbie @ 38 years old. I hope to do a century too-perhaps a local one next fall. You are doing great though! I love your bike. Good luck and stay safe.
    2013: Riding a Dolce sport compact for fun and a vintage Jetter with cargo rack for commuting

www.bike-sby.org: A network of concerned cyclists working to make our city more bicycle friendly.

Yes, with proper training, you can do a century, or a bike tour. I'm 64, just completed a 300 mile bike tour over 5 days in Nebraska. Longest day was 70 miles. There were women, and men, older than me on the tour and they rode every mile. I also know a 74 yr old woman who completed a ride across country last year. Because the ride began in March and she was living at a ski resort she did all of her training on a bike trainer indoors.

Nothing wrong with the current bike you're riding but for 100 miles of riding I suggest you get a well fitted road bike that is lighter and has better gearing for climbs.

Thank you, everyone, for your comments and encouragement! I think I will put that plan in motion. I'm sure the journey is going to be interesting and I'll learn a lot about biking and about myself as well.

Just saw on my facebook page that my friend just completed her 1st triathalon. Wow, she makes me feel like a wimp.

Quote Originally Posted by sashadieken View Post

I feel like I'm doing okay but little things crop up now and then. Numb finger problem has gone away. Sore sit bones are resolving. Tight shoulders still bug me.

I wonder if I would be happy with cleats. Should I wait until I have more experience?
    First: I wouldn't bother with cleats on your current bike. Honestly, I didn't find they made much of a difference on any of my bikes. Here's a fun article about cleated pedals and shoes: http://www.rivbike.com/kb_results.asp?ID=45

Second: tight shoulders could be from bike fit or from locking your elbows or even from slouching. Try unlocking your elbows first, particularly as you get tired. If that doesn't help, ask someone for some assistance with fit.
    Existence is empty, but I am full of myself.

Last year my MS150 team leader's father road the MS150 75 miles each day, Saturday and Sunday. He had an old steel bike. He never even sagged. And guess what, he is 78 years old! He bought a new bike for it this year and did the same thing! This year is 79! And last year I couldn't keep up with him! Unfortunately I couldn't participate this year due to an accident, but I followed my team.