Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

In all rides especially in the heat I use Powerade a switch from deluted Gatorade. Powerade has less sugar and is so much lighter but does the job. On any longer rides like 50 miles + my 2nd bottle is Perpetrum by Hammer. For eating I love the Honey Stinger Chews. They don't stick to your teeth like the Cliff Bloks and I like the Honey Stinger Waffle bars. On organized rides I eat what is given which is bananas, p&j sandwiches and yes, a few of them have pie. I prefer that at the end. On the Montauk Century they have it at the last rest stop, mile 75 and to be honest, I do not feel like having pie at that point no matter how good it is. I which the organizer would change it to the end. I should send him an email.
    2012 Specialized Amira S-Works
    2012 Vita Elite
    2011 Specialized Dolce Elite (raffle prize) - Riva Road 155
    Ralaigh Tara Mtn Bike

I have been using Infinit and that is working so much better for me than anything else. I usually take one bottle of Infinit and one bottle of water. If it is particularly hot I will put Nuun in the second bottle.

For snacks, I just can't tolerate any of the "sport" products. No Gus, Honey Stingers, Powerbars, Lara Bars, Sport beans etc. I like a PayDay, banana, sometimes a Coke, at a rest stop. I would love to be able to carry a turkey sandwich in my pocket.

I have noticed that since I have using the Infinit, I have to eat less, because I can get some calories from by bottle. This has helped a lot.
    Trek Madone - 5.5 -Brooks B-17

Trek 2.1 WSD - Brooks - B-17 - Trainer bike;

Gary Fisher - Tassajara (MTB) - Specialized Ariel

I typically just carry water and whatever is handy from the house (Fiber One bar, banana, nuts). Sometimes I will stop and pick up something at a bakery or small store. I probably should put more thought into this
    We do not take a trip; a trip takes us - John Steinbeck

Some assortment of the following: Magic beans (Jelly Belly Extreme Sports Beans-Watermelon are my fav), Power Bar Energy Blasts (Cola flavor are my favs here), B12 Shot in one water bottle (2 oz of pure vitamin B12-2000mcg-Caffeine free, Natural energy that lasts), Banana, Cliff bar, Honey Stinger waffles.
    Don't cross the river if you can swim the tide...

2011-Cannondale Synapse Alloy5 WSD with 105 and BB30!

Quote Originally Posted by amb View Post
    I recently got turned onto Skratch Labs "secret drink mix". I believe it has more sodium & less sugar than typical replacement drinks like gatorade. It is supposed to make your gut happier. Honestly, I never noticed feeling bloaty on Gatorade until after I switched and NOT being bloaty with Skratch. It's got a good flavor too.
    In the last couple of weeks, I have started riding distances that I felt warranted something more than water. This thread was a great help and I tried almost every drink mix mentioned here, one at at a time. The Skratch mix was hands down the winner for me. Not very sweet and only a light flavor. I immediately went out to their website and bought the pound bag. Thanks for mentioning them!
    The bicycle has done more for the emancipation of women than anything else in the world. ~ Susan B. Anthony

I love the Skratch labs mix. I've tried 3 flavors, and all are great. Very light on the flavor. Don't notice any adverse effects, but I've never been a fan of Gatorade.

On super long, hot rides, I scoop an extra serving of powder into a button baggie, the kind Banana Republic or Loft, etc, give you with extra buttons, and put it into my jersey. One scoop fits perfectly into the largest baggie they give out. Mix with water at a rest stop, and bingo, more Skratch.

As far as nutrition, I eat, but I'm never hungry. (Does this happen to anyone else? In fact, mostly I force myself to eat, but I'd rather not eat. Maybe its the heat?) I've made homemade gluten free energy bars with a recipe I found online. I eat those, and Luna bars in small increments.
    In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different. ~ Coco Chanel

Skratch Labs drink mix, FTW! I used to exclusively drink Gatorade, and yuck. I haven't looked back. Very good, and doesn't feel bad on my stomach or anything. Lots of ice lately.

For those of you who are experiencing the amazing-ness of the Skratch drink mix, and don't like sweet stuff, you should definitely make rice cakes. It didn't sound good to me at first so I made my first pan hesitatingly. Now, it's pretty much all I eat - my clif bars box is gathering dust. You can make a savory type with eggs & bacon (although I sub things because I'm vegetarian & don't eat eggs), or there are sweet types as well.

The beauty of rice cakes is that they provide a lot of energy but really don't feel anything in your stomach. It's fantastic.

Short of getting the FeedZone cookbook, there are a few recipes on their blog:

http://www.skratchlabs.com/blogs/news

I haven't made the mint/raspberry ones get, but I've heard they're amazing!
    Make sure you wrap them the way Allen Lim does. Much easier to eat with one hand that way.

Oh, and here's a video of Allen Lim making the savory cakes!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UiuqIWGe_s

Awesome ideas! I'll be on the look-out for Skratch mix.
    I am digging on the gel Blox from Cliff, but man, they are sweet.
    I like to freeze coffee cubes and drop them in some diluted almond milk for the hot days (realizing that "hot" in Alaska is 80F's), along with an extra frozen water. I stick with Nature Valley granola bars because they dont melt.