Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Installed new stem!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just installed a new stem on my roadie. Without help!!!

Okay, I have adjusted the, uh, adjustable stem on my hybrid before. Not sure why I thought it would be hard. Pretty easy!

Actually, I put the original stem back on the bike. A 100 mm. Not sure of the angle, but pretty level. And I rotated the bars so the hoods were closer to me.

Maybe I needed the shorter stem before, and I'm stronger now.

Or maybe the fitter should have just rotated the bars so the hoods were closer. Hard to say more than 2 years later. Certainly affected handling. An 80 mm, 17 degree stem is a little wonky.

Does anyone know if this will affect where my saddle should go now that I am more stretched out and lower? I'll get on the rollers and check this evening. Still helps to have some feedback.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Does anyone know if this will affect where my saddle should go now that I am more stretched out and lower? I'll get on the rollers and check this evening. Still helps to have some feedback.
    My non-professional understanding:

Saddle position should be determined by knee position in relation to the cranks. If this is true, then your saddle position shouldn't change with the stem length (the stem would change to accommodate your new upper body position - which is more aggressive). I do expect you might need to change the angle of the saddle - if it was tipped up at all in the front - you'll want it level with the new position.

OK experts - tell me where I'm wrong....
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

That's right, Blueberry. My advice with any change in position on the bike is to allow your body an adjustment period to it. Your first couple of rides with the new stem should be relatively short.

Congrats on the wrenching, Muirenn!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    That's right, Blueberry. My advice with any change in position on the bike is to allow your body an adjustment period to it. Your first couple of rides with the new stem should be relatively short.

Congrats on the wrenching, Muirenn!
    Not sure why it took me this long to do it. I installed all the ceiling fans and new lights in my house. Alone. Including the huge one in the living room that required a sledge hammer to enlarge the hole, and an installation of a bar between the rafters to support its weight.

Still, a bike is not a fan.

I'll wait on further adjustments.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!