Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

For all of us ladies with IT Band syndrome

To disable ads, please log-in.

I know since I was diagnosed with IT band problems (and muscle strength incongruity) and went through physical therapy for it, I have seen so many posts about it here on the forum. I was reading Sweat Science this morning and an older article was posted about the merits of strength training vs. stretching to help ease this painful condition:

Strengthening, Not Stretching for IT Band Syndrome

This matches my experience - that the stretching exercises they had me do in the beginning helped a little, but when I started doing leg presses and leg lifts and using the resistance band (among other quadricep and hamstring strengthening exercises) that's when I saw real improvement with my knee and have since not had a problem with it.

Thought I'd share!

Thank you! The suggested exercises are easy to do (no major equipment needed).

Thanks for the link I think those exercises are important for cyclists to do in general, even without ITB problems, because they end being underworked or not worked at all while on the bike. The imbalances that can result can lead to a host of issues, if my own experience is any guide.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Nice little article, and it does match my experience. I think addressing strength and muscle imbalances at the same time goes a long way to ease chronic problems like this, Indy hit the nail on the head.

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    Thanks for the link I think those exercises are important for cyclists to do in general, even without ITB problems, because they end being underworked or not worked at all while on the bike. The imbalances that can result can lead to a host of issues, if my own experience is any guide.
    This exactly.

A muscle imbalance always has a shortened muscle/tissue component and a weak muscle component. IT band syndrome should most definitely be treated by addressing both issues in order to achieve long term results.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS