Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by pll View Post
    The Tour started with 198 riders, and last year there was some discussion about allowing less riders on the course, due to the massive crashes. Today we had another one of those crashes. Frankly, I cannot see a women's field at the same time. it would be nice if a women's field competed on the same course a day earlier.
    Unfortunately it takes a *huge* amount of organization to do these races.... an extra day of officials, support and traffic control would probably be too expensive for the organizers.

It might be feasible to send a women's race just after the men, so it would just be a few extra hours.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate View Post
    Exactly.

Off the top of my head, sports that are not gender-specific for the most part and have a professional component: equestrian, sailing, auto racing, shooting, billiards.
    The above listed also have technical aspect, as in , the horse is as much or more of a part of the competition as is the rider. I don't think you can say the same thing about a bike.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

[QUOTE=SadieKate;645591]As Indy said, there is, or at least was a TdF for women.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tour_de...e_F%C3%A9minin/QUOTE]

Cancelled? I didn't know that. What a shame.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by pll View Post
    Women's stage races have less stages and are much shorter (100km versus 200km per day). Right now, I am following the women's version of the Giro d'Italia, the Giro Donne. It only has 9 stages. Today is stage #8 - I linked to the coverage in a separate thread.

The Tour started with 198 riders, and last year there was some discussion about allowing less riders on the course, due to the massive crashes. Today we had another one of those crashes. Frankly, I cannot see a women's field at the same time. it would be nice if a women's field competed on the same course a day earlier.

Thanks, had no idea about the Giro Donne.
    Felt F65
    Specialized Crux Expert Force (My baby)

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    The above listed also have technical aspect, as in , the horse is as much or more of a part of the competition as is the rider. I don't think you can say the same thing about a bike.
    Yeah, you can take the brawn out of the equation and let the brain and coordination dominate.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

[QUOTE=indysteel;645597]
    Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate View Post
    As Indy said, there is, or at least was a TdF for women.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tour_de...e_F%C3%A9minin/QUOTE]

Cancelled? I didn't know that. What a shame.
    Yeah I saw that it was cancelled as well. What a bummer.
    Felt F65
    Specialized Crux Expert Force (My baby)

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    And let's not forget the One Fly competition.

http://www.jhonefly.org/
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    Unfortunately it takes a *huge* amount of organization to do these races.... an extra day of officials, support and traffic control would probably be too expensive for the organizers.

It might be feasible to send a women's race just after the men, so it would just be a few extra hours.
    I know... and it is also a massive 'tax' on the different cities. The problem is that some stages are really long. I'd love to see more women's races -- hence my advertising of the little coverage the Giro Donne gets.

To echo one of the things SK said, ultradistance events offer a chance for women to compete alongside men. I spent part of my holiday reading up on Ezster Horanyi, the women who recently finished seventh overall and first among women at this year's Tour Divide.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I do think that Canondale's TDF women's group is kinda neet.
    http://www.cannondale.com/women#7
    My photoblog
    http://dragons-fly-peacefully.blogspot.com/
    Bacchetta Giro (recumbent commuter)
    Bacchetta Corsa (recumbent "fast" bike)
    Greespeed X3 (recumbent "just for fun" trike)
    Strada Velomobile
    I will never buy another bike!

Quote Originally Posted by TsPoet View Post
    I do think that Canondale's TDF women's group is kinda neet.
    http://www.cannondale.com/women#7
    Are you following them? It's kind of fun. For those interested:

Quote Originally Posted by lovelygamer View Post
    They have a few women's races like it. Here is a small non competitive one that is running this year at the same time: http://www.reve.cc/
    I've been watching my friend Heidi get ready for this, all the training, panic, and adrenaline that has come with it. She's been writing for Peloton magazine the whole time, which is a new kind of hell: Ride 130 km, THEN be eloquent in prose? Wow.

http://www.pelotonmagazine.com/Wisdo.../Swift-Stage-4

It's not a race, but the women are riding the whole stage the day prior to the men. The miles and emotions are very much real and her stories and tweets have been putting the TdF in quite a different perspective for me.

-- gnat! (GO HEIDI GO!)
    Windsor: 2010 S-Works Ruby
    Pantysgawn: 2011 S-Works Stumpjumper 29er
    Whiz!: 2013 S-Works Crux (Singlespeed)
    Boucheron: 2009 S-Works Tricross
    Haloumi: 2013 Tern P7i
    Kraft: 2009 Singlecross
    Gouda: 2005 Electra Betty
    Roquefort: 1974 Stella SX-73

Quote Originally Posted by gnat23 View Post
    She's been writing for Peloton magazine the whole time, which is a new kind of hell: Ride 130 km, THEN be eloquent in prose? Wow.
    Wow indeed. That's a fascinating read, thanks pll and gnat!

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by jessmarimba View Post
    Not pro-only, and not competing against each other, but most major long-distance running races (marathon and longer) have men and women on the same course at the same time. So I can see where it might make sense for men and women to be in the same bike races together.

That's the only sport I can think of, though.
    Triathlon also - some of the top women place in the middle of the men (or at least they did when Chrissie was racing....).
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by jessmarimba View Post
    Not pro-only, and not competing against each other, but most major long-distance running races (marathon and longer) have men and women on the same course at the same time.
    Triathlon as well. Males and females compete at the same distances at the same time on the same course. It's one of the reasons I love triathlon. There's no "dumbing down" the distances for the women.

Many ultra-cycling events are the same. Males and females ride the same course, same distance. This is true in competitive events like RAAM and Furnace Creek 508, as well as non-competitive events like randonneuring (Paris-Brest-Paris), etc. That does mean, though, that women participate in much smaller numbers. At PBP last year, there were 5000 starters, just 300 of which were women. 4000 people finished, including just 200 women.

I happen to believe that women are very well suited to endurance events. We may not have the same power as men (and therefore don't keep up when the hammer gets put down), but we can ride or run very consistently for long periods of time. I've done any number of rando rides where I (voluntarily) get shelled off the back in the first 30 miles, only to see many of the same men again 100 miles down the road, gooses cooked.

Thus, I think women could actually survive a race as long as the TdF, but not at the same speeds. And it's the speed, sprints and crashes that get viewers all riled up and excited. Without the same level of excitement, sponsors are not interested. Which is one of the reasons women's pro racing suffers so much. Not enough drama.
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592