Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Planks :)

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by roo4 View Post
    Nice!

Now try them with your feet on the bench. Or arms on bench, feet on stability ball. Lots of fun!
    I've done them with my arms on Bosu (top and bottom) doing different things - and on the exercise ball, again doing different things on the ball. I've done them with my feet in the TRX straps, but not on bench or ball... hmmmm...sounds like fun That would certainly mix it up and present a different challenge to my body.

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    I'm one of those people who know every fitness facility in the area. I was on the Y's board for 4 years. You learn your competition. Trust me; there is no gym close to Franklin other than our own limited rec center and an area Crossfit (not for me). But thanks for offering to check.
    I had forgotten you were on the Y's board & would already know that. I think that the type of exercises they do at Crossfit is similar to metabolic/functional training - but I think there is more to Crossfit than that. I don't know enough about Crossfit to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    The things that stops me from doing planks longer than I can are my shoulders and wrists, depending on the position of the plank. I can do a minute, maybe a little bit more if I'm rested.
    My shoulders and neck must be really weak, as they always hurt when doing any upper body stuff, even when the muscle I'm working is really in my arms. I can barely do more than 5-10 front or lateral raises, even with 5 lb. weights. It all just starts spasming.
    However, after 8 months of boot camp, I can do "regular" push ups, although, sometimes when I'm on my 3d set of 18 I have to get into the girlie position. But before, I couldn't do more than 3.
    That class sounds perfect, Catrin. And exercising in the early AM usually means you stick with it. You're an early riser, so it shouldn't be that hard.
    Oakleaf, I don't know how well trained/certified your bootcamp instructors are, but if they are any good at all they should be able to help you with modifications so that you can have success with exercises as you build strength in the weak areas. Wrists can be troublesome but there are many ways to modify hand positions.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

"Full Plank" - is that on elbows/forearms in the front?
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    "Full Plank" - is that on elbows/forearms in the front?
    Yes, and tippy toes in the back.
    Last edited by Catrin; 07-04-2012 at 12:12 PM.

I'm fine with the ones on the elbow.
    It's the ones on the hands that get me.
    I just never ask for modifications, at least for the flys and stuff above the head with the bar, because I am not in real pain in my neck/shoulder area. I am just weak. It doesn't bother me except during very specific stuff; I deal with it by keeping either my weights or reps lower than I do for other stuff. I also modify stuff on my own, given the background I have in fitness, in a former life. I'm not a real pro, but I know enough, to keep myself from getting hurt. The person who teaches my class is a PT, so there's no issues with her doing contraindicated stuff. In fact, I switched one of my days, so I wouldn't have the one who just pushes everyone to the point of craziness, with no regard for individual issues.
    I guess I could ask her for some strengthening stuff for the neck and shoulders, but I am having enough trouble doing the up dogs that keep my back in shape at home.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Catrin...have you tried the planks by Shaun T ?...those are insane !!

Love Never Fails
    2012 Giant Revel 1 -MTB
    2013 Giant Defy 5 - RB(Commute/Easy Rides) "Trooper"
    2012 Diamondback Response XE MTB (my son's)

13' FUJI SUPREME 1.3C (Selle Italia Diva/Easton EC70 SL) "My Girl"

I don't understand the "in one movement" part. But when my trainer makes me do pushups, they're primarily a chest exercise. Though I whine so much about them that he hasn't made me do them in ages.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I respectfully disagree... push ups get the pecs, sure, but they are gread for the whole shoulder system, trapezeius, lats... plus if you are doing them right ( not sagging or pointing your butt in the air) it's core also.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

I respectfully disagree... push ups get the pecs, sure, but they are gread for the whole shoulder system, trapezeius, lats... plus if you are doing them right ( not sagging or pointing your butt in the air) it's core also.
    I said primarily. Meaning it's an alternative to something like a chest press in my workout. But most of the exercises in my workout involve a combination of muscles.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I've wondered how long I can hold a plank... much to my surprise I was able to hold it for 4 minutes and 53 seconds
    Holy. F*ing. Wowo. And here I was thinking I was all badass with my 30 seconds. Rock ON!
    2001 Cannondale R500 <3
    2011 Specialized Ruby Elite Apex
    2021 Tangential Speedarama

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    I don't understand the "in one movement" part. But when my trainer makes me do pushups, they're primarily a chest exercise. Though I whine so much about them that he hasn't made me do them in ages.

Start with your body flat on the ground, hands and lower arms are also on the ground with your finger tips angled in pointing at your temples. The next step is to raise your entire body at the same time into a full pushup position. No starting with the arms and then raising the rest of the body but one smooth movement going to hands and toes at the same time. Does that help to visualize it? I can get into a plank position this way, just not a pushup. Yet
    Last edited by Catrin; 07-05-2012 at 02:32 AM.

Can you find a YouTube vid of that move?
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

Can you find a YouTube vid of that move?
    I've spent the last half-hour trying to find a video, or even just a series of pictures on a website, of the special pushup that was part of my fitness assessment test but can't seem to find one. They all appear to start from an elevated position or raising the upper body before the lower body. If I do find something I will post it here. Tony made it look so easy - but after my inability to do this one he skipped the rest of the pushup part of the assessment - for which I was thankful! We already knew that I need some serious work on non-modified pushups.
    Last edited by Catrin; 07-06-2012 at 04:06 AM.

Yesterday, as we were doing the third of 3 repetitions of three sets of planks (forward, left, right side), I was thinking of you guys.
    We also did a lovely new plank like thing. This involved getting in a plank position on your hands, paper plates under your toes, and crawling across the gym floor, then pushing yourself backwards to the start. Twice.
    Did*not*like*those.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

We call those "gators". We do them with weight plates ; dragging them with our toes on the AstroTurf. I imagine what the gym floor surface is like, what they use. Do you have an ab wheel there? You know, "as seen on TV"? You can stick you feet in the loops and do it that way too. Just another variation....
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2