Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: July Running

To disable ads, please log-in.

Bringing this thread back down to the reality for all us short-distance runners (though I have huge respect and admiration for those who can run half marathons on up!):

I ran two miles on the beach today.

Actually, it was a really good thing since I only ran once in June and none and July so far. It's just been so hot! We had a tropical wave come through, bringing down temperatures. This afternoon was breezy, overcast, and cooler, so I felt inspired to run. I'd already done a 2-hour yoga class today so don't usually run on the same day, but it may be another month til we get another day like this, so I took advantage.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    I ran two miles on the beach today.
    Pictures, or it didn't happen. But no, seriously- you need to upload some more pictures so I can live vicariously through you. Good on ya!
    I admire anyone who can run on the beach. I tried that in FL a few years back and I swear I thought I was running in quicksand, it kept sucking me deeper and deeper down.

Yellow- do you run mileage in the 20's every weekend? In the mountains? With such incredible scenery? I am moving into your spare room ASAP!

Surgtech- NICE job on the 2nd week of C25K!!

Jessmarimba- love that you knocked out another half this weekend (like it's no biggie). Way to go!!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Girl View Post
    Pictures, or it didn't happen. But no, seriously- you need to upload some more pictures so I can live vicariously through you. Good on ya!
    I admire anyone who can run on the beach. I tried that in FL a few years back and I swear I thought I was running in quicksand, it kept sucking me deeper and deeper down.
    I'm not big on pictures of myself running -- I am sure I don't look great sweating and wiping my brow. If you're just interested in our life here and photos of various other things we do here, we do have a blog: http://bebelize.weebly.com

Fortunately the beach here has a packed path, so I'm not running in deep, squishy sand. THAT would be an accomplishment. This is more like an unpaved road. So, it's easy going so long as the sun isn't burning down and the temperature is lower. When I ran today it was about 80 degrees (with 80+% humidity). There was a great breeze, though.
    Emily

oh, I didn't want pictures of you running (although that would be nice), but I wanted pictures of Belize. With your blog- mission accomplished. Thanks for sharing that!

and I'm still impressed with your 2 mile beach run!

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Girl View Post
    oh, I didn't want pictures of you running (although that would be nice), but I wanted pictures of Belize. With your blog- mission accomplished. Thanks for sharing that!

and I'm still impressed with your 2 mile beach run!
    Thanks, Tri Girl -- I misunderstood about the photos, but glad the blog was what you were looking for. Enjoy!
    Emily

W2D3 completed!!!! The sides of my hips were a little sore starting out. I am going to take a day or two off before I start W3, I will bike those days
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

I had not run since June 18 and I went out yesterday for 5.9 miles (which is longer than I usually run; I usually do 3-4) and my hips are sore! I need to get back into running 2-3x/week.
    2013 Volagi Viaje
    2002 LeMond Tete de Course rebuild/"The Chimaera"
    2012 Scott Contessa Foil with Dura-Ace
    2011? budget "Takara Kabuto" Single Speed/Fixie "The Bumblebee"
    1999 Santana Team Ti 700 tandem/"Silver Streak"

Quote Originally Posted by MojoGrrl View Post
    I had not run since June 18 and I went out yesterday for 5.9 miles (which is longer than I usually run; I usually do 3-4) and my hips are sore! I need to get back into running 2-3x/week.
    I also noticed my hips were really sore on my beach run this week after about the same length layoff. Seemed to get better as the run went on, though. I would love to get back to more regular running, but until the weather cools down a smidge, or unless we get an occasional cooler/rainy day, that isn't going to happen for awhile.
    Emily

my hips do that too, even when I haven't taken any time off running. Also, on every long run I do- my abs are sore afterward. I guess that's OK that running also gives me an ab workout, but it's just weird (makes me wonder what kind of crazy running form I have that I'm getting an ab workout).

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)

My hips don't get as sore as they used to get, but I've done a LOT of core work to try and correct running pains.

But I get a weid little sore spot on my lower abs - I finally traced it to the pressure of the tied drawstring in my shorts. It's the craziest thing. They're compression shorts anyway so I'm just going to take the string out.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Our heat wave is over! Running is so much more pleasant-- I'm not sweat-soaked withing .5 mile. Did a 5 mile tempo run around the neighborhood park, and I wasn't the only one out there. There was a family (mom, dad, teenage son and daughter) going the opposite direction. First time we met, they were all running together. 2nd time, dad was out front, then kids a bit back, and mom bringing up the rear. 3rd time, dad still out front, then kids walking, and mom gaining on them. Last time I saw them, dad and kids were all walking, and mom was still running... Great fun to watch.

I ran 2.2 miles today, for the first time in almost 2 months. It's so nice out that this morning I went for a "walk" before breakfast, on what is supposed to be my rest day. I felt good, didn't take the Garmin.
    Hip is achy on right side, but it's been achy since the cycling season started. I've been making myself start doing the up dogs again, but I barely remember.
    Glad I ran, but I should have rested.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Yoga. I need to get back into yoga and strengthen those hip flexors...
    2013 Volagi Viaje
    2002 LeMond Tete de Course rebuild/"The Chimaera"
    2012 Scott Contessa Foil with Dura-Ace
    2011? budget "Takara Kabuto" Single Speed/Fixie "The Bumblebee"
    1999 Santana Team Ti 700 tandem/"Silver Streak"

Just finished W3D1 of C25K. It was warm, 85 degrees.
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

Quote Originally Posted by surgtech1956 View Post
    Just finished W3D1 of C25K. It was warm, 85 degrees.
    Yay!

Just did a sluggish 30 mins. At one point a guy passed me who smelled SO bad that I had to back off until he was a hundred feet or so ahead. Not that I smelled peachy either, but it's funny how sensitive I get when I run.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens