Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

We've rediscovered a 2nd favorite place to ride. I used to ride these trails years ago on my hybrid but the horses have caused so much damage that the trails can really only be ridden on a good quality mountain bike now. There's a loop on top of one of the mesas that was closed when we rode that area years ago. It's reopen now and it's a great place to practice skills such as wheel lifts, staying upright in the deep sand, and bike-body separation. The views from the top of the mesa are spectacular!

We were ravenous after our ride so decided to try new-to-us coffee house in a tiny town a few miles up the road from the trail. We perused the menu with mouths watering as we waited to be seated. Come to find out, the coffee house had stopped serving food 10 minutes before we arrived They were kind enough to make us a couple of lattes while they closed up shop. We'll definitely try this place again next week.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD

Catrin...I went to Brown County but got there a bit late we just got to see a few mtb riders approaching the finish line I guess they were the very last ones.
    I went with my boys , my nephew and went hiking. We had a very good time. We are definitely going back Sunday...with the bikes ..

BTW...I saw your Soul and your Jamis.... Pretty bike !!
    Last edited by Giulianna23; 08-20-2012 at 05:23 AM.

Love Never Fails
    2012 Giant Revel 1 -MTB
    2013 Giant Defy 5 - RB(Commute/Easy Rides) "Trooper"
    2012 Diamondback Response XE MTB (my son's)

13' FUJI SUPREME 1.3C (Selle Italia Diva/Easton EC70 SL) "My Girl"

Quote Originally Posted by Giulianna23 View Post
    Catrin...I went to Brown County but got there a bit late we just got to see a few mtb riders approaching the finish line I guess they were the very last ones.
    I went with my boys , my nephew and went hiking. We had a very good time. We are definitely going back Sunday...with the bikes ..

BTW...I saw your Soul and your Jamis.... Pretty bike !!
    Glad you had a good time! If you just saw a couple at the very end, then you saw the two riders in the new "Klunker" race which was the last one. To qualify as a Klunker the bike must be single speed, and ONLY have coaster brakes (no hand brakes). It helped the two in the Klunker race knows every rock and root in the trail system there - but they made it down the full course in almost the same time as on their regular bike. This was the first year for the Couples, Klunker and Drag races. I've a couple of pictures I will post later.

Drag is just like what it sounds, men must dress as women and vice-versa, and they have a "Le Mons" start. "Le Mans"?? No women entered, and only two men but they were a hoot to watch as they really got into it. I heard a good number of men discussing what they will wear NEXT year! If I had a hope of actually riding most of the course in question without killing myself I would have entered it myself - they had a LOT of fun Besides, how seriously can we take ourselves if, at the awards ceremony, there is a very big man with a beard, long blonde wig and a pink dress? The other man's ensemble was less memorable, but it was obvious they were both having a lot of fun.

Have fun next Sunday!
    Last edited by Catrin; 08-20-2012 at 08:37 AM.

I had a great mtb ride this morning with IndySteel and another friend. We rode a trail I've only ridden once before, and portion of another trail that I've not seen before. It was fun!

I've been more than a little frustrated recently with my slow progress on the trails - but the fact of the matter is that I was being too hard on myself - I've not had many chances to ride this summer. For now I am just focusing on having fun, and I succeeded today. I did bite it on the new trail when my rear wheel spun out in dust going uphill around a curve, but I am fine. I do have a lump the size of a large lemon on my hip and a bit of trail rash here and there, but that's all.

I am so glad I went today and am looking forward to returning for more!

Rode in Pittsfield State Forest today with Berkshire NEMBA on a group ride (family/beginner) as part of the NEMBA Mountain bike adventure series and...

I did not screech once! Yay!
    I can do five more miles.

I was schedule to go to Brown County State Park today but I woke up with my sinus out of control. Ran to the Pharmacy and didn't feel better until the evening. Still not too good but I promised my son I was going to take him to the trails today so I went for about an hour with him at a slow pace. It was nice and relaxing ...I feel good.

Love Never Fails
    2012 Giant Revel 1 -MTB

It was my last chance to ride the chairlift up the ski hill and try coming down their mtn bike trails, so I did it! I was pretty nervous starting out. I took a wrong turn right off the bat and began to wonder when I saw the black diamond signs! I went back and found the right trail, which was the big easy one, Elk Trail. I spun out a couple of times on turns where the dust was so thick, but I wouldn't say I fell off--more like I laid over! Acceleration control.

Down near the bottom I took another wrong turn and all of a sudden the bumps were 4' tall! I walked the steepest part, but then rode out into the parking lot and I'm sure everyone thought I had ridden that trail all the way!
    Shelley, Great Grandma Beginner
    1991 Specialized Hard Rock
    2012 Trek Superfly100 AL Elite

Occasional blogging at: My Mountain Home

I'm so glad that we have this thread. It's great to know that so many of us are mtb'ing every weekend!

Hubby and I discovered a way down the mountain on our 2nd favorite ride that has turned it into our top favorite! This ride is "pig-on-a-zip-line" fun! (In reference to the TV commercial with the pig squealing "wheeeee" all the way down a zip-line)

This new section that we found includes a super steep service road that's deeply and heavily rutted. The sign at the top of the road warns:"Steep and Rough, Enter At Your Own Risk". They're right - it's steep enough to require a dropped saddle, butt hovering over the back wheel position all the way down. The many ruts are simple enough to negotiate if a person picks their lines well. Riding this road reminds me of the first time that I was big enough to ride the "big kid rides" at the amusement park!

After riding this very fun service road, it drops into a few miles of vaguely downhill, flowy, single track, that alternates between open grasslands and forested areas with aspen groves. The single track includes lots of short moguls that my hubby jumps...I just roll over them at up to 17mph. The forested areas are going to be ablaze in color in the next month. I can't wait to go back!
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD

I was schedule to go to Brown County State Park today but I woke up with my sinus out of control. Ran to the Pharmacy and didn't feel better until the evening. Still not too good but I promised my son I was going to take him to the trails today so I went for about an hour with him at a slow pace. It was nice and relaxing ...I feel good.
    Sorry to read that you had to bail on the BCSP ride yesterday, glad you were still able to get out there and ride a bit with your son!

I hope to hit Pine Loop at BCSP at some point next Sunday afternoon or Monday morning to check out my new tire combination - you are welcome to join me. That is assuming life, and rain, doesn't interfere

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Sorry to read that you had to bail on the BCSP ride yesterday, glad you were still able to get out there and ride a bit with your son!

I hope to hit Pine Loop at BCSP at some point next Sunday afternoon or Monday morning to check out my new tire combination - you are welcome to join me. That is assuming life, and rain, doesn't interfere
    Catrin I was just thinking about if any of you were planning on going any day next weekend.... Yes...of course I will join you... just let me know at least by Thursday which day you are going..so I can organize my weekend ahead of time.

Love Never Fails
    2012 Giant Revel 1 -MTB

Catrin I was just thinking about if any of you were planning on going any day next weekend.... Yes...of course I will join you... just let me know at least by Thursday which day you are going..so I can organize my weekend ahead of time.
    I will try, but I may not know that early. We will see as things develop.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I will try, but I may not know that early. We will see as things develop.
    OK...I will just leave my Sunday eve and Monday morning open just in case. I really want to go to BCSP and check out them trails.

Love Never Fails
    2012 Giant Revel 1 -MTB

OK...I will just leave my Sunday eve and Monday morning open just in case. I really want to go to BCSP and check out them trails.
    It looks like the leftovers from the "little" storm in the Gulf will start hitting here early Saturday afternoon - and depending on the amount of rain we get the trails could well be closed due to being too wet or fallen trees. I am just going to head down Friday after work (I get off at 10:30 am on Fridays), and ride then. I will let you know the next time I head south on a weekend. The Hoosier Mountain Bike Association is suggesting folks get their ride in before Saturday, and I am listening

No problem Catrin...

I just got back a couple of hours ago from the Avon trails.
    I went with a group from HMBA forum and I had a blast!...I had a heck of a workout...We did around 8 miles on the beginners trail and at some point we hit around 10mph.

They said I was sandbagging them when I told them in the forum that I just started mountain biking a few weeks ago.....not sure exactly what that means though

They have this group that get together every tuesday

Love Never Fails
    2012 Giant Revel 1 -MTB

No problem Catrin...

I just got back a couple of hours ago from the Avon trails.
    I went with a group from HMBA forum and I had a blast!...I had a heck of a workout...We did around 8 miles on the beginners trail and at some point we hit around 10mph.

They said I was sandbagging them when I told them in the forum that I just started mountain biking a few weeks ago.....not sure exactly what that means though

They have this group that get together every tuesday
    Glad you had a good time! They meant that they didn't believe you are a beginner, it wasn't an insult