Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Did a night ride on Friday and rode with my new race team today. I really feel lost technically, hoping to recover my fitness AND my mojo.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie_Ama View Post
    Did a night ride on Friday and rode with my new race team today. I really feel lost technically, hoping to recover my fitness AND my mojo.

Hugs and good vibes your way in that regard (:

I rode on the trails for a second time this year. The first time I was alone and my energy was over in 1 hour. Today I had company and I had fueled a lot with carbs before that and my energy was stable for 3,5 hours withot even snacking!
    The trail was muddy and I lost control a lot of times in the dirt. But at the wet rocks on the dowhills I felt very stable with my front Minion and rear Ardent. At the end of the ride: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	480399_4499522526967_1165131697_n.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	16054

Wow, Anelia...3.5 hours in the mud! I've done up to 2 hours in the snow and mud but then I get burned out just trying to keep the bike upright and pointed in the right direction.

Our weather is just now clearing from near blizzard conditions today. More snow and mud riding next weekend.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD

Weekend MTB Rides

I take it mud riding is not frowned upon in your area because your soils are stable enough to not be damaged?
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

The bikes don't damage the soil because the trails are covered with damp leaves. But when cars and trucks tramp on the paths, things get terrible And this is where we get muddy: on the vehicle tracks

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    I take it mud riding is not frowned upon in your area because your soils are stable enough to not be damaged?
    I have no idea whether our soils are stable. What I do know is that tire ruts seem to level out with no permanent damage to the trails after the soil dries out each year. Also, mud riding does not seem to be frowned upon around here.

Maybe I'm missing something. Do you have more info on muddy, unstable, trail soils that you can share?
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB

Weekend MTB Rides

It varies hugely from locale to locale on what is acceptable for minimizing trail damage. It really depends on soil type, percentage of clay, how much precipitation you get, how fast it drains and so on. Your local trails group will have information for you. In some areas it's a really big deal, so much as to posted closures. Soils that are high in clay can be some of the worst as they hold ruts for weeks.

In some places, one of the things that happens is that the single track is widened by everyone going around puddles. You get a trail that was 16" wide turning into a much wider path, and not so "single". In other places ruts will hold there shape and deform the trail. Sandy soils drain really fast and is generally not a problem. Like I said, check with your local trails group to see what is recommended for your area.

The city of Boise has a very active trail closure program, for example.
    http://www.ridgetorivers.org/etiquette/muddy-trails/
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Our local mtb association maintains a website with color coded current conditions for riding at each of the trail systems, which include green (go ride), yellow (ride with some caution), red (trails are closed, usually due to wet conditions) and blue (trails are closed due to freeze/thaw cycle). Even when there's a yellow, those familiar with the trails now that some drain better than others and that the poorly draining trails should be avoided. We're also instructed to ride through, not around, puddles. Clay soil predominates in Indiana and riding the trails when they're wet causes lasting damage.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Thanks, Irulan and Indy. We do have some of the conditions you describe in the low areas. Fortunately, the terrain pretty much forces everyone to stay on the trails and ruts don't last long after the trails dry out. Besides, riding THROUGH the mud and snow is part of the fun of winter riding. I'll see if I can find some local resources for recommendations.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB

Irulan, yes we in Boise tend to frown on anyone who rides, runs or walks on muddy trails. Living in the high desert we have pretty fragile soil, despair greatly over those who widen trails by "hopping off to the side" to avoid mud and puddles. We stick to two track roads, gravel and pave until the trails dry out. I expect to start to see daily posting now reminding people to stay off the trails until the weather warms up.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Saturday we rode the fire trail up Gazos Creek Road, from Gazos Creek Beach.

It was so beautiful - walls of ferns along the way, blooming flora and fauna everywhere. It was a little messy from the rain and from four wheelers messing up the road - I was slipping and sliding everywhere, but it was much more fun than scary. The pea soup thick fog lifted just as we reached the top, and the view of the coast was spectacular. The most exciting and edgy part of the ride was the huge population of banana slugs out in force. I have a strong distaste for anything spineless, and banana slugs are pretty high up on the list. So, the ride down was a banana slugfest slalom! I feel confident I finished the race - because I did not smush one slug. For that, I was awarded a huge bunch of the most luscious watercress, along with a bunch of calla lilies, all wild, and picked on the side of the road back to the truck. What an amazing ride, I can't wait to do it again next weekend when the endless wild iris shoots I saw should be blooming.
    Last edited by maiforpeace; 04-01-2013 at 09:26 AM.

Saturday our bike club rode with the Huntsville High School mountain bike race team at Huntsville State Park. Let's see....43 versus fifteen 15-18 year olds, both boys and girls. I learned that A) I'm old and B) not a fan of sandy hills. There was one section where it was uphill in sand climbing roots. I decided a sadist had made that section of the trail. After about 12 miles I had had all the fun I could stand.

On the flip side it's probably a good place for me to hill train. I need that...don't like it, but I need it!
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Great ride today! We did some wine tasting in a village near my home town. The weather was perfect! Pictures

Great pics, Anelia. Were some of them of your backyard? And what was up with the steep stairs? It looks like there was quite a discussion about them but I don't read a bit of Bulgarian. In fact, I don't even recognize some of the alphabet characters!
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB