Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleTree View Post
    I miss Gogo. . Who is the new guy?? He is not as good of a commentator.
    Is Gogo still on Universal Sports?

Who do you mean by "the new guy"? If you're talking about Liam McHugh, he was commentating on the tour on Versus last year, so he's hardly new. I personally think he's pretty good.

Ed to add: Oh, wait, sorry, you're talking about the other guy w Liam & Bobke - Scott. Yeah, he's pretty unremarkable so far, which is why I forgot about him. My bad!

Or are you longing for Al Trautwig?? aka The. Worst. Cycling. Commentator. Ever. Again, just imho.

That said, I was watching some of the US Olympic Gymnastics trials this weekend, and I have to admit Al didn't put my teeth on edge the way he used to. Either he's gotten better, or maybe I've mellowed ... nah, he must have gotten better.
    Last edited by jobob; 07-02-2012 at 06:10 AM.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

There's a "TDF for Dummies" book available. It's on Kindle if you use one. Also, the early morning show does have the predictions... which I agree are fun.

Did you see how effortlessly George Hincappie guided Evans to the front of the peloton yesterday? I'll really miss watching GH if he does in fact retire this year.

I enjoyed watching the climb yesterday and the finish. It's going to be a good one.

Also, there is a free iphone app that is outstanding. It's called "Sportal Tour 2012".
    2013: Riding a Dolce sport compact for fun and a vintage Jetter with cargo rack for commuting

www.bike-sby.org: A network of concerned cyclists working to make our city more bicycle friendly.

I am not 100% sure it's the NBC app. The Apple TV device works with I Pads, Macs, I Phones. We didn't get one for our bigger TV in our family room, just for the kitchen, where we usually hang out, so now we will get another one.
    And yes, you can watch it any time. My schedule no longer permits me to watch it live every morning . We didn't have time to watch the 3 hours of racing yesterday, so we just watched the last half hour, during dinner.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

The Phil Paul Bob predictions thing is still going, but I think they don't show it for every broadcast. Before the time trial, they were joking about how Phil has won for several years in a row, and McHugh quipped something like "be careful or USADA will come knocking at your door." He keeps up with the news anyway.

There was another guy named Scott, I think. He looked like a cyclist.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

I looked him up: Scott Moninger.

I really do watch the race too. If Sagan had taken a turn at the end, he could have gained a few seconds and probably still gotten the stage win. I think it was a mistake to let Fabu pull him all the way.

I just love the Tour!! DH and I are talking about going next year for our 25th anniversary.

I have the app for the Iphone, and I agree that it is excellent.

I love listening to Phil and Paul. They are so entertaining!

I was heartbroken at Tony Martin's time trial. He was my pick with Fabian 2nd. Still love Fabian though.
    Trek Madone - 5.5 -Brooks B-17

Trek 2.1 WSD - Brooks - B-17 - Trainer bike;

Gary Fisher - Tassajara (MTB) - Specialized Ariel

And Tony Martin crashed yesterday in stage 1. Looks like he's just having that sort of tour.

Quote Originally Posted by jobob View Post
    Or are you longing for Al Trautwig?? aka The. Worst. Cycling. Commentator. Ever. Again, just imho.
    Agreed!!! Trautwig made Le Tour almost unwatchable! So glad to listen to Phil and Paul. Phil somehow manages to even make a semi-boring flat stage - with a breakaway group that you know will get caught - sound exciting and worth not fast-forwarding to the sprint finish.

I have been impressed with Peter Sagan and the amazing year he has had so far, but I was not very impressed with his cocky gestures yesterday after Fabian towed him to the line. I can understand/agree with, him not taking a turn and I can also understand letting him have his finish line self-salutes, but I can't see those gestures after someone else has just pulled you to the line.

My own prediction for the GC is Wiggins.

2001 Trek 7500 FX, converted to a hauler - Serfas
    200? Marin hybrid - Selle San Marco
    2004 Trek 5200 - Avatar
    2011 Trek 6.2 Madone - Ruby

Quote Originally Posted by Anyabeth View Post
    Do any of you know of a good guide explaining how the whole race works? I admit that I don't understand any of it but would love to be able to follow along more knowledgably.
    First remember that the tour is a mass event with different competitions of different durations, some with a more individual focus and some completely team focussed. This means that not every rider is trying to accomplish the same thing.

Check out the rules:
    http://www.letour.fr/le-tour/2012/us...kes-rules.html

And the Prizes:
    http://www.letour.fr/le-tour/2012/docs/reglement.pdf
    The prize section starts about page 19 of that big pdf.

Just for fun, I thought these commercials aired during the TDF were good:

Quote Originally Posted by malkin View Post
    First remember that the tour is a mass event with different competitions of different durations, some with a more individual focus and some completely team focussed. This means that not every rider is trying to accomplish the same thing.

Check out the rules:
    http://www.letour.fr/le-tour/2012/us...kes-rules.html

And the Prizes:
    http://www.letour.fr/le-tour/2012/docs/reglement.pdf
    The prize section starts about page 19 of that big pdf.
    There used to be articles in Bicycling magazine that explained it all to new fans, but I couldn't find anything on their website this year.

Feel free to ask us questions about anything that doesn't make sense!!

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I'd just like to say chapeau to Markov -- three consecutive days in the break to keep his polka dot jersey. Impressive.

And Fabian is working to keep yellow, like the champion he is.

I think I like Scott Moninger. He does have a low-key style, which is more noticeable next to Bob Roll and all his gestures. But he seems to know his stuff, which I appreciate.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Here is a tour primer:

http://velovoices.com/peloton-primer...our-de-france/

Look at the menu on the top left (screenshot attached) for more sections.

Good videos to watch are the Le Tour Official History 1903-2003 (nearly 2 hours) and an 18 min documentary with 1962 footage, Vive Le Tour (part 2 here) -- I think the latter is neat because it captures different facets of the race.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	primer_menu.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	14715  
    Last edited by pll; 07-03-2012 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Adding information

Quote Originally Posted by malkin View Post
    I looked him up: Scott Moninger.

I really do watch the race too. If Sagan had taken a turn at the end, he could have gained a few seconds and probably still gotten the stage win. I think it was a mistake to let Fabu pull him all the way.
    Yeah, Moninger... he has a low monotone voice, makes it hard to listen to him. At least Craig Hummer is still around. I know Gogo was on Universal, but he did cover the TdF last year, and I thought really added to the commentary. I was sorry to see he isn't here this year.

What utter chaos on the finish line this morning. Is there going to be any stopping Peter Sagan???? Wow!!
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"