Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Regarding the crashes....this year it seems the Pelaton does not care about who is caught up in the crashes. They don't slow. They still just chase and try and get their sprinters up there. When I first started watching the tour it seemed like they were more "gentlemenly" about holding up a bit to let the others catch up. They realized how unfortunate it was for those caught up behind a crash. No more nice guy in the tour!

I also have to have to admit I am a Sagan fan and love how he is making it fun for himself (and us watching)!

K
    katluvr

I have to say I am in awe of many cyclists, who do an effort to learn additional languages. Can you imagine that in basketball or football? Peter Sagan's English is improving so much and he is fluent in Italian. The celebrations are suggested by his team mates. He obliges and I find that kind of cute.

Quote Originally Posted by katluvr View Post
    Regarding the crashes....this year it seems the Pelaton does not care about who is caught up in the crashes. They don't slow. They still just chase and try and get their sprinters up there. When I first started watching the tour it seemed like they were more "gentlemenly" about holding up a bit to let the others catch up. They realized how unfortunate it was for those caught up behind a crash. No more nice guy in the tour!

I also have to have to admit I am a Sagan fan and love how he is making it fun for himself (and us watching)!

K
    I wonder if race radios and copying of strategies are to blame for these crashes. I was reading the news release from Euskatel Euskadi, following yesterday's stage and one thing jumped at me. One of the riders said that everybody was trying to get to the front as if they were all going to win the Tour. Clearly, if every team is trying to get to the front, there is a physical impossibility!

Another factor that could be at play is the European crisis, in the sense that many sponsorships may be under risk. This might lead many riders to try to place well and impress, just in case their team goes belly up (think Team Geox -- despite winning the Vuelta a España, they lost sponsorship with little notice).

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    HULK SMASH

So it turns out that Greipel separated his shoulder in one of the crashes. And still came thisclose to winning the sprint.
    I went looking for the medical report from Lotto Belisol: "contusion of the right shoulder, a contusion of the right wrist, a cut on the thumb, a contusion of the left shoulder and lacerations to left knee, elbow and shoulder." Suspected dislocation of right shoulder in the first fall -- a site that he has injured before. Definitely impressive. I had thought the agony face at the finish line was more than the sprint effort.

Re: the language thing.
    DH and I look at each other in dismay as the riders answer reporter's questions in 3, 4, 5 languages after each stage. I can't even learn one other language well, and I actually enjoy that type of learning.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Re: the language thing.
    DH and I look at each other in dismay as the riders answer reporter's questions in 3, 4, 5 languages after each stage. I can't even learn one other language well, and I actually enjoy that type of learning.
    I think it comes from early exposure to several languages... Cancellara, the most notable multi-language interviewee is Swiss - he probably grew up with people speaking German, Swiss German, Italian and French all around him. Other people that I know who speak many languages often learned at least 2 young. It wires your brain to be able to learn more. Makes me wish I'd been taught another when I was wee.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Quote Originally Posted by AppleTree View Post
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/phot...in-metz/230306

Peter Sagan's bell. A new trend for pro's?
    I am enjoying Sagan more and more!
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Quote Originally Posted by malkin View Post
    I am enjoying Sagan more and more!
    +1. He showed up to today's stage with his bell, again! See here.

Also, to the theory of same tactics across teams, a quote from Voeckler:

the main thing responsible is this…” Voeckler said, pointing to the radio earpiece dangling out of the collar of his jersey.

“You’ve got the directeurs sportifs from 22 teams saying ‘you have to be up there, you have to be up there,’” Voeckler continued. “Well, if you have 198 riders like that on a road that’s only seven metres wide, then there’s not going to be room for anyone else. Voilà.” (Cycling News)

Quote Originally Posted by pll View Post
    +1. He showed up to today's stage with his bell, again! See here.

Also, to the theory of same tactics across teams, a quote from Voeckler:

the main thing responsible is this…” Voeckler said, pointing to the radio earpiece dangling out of the collar of his jersey.

“You’ve got the directeurs sportifs from 22 teams saying ‘you have to be up there, you have to be up there,’” Voeckler continued. “Well, if you have 198 riders like that on a road that’s only seven metres wide, then there’s not going to be room for anyone else. Voilà.” (Cycling News)
    Now that's ironic. When they raced a stage (I think last year) with no radios, everyone was freaking out about it being too dangerous without them.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by redrhodie View Post
    Now that's ironic. When they raced a stage (I think last year) with no radios, everyone was freaking out about it being too dangerous without them.
    No kidding.
    I think there should be 1 or 2 designated radio wearers for each team. Like the prime domestique with proven bike handling skill.

Did NBC stop showing the early live broadcast?
    Was it because of the broadcast of Cavendish saying "Oh please! @#$% off!" live on the air?
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Quote Originally Posted by malkin View Post
    Did NBC stop showing the early live broadcast?
    Was it because of the broadcast of Cavendish saying "Oh please! @#$% off!" live on the air?
    The early morning broadcast was on regular NBC, not NBC Sports (the former Versus). Here's the link ny_biker posted a few months ago: http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/424535...ports-cycling/

I'm enjoying catching up on the tour through video and pictures. I can't wait to see how it all shakes out in the end.

I'm biding time until the Olympics start. Now, there's my true sports passion and there are SO many years between them. Ugh.
    2013: Riding a Dolce sport compact for fun and a vintage Jetter with cargo rack for commuting

www.bike-sby.org: A network of concerned cyclists working to make our city more bicycle friendly.

I set my DVR to record "new episodes on any channel" for the tour and this morning it recorded from the non-HD version of NBC. Fail!! I love the scenic HD camera shots from the helicopter. Fortunately the DVR thinks the prime time coverage is also a "new episode" so I have that to watch.

Something that occurred to me about these crashes -- they really underscore how incredibly lucky Lance and all the 5-time winners were. Regardless of who did or did not take drugs, just managing to stay upright and uninjured for so many tours is pretty amazing. Same for a guy like Hincapie, or any of the sprinters who have won multiple green jerseys.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Just watched the race live. What a GREAT finish!! I won't mention the winner in case you haven't seen it but his country is so proud, as they should be.

Plus, I tried regular NBC and HD NBC. What a crazy difference!!
    2013: Riding a Dolce sport compact for fun and a vintage Jetter with cargo rack for commuting

www.bike-sby.org: A network of concerned cyclists working to make our city more bicycle friendly.

What an exciting stage today.
    DH and I keep saying we never thought we'd see the day that cycling was on NBC for 2 days in a row.
    At least I got to see some of the ads you guys were talking about. I like the Specialized one, but nothing will replace the mojito dance for me. Back the NBC app/Apple TV tomorrow.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport