Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Presta valve

Presta valve

To disable ads, please log-in.

Believe it or not, I now have 2,000 miles on my beloved Gunnar My tires are Continental Travel Contacts. I LOVE these tires, I tell you, after 2k miles they still have a lot of miles in them and don't look much different than new. My question, however, is about one of the tubes, not the tire.

I check tire pressure before every ride, always. As I've never had a flat, my tubes are the same as when I brought the bike home 14 months ago. A few weeks back, when unscrewing the Presta valve to check the air on my rear tires, the Presta "pin" came all the way out. I screwed it back in and there doesn't seem to be a problem but that valve hasn't seemed to be as tight as on my front tire since then. Even the actual valve cover doesn't tighten properly - but that isn't a concern.

Is a loose pin on a Presta valve a problem? I don't want to throw on a new tube if it isn't needed, but I don't know if this is an issue or not.
    Last edited by Catrin; 07-01-2012 at 04:29 PM.

Well, it really sucks when the head of the presta valve comes off the valve and gets stuck in the pump after you put air in the tire.

I would replace it.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    Well, it really sucks when the head of the presta valve comes off the valve and gets stuck in the pump after you put air in the tire.

I would replace it.
    I didn't think about THAT possibly happening, I was wondering if a wonky Presta valve could cause it to lose air...

Yeah, I'd replace it, just to be on the safe side.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I mentioned this as a side note at my LBS this afternoon when I dropped by to pick something up and they also said to change the tube...and apparently they can replace the valve core properly. They said I don't have the right tool for it but they can fix the valve and it can still serve as a spare.