Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Smile West Suburban Illinois Women's cycling club

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello.

I'm from the burbs of Chicago and want to start a women's cycling club. The local clubs cater mostly to men and I'm tired of getting dropped by them, plus I want some fellow women cyclists to ride with. How do I go about starting a women's cycling club? Any tips, sites to visit, etc. Any an all help is welcomed.
    Anyone locally who is interested in riding with me or being involved in this group?

Thanks,
    Melinda

Hi Melinda!

I'd totally be interested in riding with you!

Which burb are you in?

Hi Melinda

I'd be up for getting a group of women riders together. I currently live in Bartlett but am moving to Oak Park in May/June. I've been in a club out here that's 99% men (th 1% being me and the occassional woman who joins for a few rides then drops out). While I like riding with men because it pushes me, I'd like to offset that a bit with some more casual stuff. I've been in contact with the Oak Park Cycle Club which seems to have a better mix. I'm not sure what burb you're in though and if that would be convenient. From what I've been told, they average 16-18 mph on their rides. If you get something going let us know!
    "Only the meek get pinched, the bold survive"

Oh I hear you on the tickets. Especially with the stupid permits. I lived there about 5 years ago. I had one to park in a lot, and I parked on the street overnight in a different "street permit" section and got tickets ALL the time. I was like what does it matter, I paid for a stupid permit. If anything parking on the street was a downgrade in spots! But, I go to school in the city so the commute from Bartlett is killing me. I'm going to be doing more work at Northwestern hospital starting in July, so I have to move closer. It'll be nice to ride the L in again. Are you riding outside yet? I usually don't go outside til march/april.

For inspiration, you can visit my club's web site:
    http://www.dizzychicks.com/
    (the name is the coolest around)

Maybe a good place to begin would be to decide the focus of your club: more social, or more racey? Athletes development or female empowerment... or both? This should guide you in designing your rides and organization...

Wow. I work at Northwestern Memorial Hospital now. That is too weird.

When do you move to Oak Park? What kind of work do you do? If you have any questions about NMH, let me know! I say we start riding when the weather gets a little warmer - what do you think? I go out sometimes when the temp is above 45 or so...usually that's my cutoff. And if there's snow, forget it!
    Last edited by Fuji Girl; 01-30-2006 at 06:19 PM.

Hey Beta and Fuji,

I live up by Addison and Western, and work at Illinois Masonic Hosp. I've been both a student and a patient at NMH. Once it gets warmer than (let me check) 20 degrees out , I'd love to join you on some rides.

My sister lives in Oak Park--one thing about those parking tickets--they're a lot cheaper than Chicago's!

Lise
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

Quote Originally Posted by Lise
    Hey Beta and Fuji,

I live up by Addison and Western, and work at Illinois Masonic Hosp. I've been both a student and a patient at NMH. Once it gets warmer than (let me check) 20 degrees out , I'd love to join you on some rides.

My sister lives in Oak Park--one thing about those parking tickets--they're a lot cheaper than Chicago's!

Lise
    Hi Lise! I'll PM you when the weather gets warmer (probably won't be for awhile, the forecast does not look hopeful).

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Girl
    Hi Lise! I'll PM you when the weather gets warmer (probably won't be for awhile, the forecast does not look hopeful).
    Sounds good. The PM, that is, not the forecast! ah, Chicago. L.
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

I'm in Chicago too!!

I'm completely interested also. I ride more for pure joy or transportation, not for racing, so other people on my level would be cool. Also, thinking of the burbs, can you take your bike on the Metra? I don't know the policy, I know I can take them on the bus or el, but I'd like to do a trail in the burbs (where I won't get run down by people using the bike lane as another driving lane)
    Thanks
    Erika

Yeah you can take bikes on Metra now. You can't do it during peak times. If you check their website, the schedules show how many bikes can go on the train.

Looks like we have a good group to get together in the city. Once it gets warm. COME ON ALREADY!!!

have y'all gone riding yet?

I googled "women's cycling club chicago" and this is where it brought me. I would totally be down to getting a group together to ride. The weather is finally getting warm enough (almost...i am a weather wimp.)
    I live in Little Italy and work a block from Northwestern Memorial Hospital.

Anyone training for the naperville or the chicago tri this summer?

I'd love to join in - but I have a rigorous training program that will keep me tied up with other groups on weekends until October

Have fun though.
    By the way, I am training with Chicago Endurance Sports - which has an awesome Accenture Tri training program.