Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Donating blood

To disable ads, please log-in.

I think that the reason there's a weight limit and the reason that petite folks might take it harder, is simply that you donate the same amount no matter the size of your body. I asked on my first trip if big tall guys donated more, but no, 500 ml is the standard size. So small people donate a slighter larger percentage of the total amount of blood in their body.

I also think (lotsa thinking going here!) that being fit is going to help you recover from donating, but fit people live active lives and will feel the lack of energy a lot more keenly.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Shooting Star, I'm surprised you were allowed to donate. In the US, you have to weigh more than 110.
    I gave blood over 25 yrs. ago. Guess things have changed since then. I haven't checked the latest. I know..I need my blood.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

It think the weight limit has to do with blood volume. A person under 110lb does not have the volume to give, hence my passing out while still on the table giving. I did have a nice story to tell after the "giving" (they had to stop before they got the full amount so it got tossed). When I went to college I was told I was type O. After the donation I found I was A+ so I did have a few questions for my mother when I got home. Plus, it was the only A-plus I got while at college.
    fs

I have long been on the borderline on both weight and blood pressure for being able to give blood. There were regular blood drives at work, so one time I just decided to go for it to see what happened. I had successfully given a few years before when I was a bit heavier. This time, I only weighed around 105 but told them I weighed 110. Big mistake. They couldn't get enough blood out of me in the time limit, so the blood I did manage to donate (about 3/4 a bag) would have to be trashed. I had laid there for 45 minutes trying to give enough, and the needle was in kind of a painful position, so it was pretty miserable.

The requirements are there for a reason, and I learned my lesson at trying to get around them -- my intentions were good, but not worth it!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Long ago they used to take 1/2 pints - my very petite mom used to donate, but now with the amount of testing that they have to do on each donation it isn't worth the effort to take less than a full pint, so us small folks are no longer eligible.

My husband used to be a pretty regular donor (he's got a couple of those pins for # of gallons).... but they got him into platelets and plain wore him out, they were calling what felt like constantly (you can give much more often than whole blood), plus giving platelets is a longer and more involved process. He'll probably give again sometime, but at this point he's burned out...
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    I've never done this, but I think I would like to.

How does it affect your ability to exercise -- short bike ride or other cardio, weight training, long bike ride -- and for how long?

Thanks
    Haha, I bike home from the donor clinic (I usually walk the first half though, to make sure I'm not going to pass out). I weigh about 150. Last few times I've donated, I've had bad reactions - light headed, kind of feel like throwing up, ugh, it kind of sucks but I'm determined to stick it out and keep doing this. I've also had problems passing the finger-prick test - iron levels I think? My body has made it clear that it's better for me to wait a few weeks over the minimum before donating again, which they say is common for women.

Drink a lot of water before you go, the day before as well as day-of. Take it easy for a few days after, you can still do things but listen to your body and stop if you need to. Just don't make plans that might get you stuck in the middle of nowhere, and you'll be fine.

The reason I started donating again was I read a book called "Blood: the epic history of medicine and commerce". It's really good and it's still my favorite non-fiction book after all these years.

so did you end up donating blood?

I donated a few times before I had a really bad experience (feeling faint, nauseous, hot, sweaty) nearing the end of the donation so I stopped donating after that.

But my dad ended up getting leukemia and required a lot of blood transfusions, so when the blood mobile came to work, I signed up. The nurse was WONDERFUL, stayed by my side the whole time, talked me through it all distracting me, gave me warm water filled glove to massage with my hand, etc. I had none of the previous problems.

I've donated twice since, both when the blood mobile comes to work. I haven't had any problems and I do wish I can donate more but might as well do it while getting paid! I'm interested in donating plasma as I'm AB+ and we're universal plasma donors (total opposite for whole blood).

Anyways, in terms of exercise, I remember going swimming the day after the first time I donated. I sure felt it, I had very little zip and had a pretty tough workout.

Like others have said, drinking water about an hour before donating really helps.

LeeBob and I are donating blood tomorrow. We donate pretty regularly at the Stanford Blood Center (the Hillview site which is off-campus), and we schedule our donations for late morning, so we have a good excuse to take ourselves out to lunch afterwards.

I try to schedule for early in the week, usually Monday, so that any effects from donating are pretty much over by the weekend. That said, I usually don't have problems with donating ... heh, but now that I said this, watch tomorrow be an exception.

Once in a while I'll be rejected for low iron. This doesn't necessarily mean that I'm anemic, since the minimum iron level needed to donate whole blood is a bit above the "normal" threshhold. Nowadays I take iron supplements a week or two ahead of time.

I'm not biking a heck of a lot nowadays, or doing anything particularly athletic*, so I can't comment on how it affects a training program. I'll probably just take it easy for a day or so.

*Although I'm getting a lot of exercise today running back & forth to the bathroom, since like the rest of you I've found being well hydrated helps a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Girl View Post
    I feel like it's my duty to donate because I'm healthy and able, and hopefully, if I should ever need blood, there will be enough healthy and able people who were just as willing to give to save my life.
    Yep!
    Last edited by jobob; 07-15-2012 at 05:20 PM.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Lightbulb A tip for those with borderline Hb levels

If you're like me & tend to just barely pass the iron test, I've learned something the past few times I've donated:

Make sure your hands are warm when they poke your finger for the iron test!

The last two times I donated, including yesterday, my hands were a bit chilly, and the first time I was tested my Hb level was under the requisite 12.5 (yesterday it was initally 12.1, the last time I donated it was initally 11.9).

In both instances, I warmed my hands up a bit and was re-tested a few minutes later. And both times, my re-tested Hb level came out to 12.9, good to go.

I'm told this has something to do with one's circulation, and that if you don't have good circulation in your hands, more plasma is introduced into the blood sample, diluting it a bit resulting an anomalously low Hb level. Maybe those of you in the medical field can comment more coherently on this.

While he was in the waiting area (I was called in before he was, neener), LeeBob was talking to a woman who was holding a paper cup containing warm water. She has the same issue with cold hands, so she routinely holds a warm cup of water while waiting for her Hb test.

So from now on I'll try to remember to bring a cup of hot herbal tea to enjoy while waiting to be called for the test.

Cool Donating blood enhances one's wardrobe

When I donated yesterday it was during Stanford's summer blood drive and they were giving away T-shirts with a jaunty blue tie-dye pattern.

And this morning I received an email informing me that, now that I've made my 4th donation in 2012, I will now get their Four Season's T-shirt. Last year's Four Season's T was a very soft long sleeved T in a nice deep red, this years is a in tasteful gray. Oh boy oh boy!

I admit it, I likes my blood donor swag ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FourSeasons2012WithPopout_2.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	14790  
    Last edited by jobob; 07-17-2012 at 10:18 AM. Reason: uploaded img

I may get into the blood donor thing...

#tshirtw*ore - that's me

I wish I could donate blood. I tried in HS during a blood drive at our school and they couldn't get any blood out. They beat the hell out of my arm in the process too. Same thing when I tried in my late 20's when I lived in PA (it's a ***** getting a IV started on me, too). I *almost* gave up after that but then decided to give it a shot shortly after moving here to OR.

Apparently, in Oregon, you cannot give blood if you or your sexual partner has ever used anabolic steroids even if the steroids were not by transfusion. Huh? My husband used anabolic steroids over 20 years ago (under a doctors supervision and orally) and yet, because we've had sex within the past year, I can't give blood. Makes a ton of sense, right?

Good for those of you who do. I think it's a very important cause!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Wow, I agree, that sounds bizzare. The pre-donation questionaire asks if I've ever taken anabolic steroids but IIRC there's nothing about a partner taking them.

The way I see it, there are loads of things that can prevent a person from being able to donate blood. Since I'm fortunate enough to be able to do so, and it doesn't cause me any real discomfort, it's an easy way for me to help earn my keep in the world ... and cookies & T shirts.