Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

CO single tracks

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey!
    I'm going to Colorado for a week in July with my bikes! I got a day or two for mt biking and am thinking of riding the CO Trail from Kenosha Pass to Georgia Pass.
    Just wondering if anyone here's done that and if so is it a good one? (good as in awesome mt views and exciting and not too technical...I'm a rookie). Or, if there are any other wicked single tracks that cannot be passed up? There's so many to chose from!!! (not restricted to any particular range, as long as it's in CO!)
    Thanks!

I know nothing about CO singletrack, but as flatlanders, DH and I struggled a bit on a recent mountain bike trip to Canyonlands in Utah at 5k feet. How hard do you anticipate it being riding for you to ride at 9k+ feet? I would, in the very least, give yourself some time to acclimate to the altitude before embarking on the ride and recognize that it's likely going to be challenging aerobically, even if the technicality of the trail itself is okay for your skill level.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

You might be restricted by fire and air quality. Kenosha Pass is fine right now, but things change daily. And biking in smokey conditions is no fun. Colorado has its own brand of single track. If you are truly a rookie, you might look for specific beginner rides. Buffalo Pass comes to mind. But the ride is through a burn area.
    Kenosha Pass is beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahkonamojo View Post
    You might be restricted by fire and air quality. Kenosha Pass is fine right now, but things change daily. And biking in smokey conditions is no fun. Colorado has its own brand of single track. If you are truly a rookie, you might look for specific beginner rides. Buffalo Pass comes to mind. But the ride is through a burn area.
    Kenosha Pass is beautiful.
    I agree. I have done Kenosha..there is a fair amount of climbing involved so if you ride it bring your climbing legs and lungs. :-)

There are some real nice parts of Buff Creek if you hit up the CT trail.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    I was wondering the same thing. Hopefully (fires and weather permitting), at the end of next month we will be camping near Leadville for a few days prior to climbing Mt. Elbert (our first 14'er) and we were going to ride bikes for a couple days prior to help with the acclimation.
    I've decided on doing Hagerman Road up to Hagerman Pass. I think I'll be much more comfortable climbing jeep roads/forest service roads than riding singletrack. Our singletrack here in the flatlands has me nervous enough with the descents- I can't imagine the terror I would have to endure trying to descend some actual mountain trails.

Has anyone ever ridden Hagerman Tunnel Trail or the road?
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Oh, yes, sorry Buffalo Creek.
    I have ridden Hagerman both sides of the pass and to the tunnel. The road is steep but doable. The west side is less steep and/or bumpy. There will be traffic. The railroad grade to the tunnel is fun as well. (On the east side.) It is a railroad grade, so not steep. There are some detours that take a little more effort.
    If you are looking for mellow rides, old railroad grades are mostly good. The midland trail sections can be a lot of fun. Lots of this type of riding near Colorado Springs, but sadly not recommended this year.
    S

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Thanks!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Quote Originally Posted by solobiker View Post
    I agree. I have done Kenosha..there is a fair amount of climbing involved so if you ride it bring your climbing legs and lungs. :-)

There are some real nice parts of Buff Creek if you hit up the CT trail.
    I just rode Colorado Trail from Buff Creek today...that's my happy place. Favorite place to ride around here.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

We're going to be in Telluride from July 25-Aug 8th with the mountain bikes. I've been looking for resources about trails online and for books, but haven't seen anything yet, so if anyone has suggestions I'll gladly take them. As flatlanders we will definitely be suffering from altitude.

Quote Originally Posted by e3rdpower View Post
    We're going to be in Telluride from July 25-Aug 8th with the mountain bikes. I've been looking for resources about trails online and for books, but haven't seen anything yet, so if anyone has suggestions I'll gladly take them. As flatlanders we will definitely be suffering from altitude.
    There's a bike shop in town that was able to provide me with maps when I was there. You can ride on the mountain in the ski resort area (usually) or there's a nice long rails-to-trails path along the river if you're interested that can take you a few towns away, and there's a bunch of singletrack out of Mountain Village if you take the gondola over. Or if you really want to climb and climb and climb and then descend for forever, some folks ride the jeep road to Bridal Veil Falls. But I'd probably just hike that

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Quote Originally Posted by jessmarimba View Post
    There's a bike shop in town that was able to provide me with maps when I was there. You can ride on the mountain in the ski resort area (usually) or there's a nice long rails-to-trails path along the river if you're interested that can take you a few towns away, and there's a bunch of singletrack out of Mountain Village if you take the gondola over. Or if you really want to climb and climb and climb and then descend for forever, some folks ride the jeep road to Bridal Veil Falls. But I'd probably just hike that
    We're actually staying in Mountain Village, so that will be perfect. We hiked Bridal Veil last time we were there in the summer, it's beautiful

We rode out of Telluride on our tour and climbed Last Dollar Pass (10,600 feet) the first day. It's a beautiful climb, lots of views. It's basically a dirt road, so not very technical.

This is the view at 10,400 feet.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    We rode out of Telluride on our tour and climbed Last Dollar Pass (10,600 feet) the first day. It's a beautiful climb, lots of views. It's basically a dirt road, so not very technical.

Veronica
    Beautiful! The nice thing about it not being technical is you could actually spend a little time looking at that wonderful scenery

Buff Creek looks really beautiful! There's a few reviews on Singletracks. Telluride also! That picture, Veronica, is AMAZING! I've only done midwest single tracks (nothing too epic as far as inclines) and I'm also hoping the ride will help me acclimate for some mt climbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post

Veronica
    Gorgeous! Maybe after we've been there for a week or so and acclimated a little bit we can give that a try