Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Electrolyte replacement?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm just wondering at what point should I start thinking about electrolyte replacement when riding. When I used to ride, I always used a syrup in my water that tasted great and never let me down. It was called XLR8. I don't think they make it any more. But I don't remember ever NOT using it back then,so I can't remember when I started using it. It's pretty hot these days. I ride early morning, but sometimes sweat a lot. I haven't ridden more than 30 Miles (mostly flat with some gentle climbs and decents) or more than 2hours at a time, but on a couple of rides, I felt that maybe I needed some extra umph. Does this sound about right? I'm wondering if I should plan to add something to one bottle at least on rides now that they are getting a little longer and it's getting warmer.

Suggestions for a good product?

I would, especially if it's hot! I like the Nuun tablets, they have a very nice mild flavor, electrolytes, but not calories. They just dissolve in a bottle of water.

For calories and electrolytes, I prefer the Cliff Shot Blocks...lots of yummy flavors. For me they sit easy on my stomach too and are easy to just pop one or two as you need them.
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

I'm fine with just water on rides under two hours.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    I'm fine with just water on rides under two hours.
    Agreed. And then some salty snacks at home after But I also generally ride in a fasted state, so maybe I'm weird.

I always do electroytes, but we are riding 2+ hours in extreme heat. I've been doing some kind of elec replacement if I sweat at all, usually on rides over an hour. I love the shot bloks, and also the advocate rehydrate, in the powder form. I don't love gels.
    1984 Raleigh Technium 440 - retired(coffee runs)
    2012 Cannondale Synapse 5 WSD - 365 miles (updated 7.12.2012) - in a holding pattern due to injury.
    My blog: http://bikesbooksblues.wordpress.com/
    Fundraising link for my friend Aimee, after her ped/car accident

I'm okay with just water and shot blocks up to about 30 miles in 85-degree temps. In weather that's any hotter (or more humid) than that, yes, I take some kind of electrolyte replacement with me beyond whatever's in the shot blocks
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I also use Nuun for rides over 1.5 hours, supplemented by Shot Blocks on hard, hot, or long rides. I no longer use any sports drinks, after using Accelerade or Gatorade for years. I don't want the calories or sugar. I keep a tube of Nuun tablets and a pack of Shot Blocks in the bag on both of my bikes. I've had to give one or both to other riders more than once, because they were unprepared, started bonking, etc.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I use Hammer Heed for rides over 1.5 hours, or for rides over an hour if it is over 85 degrees or so. I always have shot blocks with me just in case - for rides over 2.5 hours I have Accelerade. Nutrition and electrolyte replacement is a never ending balancing act that changes with the seasons and our bodies.

I've been experimenting with something called Salt Stick. Electrolytes in capsule form, and I think my body likes it better than Endurolytes. I forget to take them though, so it is better for me to have it in liquid form.

I wish I could stomach Nuun....it would be nice to at least have some when I get home after a hot ride but I can't tolerate it for some reason.
    Last edited by Catrin; 06-27-2012 at 03:05 AM.

Agreed on Nuun if you are looking for electrolytes only. Zym is very similar. As far as an electrolyte/carb combo, I like First Nutrition EFS the best. It has a higher Na+/K+ amount than many others I've seen. There's also always the DIY route.

Here in FL, where you sweat just walking out the door, I always use electrolytes for rides >1 hr, and electrolytes and carbs > 90 min.
    Last edited by e3rdpower; 06-27-2012 at 04:13 AM.

So is there anything similar to Nuun out there? I've had some odd stomach cramps while riding, and want to see if it's something in the Nuun causing it. Might be - might not be.

So - something that gives electrolytes, but not a huge calorie load (so not a typical sports drink).
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Aren't our bodies weird.
    Nuun is one of the few I can take without too many issues. I like that it is easy to carry when touring.
    I also like Ultima Replenisher, no sugar, gluten free, no caffine, vegan - I buy my at whole foods or our local coop.
    Anybody use coconut water - my naturopath swears by it (he is a cross bike and MTB racer) I am allergic to coconut ...

oh and jelly belly sports beans are the best (IMO)
    Last edited by Sky King; 06-27-2012 at 05:58 AM. Reason: add sentence
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Nuun goes down well for me - even when nothing else will. So - I'm hoping it's OK. However, I've had some cramping/bloating on the bike, and want to see if Nuun could be the culprit. It's gotten me through some wicked rides, so I really hope not.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    So is there anything similar to Nuun out there?
    For a dissolving tablet, I like Zenergize Hydrate. More sodium and no antifreeze.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    So is there anything similar to Nuun out there? I've had some odd stomach cramps while riding, and want to see if it's something in the Nuun causing it. Might be - might not be.

So - something that gives electrolytes, but not a huge calorie load (so not a typical sports drink).
    Since I recently had this discussion, I just copied this verbatim from an old email of mine:

Speaking of kidneys, I tried to google sorbitol-free hydration tables and found a post on RW's forum from an internal med doc responding to someone complaining about GI issues with Nuun. He stated that Nuun contains 3 laxatives: magnesium sulfate (epsom salts), sorbitol, and polyethylene glycol (Merilax). He also said he was surprised that most people don't have GI issues from it.

I cannot tolerate sorbitol so the only tablet I have tried is Nathan. When I only have an hydration bladder to carry liquid, I use Elete drops and a Nathan tablet for flavoring. Elete seems to have the best balance for both me and my hubby. When I have a water bottle and need to be taking in calories also, I'll use Cytomax and bump up the electrolytes with Elete.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate View Post
    Since I recently had this discussion, I just copied this verbatim from an old email of mine:

Speaking of kidneys, I tried to google sorbitol-free hydration tables and found a post on RW's forum from an internal med doc responding to someone complaining about GI issues with Nuun. He stated that Nuun contains 3 laxatives: magnesium sulfate (epsom salts), sorbitol, and polyethylene glycol (Merilax). He also said he was surprised that most people don't have GI issues from it.

I cannot tolerate sorbitol so the only tablet I have tried is Nathan. When I only have an hydration bladder to carry liquid, I use Elete drops and a Nathan tablet for flavoring. Elete seems to have the best balance for both me and my hubby. When I have a water bottle and need to be taking in calories also, I'll use Cytomax and bump up the electrolytes with Elete.
    I can tolerate Nuun, but only maybe a bottle/day. If I'm doing a long ride with several bottles of fluids I avoid it...because of the sugar alcohol (sorbitol) induced toots. I don't need to be jet-propelled on my bike. Nuun says that the amount in their tablets isn't enough to cause gastric issues, but I call foul on that claim. I'd rather just pop Endurolytes or other electrolyte capsules if I want electrolytes without flavor or calories.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2