Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

People are rude!!

To disable ads, please log-in.

The other week my husband and I went for a ride. And on the way back we decided to go grocery shopping. Well I really feel uncomfortable in my bike shorts and jersey since I think I look like a stuffed sausage in my shorts. When I'm riding I don't mind because well everyone know what bikers wear when they are out on the road. Well this young "simple" (i'm putting that nicely) kept looking and me and making me feel more uncomfortable. I would have to say that it was because of my clothes. It pissed me off that when I got to the next isle I said pretty loud " I was out biking and even though I may not look that good in my clothes right now at least I'm out doing something about it!!". I told my husband and he wanted to know who it was and was going to go confront them. I said no because even though it made me feel uncomfortable I knew that they weren't worth anymore of my time or energy. I believe in karma and know that they will too feel someday like I felt.

People are rude.

When people stare, I tend to tell myself they're admiring that I had the gumption to be out there doing something. Otherwise, I don't acknowledge it. To acknowledge or to let yourself be bothered my it gives them power they otherwise wouldn't have over you.

Some days I do better than others - but that's what I try for anyway.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I don't live in a biking friendly community unfortunately. But I'm at the age where I couldn't care less what people think of me,especially strangers. I'm not real happy with my particular community for reasons I won't go into on this forum. I have been "burned" real bad by a pair of "friends" and I care even less what people think. I'm way fitter than they are. It's surprising how a good "mad" can contribute to a workout! Someday when I have the privilege of leaving here these people will no longer be in my thoughts. Don't let the bad ones take up space in your brain without paying rent.

Not all who wander are lost

I had some young chunky thing give me that same look in a restaurant where a bunch of us like to go for beers and dinner after our Tues. night rides, last week. I thought it was kinda nervy of her to give me that look, when she was probably about half my age and just as pudgy as I am. She could stand to pedal a few miles in unflattering spandex, herself. *chuckle*
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    When people stare, I tend to tell myself they're admiring that I had the gumption to be out there doing something. Otherwise, I don't acknowledge it. To acknowledge or to let yourself be bothered by it gives them power they otherwise wouldn't have over you.
    Amen and amen.

You don't KNOW what they are thinking. They might be wondering what activity you are dressed for or what is different about what you are wearing that makes you buy special clothes just for biking, or maybe even what brand it is in case they decide they want to try cycling! Lots of things to be thinking about when you see an outfitted cyclist and you aren't accustomed to it. Give them and yourself the benefit of the doubt.

Grits

2010 Trek 5.2 Madone WSD, SI Diva Gel Flow
    2002 Terry Classic, Terry Liberator

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    To acknowledge or to let yourself be bothered my it gives them power they otherwise wouldn't have over you.
    Yep.
    +1
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

I'm going to play devil's advocate here and say maybe she thought it looked interesting and she was trying to get some idea of where you got it from by staring. Not likely, but you can always try to imagine that was what she was thinking.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    She was probably being rude, but as someone who loves to sit and people watch (and stare, sometimes, too probably), maybe she was just curious. I always wear sunglasses when I sit and people watch so at least they can't TELL I'm staring at them.
    Of course, I don't do it in a grocery store or someplace weird like that. Usually it's when we're traveling and I'm sitting stationary for a long time.

Maybe she thought you were an alien in your crazy bike gear???

But yeah, most likely she was just being a turd.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Zoom-Zoom you make me laugh!!!!

My favorite little ditty is:
    You wouldn't worry what people think of you
    If you knew they seldom do.

Don't give other people space in your brain. It is so much more fun to feel superior, or at least confident that you are living your own life without apology.

marni
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Quote Originally Posted by marni View Post
    Don't give other people space in your brain. It is so much more fun to feel super
    Wise advice Thank you for putting it so succinctly.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I've never noticed anyone staring at me when I am in my bike clothing inside a store, and I am age 58 and weigh too much. It might be because compared to others I look athletic and fit. I count my blessings that I am not the female in her 20s, weight aroung 600 lbs, in an oversize electric scooter, pulling her mother, weight around 400 lbs, in a wheelchair, the electric scooter pulling the wheel chair because neither of the females has mobility. Or I am not one of many females wearing pajama bottoms and flip flops, with a belly hanging out and over the top of the pj bottoms. Or I am not one of the females with every inch of exposed skin covered in tatoos. With such a medley of in-your-face females, my bike clothing doesn't even merit a brief glance.

Proud Advocate!

I felt a little self conscious at first when I went into stores with my gear on, but now I think it is fun...and if I do get stares, I think of myself as a middle-age advocate for bicycling! I like to imagine that people are thinking, "wow, if that chubby old granny can do it, so can I!"
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

Quote Originally Posted by SueDavis View Post
    The other week my husband and I went for a ride. And on the way back we decided to go grocery shopping. Well I really feel uncomfortable in my bike shorts and jersey since I think I look like a stuffed sausage in my shorts. When I'm riding I don't mind because well everyone know what bikers wear when they are out on the road. Well this young "simple" (i'm putting that nicely) kept looking and me and making me feel more uncomfortable. I would have to say that it was because of my clothes. It pissed me off that when I got to the next isle I said pretty loud " I was out biking and even though I may not look that good in my clothes right now at least I'm out doing something about it!!". I told my husband and he wanted to know who it was and was going to go confront them. I said no because even though it made me feel uncomfortable I knew that they weren't worth anymore of my time or energy. I believe in karma and know that they will too feel someday like I felt.
    Congratulations on getting out and riding, I'm sure you'll see a difference soon.

I'm not sure what a "simple" is, but you're right just to let it go. Like others have said, not worth wasting your mind and emotions on, especially when it's so hard to tell what they were thinking, and to be honest the look might have been just the same if you were the most willowy fittest woman that s/he had ever seen.

I often drop small girl at nursery in my lycra, if I'm planning a ride straight after. I normally pop a little skirt or a cycling dress over the top though, having been slightly disconcerted in the past by the spooky silence of fifteen 4-year olds as they watched my star-strewn rear walking out of the room. Anyway, the little Terry skirts are small enough to scrunch into a jersey pocket.
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by hebe View Post
    ...the spooky silence of fifteen 4-year olds as they watched my star-strewn rear walking out of the room...
    Priceless!
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett