Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: knats

knats

To disable ads, please log-in.

Does anyone else encounter an insane amount of knats on their commute? I ride 20 miles to work and along the last 5 miles (side of the river) there are PATCHES AND PATCHES of knats. other than sunglasses, any other helpful tips?! They just love to stick to my sweat. it's so nasty. LOL

Make sure your breathe through your nose and not your mouth.

Gnats, mating love bugs, are what make summer riding interesting.
    Beth

haha, i just lower my head and push through it!

Meh, i love my bike but i could do without the knats...i DO love the little bunnies that play frogger with me though!

Yep, keeping the mouth shut and keeping one's head so the sunglasses are level is pretty much the best advice...though when there's no other people/riders around I do try to make a game of picking my way around the clouds for the least possible impacts!

Bunnies, they are more fun. And smarter than squirrels, who will ALWAYS run the wrong way for safety!
    Sit bones = ~135 mm, saddles that work ~ 155cm/6.1 in wide
    2003 da Vinci (custom road/all-rounder)/Terry Butterfly Ti
    1994 Gary Fisher Nirvana (vintage MTB/commuter)/Terry Butterfly Chromoly
    1991 Terry Symmetry (NOS frame/fork, project in progress)
    1973 Raleigh Super Course (project in progress)

Quote Originally Posted by out_spokin' View Post

Bunnies, they are more fun. And smarter than squirrels, who will ALWAYS run the wrong way for safety!
    Squirrels will always run for the nearest tree - even if that means turning around and crossing back in front of danger...... Once you realize this it makes squirrel behavior relatively easy to predict.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

SORRY!

-- gnat! (honest!)
    Windsor: 2010 S-Works Ruby
    Pantysgawn: 2011 S-Works Stumpjumper 29er
    Whiz!: 2013 S-Works Crux (Singlespeed)
    Boucheron: 2009 S-Works Tricross
    Haloumi: 2013 Tern P7i
    Kraft: 2009 Singlecross
    Gouda: 2005 Electra Betty
    Roquefort: 1974 Stella SX-73

noseeums

that's what we call them in Maine...
    Madone 3.1 WSD 2011
    Jamis Coda 1997

Love my bikes

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    I ride at Lake Hefner in OKC, and they're always bad around the dam. I just avoid that part during dawn and dusk, but I don't suppose you can do that on your commute. hee hee

They sure can be annoying. Grab one of those mosquito nets and put it over your helmet. Might make cars give you an extra-wide berth ("what IS that thing on her head??"). Cars will certainly be more aware of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post

Why is that your screen-name. I've always wondered...
    Me, too....
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Protein...
    and if you accidentally swallow a lightning bug on your commute, you get a bonus. Electrolytes!
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Quote Originally Posted by Melalvai View Post
    Protein...
    and if you accidentally swallow a lightning bug on your commute, you get a bonus. Electrolytes!
    Har har har!!

I miss lightning bugs. We don't have them here.
    1984 Raleigh Technium 440 - retired(coffee runs)
    2012 Cannondale Synapse 5 WSD - 365 miles (updated 7.12.2012) - in a holding pattern due to injury.
    My blog: http://bikesbooksblues.wordpress.com/
    Fundraising link for my friend Aimee, after her ped/car accident

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Girl View Post
    I ride at Lake Hefner in OKC, and they're always bad around the dam. I just avoid that part during dawn and dusk, but I don't suppose you can do that on your commute. hee hee

They sure can be annoying. Grab one of those mosquito nets and put it over your helmet. Might make cars give you an extra-wide berth ("what IS that thing on her head??"). Cars will certainly be more aware of you.

Me, too....
    I can see how they would be terrible around Hefner-- have you been to tulsa? the river is the mating ground or something for those darn things. I am almost wanting to put a box around my head and play some LMFAO really loud during that 4-5 miles stretch. My commute is all trail until i get to the downtown cutoff-- so that's nice. i could MAYBE try and swing over to the ROAD and ride--maybe they aren't as bad over there!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    Squirrels will always run for the nearest tree - even if that means turning around and crossing back in front of danger...... Once you realize this it makes squirrel behavior relatively easy to predict.
    Ah, westerners.

Around here it can take 20 seconds (an eternity when you're coming toward it at speed) and five or six changes of direction for a squirrel to decide exactly which one of the 200 or so trees with 20 feet of it is the nearest...

Quote Originally Posted by Melalvai View Post

The gnats we have in Ohio and the noseeums we have in Florida are two different things. Gnats swarm in clouds, pretty innocuous unless you get a mouth or eye full of them. Noseeums fly individually, they're half or less the size of northern gnats, and they bite mercilessly. Fortunately they don't leave the huge welts that mosquito and fly bites leave, you'll just look like you have the measles ...
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Ah, westerners.

Around here it can take 20 seconds (an eternity when you're coming toward it at speed) and five or six changes of direction for a squirrel to decide exactly which one of the 200 or so trees with 20 feet of it is the nearest...
    c'mon I'm up in Puget Sound... we've got plenty of trees... (unlike high desert parts of Western WA, which yeah, it's not real hard to figure out which tree is closest) Our squirrels don't always do the quickest mental calculations... but crossing the road it's pretty easy to figure out anyway. Given trees on both sides, if they are less than 1/2 way across they will turn around and run back (in front of you). More than 1/2 way they'll continue... If only one side has trees they'll head for that side without fail, no matter how far across they are when they get startled.

Then again I actually had my first squirrel close call in a while just yesterday on my way to work... In a parking lot... with no particularly near trees... He did run in the direction of the closest ones (doubling back across my path....sigh....), but boy I thought I was going to be picking squirrel out of my fork.
    Last edited by Eden; 06-26-2012 at 07:50 AM.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Quote Originally Posted by mandiam View Post
    the river is the mating ground or something for those darn things. I am almost wanting to put a box around my head and play some LMFAO really loud during that 4-5 miles stretch. My commute is all trail until i get to the downtown cutoff-- so that's nice. i could MAYBE try and swing over to the ROAD and ride--maybe they aren't as bad over there!!
    Ugh... the river trails are lovely there in Tulsa... except during gnat mating season. But how wonderful that it's all trail until you get to downtown. Sweet!! No wonder it's miserable, tho!! I like the box on the head look- just cut some eyes out and enjoy the ride.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Why is that your screen-name. I've always wondered...
    Muirenn, it was just a nickname I got in 7th grade that stuck hard.

-- gnat! (Relevant to the squirrel discussion)
    Windsor: 2010 S-Works Ruby
    Pantysgawn: 2011 S-Works Stumpjumper 29er
    Whiz!: 2013 S-Works Crux (Singlespeed)
    Boucheron: 2009 S-Works Tricross
    Haloumi: 2013 Tern P7i
    Kraft: 2009 Singlecross
    Gouda: 2005 Electra Betty
    Roquefort: 1974 Stella SX-73