Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Boob Bees

Boob Bees

To disable ads, please log-in.

Okay, not one but two bees down my jersey today. The first one was just as we finished a short climb. I confess I panicked when I felt the sting and almost tipped over clipping out while yelling "stopping" Two stings so not sure exactly what the bug was as I couldn't find it as I was leaning over and frantically flapping my shirt and sports bra.

So I say to myself, okay zip up your jersey when descending. Works fine until the very last hill through a neighborhood. I was stuck behind two cars and totally spaced zipping up. Whack, I thought the bug had bounced out but we get home and all the sudden I hear it buzzing in my shirt - yikes! Again massive flapping and a large bumble bee drops on the floor. It didn't sting me so must have been stunned and caught in the fold of my collar.

Would love to hear ideas, I was thinking about wearing one of those mesh under armour type t shirts to see if that helped
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

I've fortunately not had one go down my jersey while riding (I had one do this while I was running, once...not even sure how that happened at my whopping 5.5-6mph pace, heh. I had one land on my lower abdomen while riding and when my thigh came up and he got squished he stung me...ow. That itched so bad for weeks!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Ooooh, scary scary scary. Reminds me I need to carry my epi-pen when riding. I've been (knock wood) lucky enough so far to not get stung, but it scares the living bejeezus out of me to think about it.
    1984 Raleigh Technium 440 - retired(coffee runs)
    2012 Cannondale Synapse 5 WSD - 365 miles (updated 7.12.2012) - in a holding pattern due to injury.
    My blog: http://bikesbooksblues.wordpress.com/
    Fundraising link for my friend Aimee, after her ped/car accident

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Keep your mouth shut, too. My epipen is in my seatbag, always. Luckily, bumblebees don't sting.

no ideas but a similiar thing happened to me but I was riding uphill.
    Wasp flew down my shirt and sports bra and stung me. ouch!

I usually get stung on the side of my neck, as my curly hair acts like a net and bees just get caught in it. They also get in my helmet on road rides but the mesh in my LAS helmet used to stop them. Now I have a Specialized Prevail helmet with huge vents, and only my Heatsweats skullcap to protect me...

Never got one down the front of my shirt though. I get them down the back when I MTB. They go down as far as the where the top of the Camelback is and sting me there. Every summer without fail, two or three times.

I don't know how to stop them other than wearing a beekeeper suit. If the bugs get bad, a bandana made from very lightweight material could keep them out of your mouth if you don't mind looking like a reject from an old western.
    Tzvia- rollin' slow...
    Specialized Ruby Expert/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Specialized SWorks Safire/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Giant Anthem-W XT-XTR/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Fuji Newest 3 commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Novara E.T.A commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL

I don't have a solution but an experience with a wasp in my shirt, not on my bike but on the golf course. Stung me three times before I could do the disrobe flapping thing. I've heard and seen them bounce off my helmet though. Deer flies? now that's a whole different story...
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011

Jens Voight

So, even though this is off subject a bit, this thread reminds me of the Jens Voight incident at the Tour of California. He got a bee in his mouth during the race and it ended up stinging him... which made him so mad he ATE it...

Only Jens...

Which also brings to mind a song my kids learned in cub scouts... "I'm bringing home my baby bumblebee, won't my mommy be so proud of me"....
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    They had to ban that song in girl scout camp because we sang it too much.

One of the leaders must have had some kind of...problem. Now that I think about it.

I'm bringing home my baby bumblebee, won't my mommy be so proud of me...

I could see how it got on their nerves.

Well, it DOES get pretty gross near the end.... as a former den leader, I can sort of understand.
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

I remember that song......... lol! Loved it when I was when I was in girl scouts.

As for bee stings - some years ago, had one fly down into my sports bra. And it stung me! I reacted, without any actual thought. I pulled up my bra and got that bee OUT. Turned out to be a nice show for the group of people sitting out on their deck. They actually clapped. I could not bring myself to ride past there the rest of the summer. I was SO embarrassed. I still think of it any time I take that route. Stupid bees...........

SR

Quote Originally Posted by SallyRides View Post
    I remember that song......... lol! Loved it when I was when I was in girl scouts.

As for bee stings - some years ago, had one fly down into my sports bra. And it stung me! I reacted, without any actual thought. I pulled up my bra and got that bee OUT. Turned out to be a nice show for the group of people sitting out on their deck. They actually clapped. I could not bring myself to ride past there the rest of the summer. I was SO embarrassed. I still think of it any time I take that route. Stupid bees...........

SR
    hee, hee. one of our customers came in on Friday and was telling me about his wife, stripping the top of her skin suit down to her waist, frantically getting a bee out and as a truckload of construction workers drove past...
    Last edited by Sky King; 06-25-2012 at 05:51 AM. Reason: spelling
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    They had to ban that song in girl scout camp because we sang it too much.

One of the leaders must have had some kind of...problem. Now that I think about it.

I'm bringing home my baby bumblebee, won't my mommy be so proud of me...

I can see how it got on their nerves.

Try looking up the Meryn Cadell version (it is hilarious)

whoo wee it stung me.... never trust a man....
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N