Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vitreous detachment?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've been having vision issues with my left eye for the past week. My PCP sent me to an ophthalmologist yesterday, I have a vitreous detachment. Anyone out there heard of this or had it? If I understand correctly, there is a chance my retina could tear?

I'm feeling extremely paranoid right now.

Did you happen to see my post on RBR? As I understand it, the risk is small. Don't do anything high impact, like running, for 6 weeks or so. Run (this is an exception to the first rule ), don't walk, to the ER if you detect any other sign of retinal detachment. Otherwise, it's a pretty normal occurrence as we age. As I said (I think) in my RBR post, they were a little more worried about my own vitreous detachment because I'm so myopic. I'm already at an increased risk for a retinal tear.

Do you have a follow up appoint with your doc? Mine dilated my eyes for rechecks once a week/every two weeks.
    Last edited by indysteel; 06-22-2012 at 08:16 AM.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

No follow up, he just said "here's what will happen if your retina detaches". Gee thanks doc.

Honestly, I don't think the risk is particularly high unless you're otherwise at a higher risk for retinal detachment for whatever reason. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Most everyone's vitreous detaches at some point if I understand it correctly. But if you're really concerned, call the doc and ask if it warrants further monitoring by way of another eye dilation.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    The vitreous is the jelly-like stuff in your eyeball. It does not detach, although it can leak out. Retinas detatch and you will see flashes of white light when it does. Your ophthalmologist will know what to do in your particular case. It might be temporary or it might be something that requires some intervention.

I would not treat this casually. Get a second opinion if you are not happy with the first. And I would certainly like to know why it detached--injury, diabetes, multifocal choroiditis, macular degeneration?

As someone who has lost all retina in one eye, I can tell you that it causes problems. You only have 2 eyes. I'm down to just one, and that doesn't leave much wiggle room.

Jeez, snap, do you just go looking for these things (pun intended). I'm with tulip. I think you should get a second opinion even if it is only to find a doc that will help with more education.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Tulip, actually the vitreous can detach and often does. I can vouch from my own experience on this. While Snap may want to press her doc for closer monitoring during the six weeks it generally takes for the vitreous to fully detach, the diagnosis itself does not strike me as unusual. And I say that as someone who has a number of eye issues and has had any number of exams for retinal related concerns.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Here's an explanation of vitreous detachment from the Cleveland Clinic. I'd add that while the vitreous is actually separating from the back of the eye, it can tug at the retinal. That is why my doc saw me regularly for about six weeks. He just wanted to keep an eye--pun intended--on it, especially in light of my severe myopia. While I think that's the prudent approach, I would agree with Muirenn that there's really no real reason to panic. This is a normal occurrence for many. I was a bit younger than most when it happened and it happened, ironically, in both eyes within a week. The doc thought that was pretty unusual.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Thanks Indy, I'll probably go see my regular eye doc when he's back in town. I think I was more panicked about being out of town and having something happen. Since I've decided to stay home, I'm calmer.

Now I can play guess the shape of the cloud with the giant floaters in my eye.....

I understand your panic. I've lost track of how many emergency or almost emergency visits to my eye docs I've had over the years. I had one just this week in fact. The "nice" thing about the medical eye issues I've had is that at least my insurance covers them. My expensive lens are all on me.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

No Booty? Oh, well. It is scary to be out of town when you've got a medical issue. Hang in there.

I can certainly understand your concern, anything to do with the eyes is scary stuff. Breath in, and glad you were able to stay home and see your regular doctor when he returns. Traveling would be a bit nerve wracking, even if the odds are in your favor. Pity that there will be no Booty, but there will be next year.

Smile

Similar problem developed in my eyes beginning 4 years ago. Initially I experienced a zig-zag semi-circle of bright white light spasmodically in my left eye and eventually it almost completed a circle. This would last for about 30 minutes before gradually disappearing. Very worrying. Then I realised that my vision had masses of tiny falling "bubbles" only noticeable when out in the sunlight. Visited my optician and he took photos of my retinas and tested eye pressure. He told me that it was something that some of us experience with age when the viscosity of the gel behind the retina changes and pull away from the back of the eye and that it could possibly cause a detached retina at some time if I was unlucky. (He said that this could be identified by having basically a portion of vision missing and that if this occurred I would need to seek medical attention within 24 hours. After that time it's unlikely that a retina could be reattached.) He said detached retinas could be experienced after heavy falls or jolts etc. So I guess bungy jumping would not be advised.

Every now and then I experience flashes of white light (resembling lightning) if I quickly look up and down, but the zig-zag effect has stopped. I now have flecks of small darkish lines that seem to very slowly sink slightly, as well as the bubbles. All of this is more noticeable in bright light situations, but not when wearing sunglasses or inside. The right eye has the bubbles too now, but I didn't experience the zig-zags or flashes. Don't know if this is all I'll have to contend with or if I can expect more floaters in the future. I'm 53. Don't you love old age!!!!!

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Laterider, I really hope you go to an opthomologist (as opposed to an optometrist) soon.

I second Tulip's post. Get to an ophthalmologist, with retina and vitreous specialty. It's better to be safe. They may do some additional tests and monitor. I had retina and vitreous issues several years ago, and now have minimal sight in one eye. Tulip is right, you only have 2 eyes.
    It's all about the journey (my reason for riding slower)