Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Researching component groups & shifter types

To disable ads, please log-in.

So I'm hoping to get my butt on that funky new Tango WSD 29er that Cannondale is bringing to market in the next month or two. I am currently on a too-small-for-me 2009 Cdale F5 (26er). I'm not sure that I'm sold on trigger shifters, but I don't know enough about twist/grip shifters to know if I'd want to go that route, either...or if there are trigger shifters that work better for women (smaller hands) than others. It is spec'd as follows:
    Component Group SRAM X 5 mix
    Brakeset Avid BB 5 Mechanical brakes, Cannondale XC levers
    Shift Levers SRAM X.5 Trigger
    Front Derailleur SRAM X.7
    Rear Derailleur SRAM X.5
    Crankset FSA CK-360TTT, 22/32/44 teeth
    I'm thinking I want to stick with at least 9 speeds, again, and a group at least as good as the X5 package. Any other suggestions?
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

What parts are on your current MTB?

For me, as much as I love SRAM road shifters, I can't get my head around their MTB trigger shifters. As a result, my geared MTB has Shimano trigger shifters. I would definitely try to ride both types before committing.

And yes, go with 9-speed or 10-speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    What parts are on your current MTB?

For me, as much as I love SRAM road shifters, I can't get my head around their MTB trigger shifters. As a result, my geared MTB has Shimano trigger shifters. I would definitely try to ride both types before committing.

And yes, go with 9-speed or 10-speed.
    Parts...? Aside from the specs I quoted from Bikepedia? SRAM X5 triggers.

I found a few threads on other boards where others expressed that SRAM triggers are tough for smaller hands. Interesting, since I find the opposite to be true with their road levers. I LOVE my Rival and Apex on my road and CX bikes.

I'm reading mixed things about twist shifters, so maybe Shimano is the way to go for my next mtn. bike, then.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    Parts...? Aside from the specs I quoted from Bikepedia? SRAM X5 triggers.

I found a few threads on other boards where others expressed that SRAM triggers are tough for smaller hands. Interesting, since I find the opposite to be true with their road levers. I LOVE my Rival and Apex on my road and CX bikes.

I'm reading mixed things about twist shifters, so maybe Shimano is the way to go for my next mtn. bike, then.
    Sorry, my bad...I thought those were the specs for the new bike.

I've SRAM XO grips on my Gunnar (love them dearly), and X7 triggers on my mountain bike. I prefer the XO grips - and I must admit that I am a SRAM woman through and through. I strongly dislike Shimano triggers.

I've been told that it is a good idea to not go below SRAM X-7 level components but I do not know how valid that is. Both my bikes are a combination of X7 and X9, outside of the XO grips.
    Last edited by Catrin; 06-22-2012 at 01:54 PM.

I have X-9 on my Niner. I don't have small hands, but these definitely don't take a lot of strength. Much easier than whatever was on my Cannondale. But I've never used grip shifters.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Oh, I forgot to mention, I do have small hands and I do have arthritis. I've no problems with the SRAM shifters - trigger or grips. I do find the grips easier to use because they don't require a movement that hurts my thumb, but I CAN use them.