Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Fog?

Fog?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Curious how many of you will ride to work in pre-dawn fog. Today is normally the day I ride, and it would have been beautiful - the first cool day in quite some time! However they kept talking about the fog on the morning news, and my guads/hammies were sore from class last night so I wimped out and drove. Of course, it is beautiful now and I wish that I had ridden. It is good I didn't though, my legs do need a rest today - they don't often get sore so I try to listen to them these days.

So talk to me about moderate fog before/right after dawn. Do you choose to ride in it?

Fog worries me more than rain or darkness. It really does hamper visibility, even with good lights, and reduces drivers' time to see and react to me.

For me, it depends how dense and how low the fog is. Low, dense fog is a no-go for me. Less dense fog is usually a game-time decision.

I went out about 6:55 a.m It wasn't that bad in my area...it got sunny after 10 minutes or so...I made sure I wear bright colors and had my lights flashing. I also used the sidewalks whenever I could. I really enjoyed it...didn't really sweat... cool all the way.

I would not recommend using sidewalks to combat fog. Sidewalks are much more dangerous than roads, due to visibility issues in normal daylight.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Quote Originally Posted by Melalvai View Post
    I would not recommend using sidewalks to combat fog. Sidewalks are much more dangerous than roads, due to visibility issues in normal daylight.
    I am new ..just started commuting MOnday of last week... and I know I have a lot to learn. Thanks for the advice...

I do ride in fog pre-work but I will try to leave early and be extra cautious. I never ride without lights flashing on my bike, fog or not. I'm looking to get even more lights.
    2013: Riding a Dolce sport compact for fun and a vintage Jetter with cargo rack for commuting

www.bike-sby.org: A network of concerned cyclists working to make our city more bicycle friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by lovelygamer View Post
    I do ride in fog pre-work but I will try to leave early and be extra cautious. I never ride without lights flashing on my bike, fog or not. I'm looking to get even more lights.
    I feel ya!..I have a helmet with a LEd Light and spokelit LEds as well. I am also looking into a good set of headlights to go on group night rides when I feel ready. I am really enjoying this.

Quote Originally Posted by Giulianna23 View Post
    I went out about 6:55 a.m It wasn't that bad in my area...it got sunny after 10 minutes or so...I made sure I wear bright colors and had my lights flashing. I also used the sidewalks whenever I could. I really enjoyed it...didn't really sweat... cool all the way.
    What the others said about riding on the sidewalk It also causes more danger at curb cuts, drivers aren't looking for a bike on the sidewalk but traffic in the road. I feel much safer in the flow of traffic than I do on a sidewalk,

I have to leave for work by 5:30 at the latest, so I don't have the option of waiting for the fog to clear, and by then it is rush hour

Quote Originally Posted by Giulianna23 View Post
    I am new ..just started commuting MOnday of last week... and I know I have a lot to learn. Thanks for the advice...
    Happy commuting! There is so much to learn...I kind of miss when I was new to it and learning something new every day. But even after 6 years, there are still things to learn-- and relearn. Seems like I have to learn "sunscreen" every year!
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

I wouldn't rule out entirely the prospect of riding in fog, as long as it isn't too dense. If visibility as at least a tenth of a mile, it'll work. But my commute can be done almost entirely on neighborhood streets where cars aren't going too much faster than I am, anyway.

I won't ride if it is foggy, despite the fact that I have a blinkie attached to my bike. My reasoning follows what I was told when I lived out in Arizona and had to beware of dust storms: If you stop and pull off the road and you have any lights on in that situation, cars behind you may think that your lights guide them along the road and you run the risk of being rear-ended. That's my main fear - being rear-ended because the driver doesn't have time to react.
    JEAN

2011 Specialized Ruby Elite - carbon fiber go-fast bike
    DiamondBack Expert - steel road bike
    Klein Pinnacle - classic no-suspension aluminum MTB

Quote Originally Posted by Hi Ho Silver View Post
    I won't ride if it is foggy, despite the fact that I have a blinkie attached to my bike. My reasoning follows what I was told when I lived out in Arizona and had to beware of dust storms: If you stop and pull off the road and you have any lights on in that situation, cars behind you may think that your lights guide them along the road and you run the risk of being rear-ended. That's my main fear - being rear-ended because the driver doesn't have time to react.

This is a good point! I appreciate all of the input, for sure. My route to work goes right down a main road, there is no neighborhood route that will work. There is a bike lane - which is really a specially striped shoulder. There isn't much traffic at 5:30am when I ride to work but still have to watch out for inattentive/sleepy drivers who may not be paying attention to the lane they are in when things are clear...