Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Great workout! I'm taking notes to try this out. I'm always looking for a new workout to keep things interesting and fresh. Since I started working out in January I still can't do a full pushup. I'm working on it though!

I love these kinds of workouts. It is very similar to what I do in my strength and conditioning class. I consider my class a functional fitness class focused on injury prevention.

I'm taking some notes from this thread. I've gotten some new ideas from you ladies. Thanks.

One of my new favorite exercises is a version of side plank but instead of supporting yourself with your bottom leg, you support yourself with the top leg on a bench and the bottom leg is held up off the ground but under the bench. I keep the bench under a bent knee rather than a straight leg to make it a bit easier and much more knee friendly.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Wahine, what do you think of a class that has people running (sprints or up to 2-4 minutes) holding hand weights?
    When I was a fitness instructor, this would have been a huge no-no. What's the point? I can keep up with the real runners, but I use lighter weights than what she is telling us (2 lbs. vs. 5). I am so tempted to drop the weights next time. Thankfully, she's subbing for the regular person and i make a point not to take her regular classes.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Here's one of our workouts, just for grins.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0533.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	14798  
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Wahine, what do you think of a class that has people running (sprints or up to 2-4 minutes) holding hand weights?
    When I was a fitness instructor, this would have been a huge no-no. What's the point? I can keep up with the real runners, but I use lighter weights than what she is telling us (2 lbs. vs. 5). I am so tempted to drop the weights next time. Thankfully, she's subbing for the regular person and i make a point not to take her regular classes.
    I'm generally not a fan of holding weights while running. Running with extra weight can be helpful, but it's best if the weight is on the torso in the form of a vest. Holding hand weights, or having weights on the ankles puts the weight on the end of a long lever arm which increases torque forces at the joints quite a lot. But keep in mind that I'm kinda old school.

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Quote Originally Posted by Wahine View Post
    I'm generally not a fan of holding weights while running. Running with extra weight can be helpful, but it's best if the weight is on the torso in the form of a vest. Holding hand weights, or having weights on the ankles puts the weight on the end of a long lever arm which increases torque forces at the joints quite a lot. But keep in mind that I'm kinda old school.
    I had wondered about this when Crankin posted it. Even to a non-professional this just doesn't sound like a good idea. Sometimes we do "Farmer Carry" around the track (walking laps with kettlebells in our hands) in class and they are very clear that no running is allowed.

Irulan, that looks like fun

I'm kind of old school, too. I keep thinking joint issues, too much stress in the wrong places, as well as the 1-2 regulars who are barely fit enough to do this amount of running. It's 5:30 in the morning and I don't need extra stress on my 58 year old joints. Not that I have any problems here, but I really think it might open you up to some.
    I guess that training I got in 1986 really did teach me something.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I've done some running with a weight vest and some pulling of a sled with weights. That's a lotta fun! You think you're running, but you're barely moving.

I've also done some walking on the treadmill set to an incline holding kettlebells. Not something you do by yourself.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    I've done some running with a weight vest and some pulling of a sled with weights. That's a lotta fun! You think you're running, but you're barely moving.

Done this way is really cool, especially pulling a sled. We do sets where we partner up and run with those really burly giant elastic bands around the pelvis where one partner resists but both are headed in the same direction or even with both partners running "forwards" but in opposite directions so really they end up running on the spot. It's great for when we're stuck inside.

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Interesting you mention the sled. I know the group training class I just joined uses those, sort of dreading/looking forward to when I first do that He doesn't start off with people running with the sleds of course - first you get to pull empty, then loaded sleds down the sprint lane using this harness thing that drags the sled behind you.

I am really challenged in the pull-up department, but he had me doing, basically, a pull up from a prone position on the TRX (a really flat row) where my head was under the anchor point and I started with my head just about a foot or so off the ground - if that far. I really didn't think I could do it - but I did it more easily than I thought possible

Wahine, that sounds fun!
    Last edited by Catrin; 07-20-2012 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I am really challenged in the pull-up department, but he had me doing, basically, a pull up from a prone position on the TRX (a really flat row) where my head was under the anchor point and I started with my head just about a foot or so off the ground - if that far. I really didn't think I could do it - but I did it more easily than I thought possible

Wahine, that sounds fun!
    You can practice this type of pull-up at home using a table.

I also like doing a self assisted pull up using a therapy ball underneath me. You still have to do most of the work yourself because the therapy ball is wiggly. You have to be really careful that you don't rely on the therapy ball to stay up or you'll hurt yourself. You have to use it just for a little support. It's easier and safer if you have a way to hold the therapy ball in place.

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Thanks, I will try it! This takes practice, for sure. I think I will try it without the therapy ball for now. At my gym they have things you can put the ball in that stabilizes it - but if I am practicing there I will just use the TRX and if I happen to lose my grip I am only a foot or so from a rubber mat.

They also have these really big robust band thingies that they use for assisted pull-ups. I've been told it would probably work for me but with my ankle flexibility problem I am afraid to trust myself to what is basically a really large rubber band...sort of kind of.

For the longest time, I had the goal of a no-assist pull up. I got very close, but the reality is I have a torn labrum in my right shoulder and a no-assist pull up is just not something I should do. I do a ton of other shoulder work. In fact, I think it's my work out that has kept my shoulder stable for several years now. I've come close to re injuring ( subluxation on the Grand Canyon) but because the entire shoulder girdle is so strong now, it's prevented potentially bad things from happening so far.

There's lots of other things I can do instead... horizontal pulls, full pushups, a very wide array of other things, so I just accept it.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

Shoulder/biceps are my weak point. I've been working out pretty heavily for 3 full years now and that part of my body hasn't come along near as far as my core and lower body. There has been progress, but not what I would like to see. However I will take what I can get, and the new approach at my current gym appears to be getting my body's attention.

I still can't do more than 5 full pushups though, and those are pretty bad. This is becoming embarrassing since I can do 100 modified pushups in sets of 20-30 (just last night as part of a challenge that included 50 pull-ups, 100 pushups and 150 squats - started and ended with a .5 mile run). I did TRX rows in place of the pull-ups since I can't do unassisted pull-ups just yet.

These functional fitness classes to me seem to be the best all over workout I've ever had. And since its changing all the time muscle boredom doesn't set in.

Here's a good one - anyone ever done these?
    Stability Ball Pushup to Pike?

OMG, these are one of the hardest things I have ever done. I did knock off ten of them. I thought I was going to die, and there's no way I could get to my toes like the guy on the video does.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2