Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LOW standover 29er

To disable ads, please log-in.

Earlier BikeRumor released some info. about upcoming Cannondale models, including the Tango--a 29er that may work really well for some of us shorter riders.

Tango is a new 29er hardtail with the stiffest front end of any of their bikes. It’s designed to have a really low stand over height and is positioned as an entry- to mid-level enthusiast mountain bike. It tops out at $1,550 with XT with an entry level model at $890.
    I'm intrigued. I'll definitely want to try this and the Trail SL 29er in a size Small (which is as small as that model comes, for now, but it apparently has a pretty high standover, which would maybe not work for someone like me with only a 30" inseam). That Tango looks like it could weigh a ton, which may not work in its favor, for me. I have enough trouble keeping up with my beast of a husband and speedy friends, heh.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

The Tango does look like an interesting bike!

Like you, I've been looking for a 29er as well.... my inseam is 29" so like many, it's difficult. I have been looking at the TRail Series in a Small, and as you probably know the standover is 30.5 in the 29er and 29.3 in the 26" wheel. So time will tell.... Perhaps they'll come up with a 650.... I'll have to ask the rep the next time I speak with him.

Good luck in your search!

Quote Originally Posted by ridebikeme View Post
    The Tango does look like an interesting bike!

Like you, I've been looking for a 29er as well.... my inseam is 29" so like many, it's difficult. I have been looking at the TRail Series in a Small, and as you probably know the standover is 30.5 in the 29er and 29.3 in the 26" wheel. So time will tell.... Perhaps they'll come up with a 650.... I'll have to ask the rep the next time I speak with him.

Good luck in your search!
    Oh...I never could find a geometry chart for the Trail SL size small. That pretty much rules it out, then, since my inseam is 30. I'd totally be straddling that puppy in a bad way.

Now I'm especially interested in the Tango!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

I didn't want to scare you off, but I suspected it would be too big for you. I'd probably fit it ok and I'm a few inches taller than you. For C'dale, seems like you need to size down one size to the 29er from what you'd ride in a 26.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Quote Originally Posted by jessmarimba View Post
    I didn't want to scare you off, but I suspected it would be too big for you. I'd probably fit it ok and I'm a few inches taller than you. For C'dale, seems like you need to size down one size to the 29er from what you'd ride in a 26.
    Ahhh...I'm betting the new Tango will take care of that. I worry that sizing down will mean a really short cockpit, which is my primary issue on my F5. I feel way too upright, which makes me feel extra unstable and top-heavy.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

I found more images of the bike on another site...
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Quote Originally Posted by jessmarimba View Post
    Went to our LBS today. Played with a Trail SL in S. Standover was definitely a no-go. I could "stand over" it, but there was NO wiggle room at all. I think the reach would be good, but not the top tube. So the Tango is looking golden, right now!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

So, our LBS buddy is going to some bike trade show event in Utah this weekend. DH gave him explicit instructions to really check out the Tango 29er.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

I am only 5'2.5" with a 29" inseam and have no standover issues on Specialized's small FSR or HT. I was VERY worried about standover but it is a non-issue for me. After I realized that I could focus more on reach, luckily Specialized uses a more compact cockpit than a lot of manufacturers and so the "unisex" bike fits me like a glove. I still have people tell me us short gals can't ride 29ers because of standover but have you seen Emily Batty? She is tiny!

See if they can get you one to demo, that is the best way to see if you have standover issues. The Tango is an interesting design, I think you will see more and more manufacturers experimenting with shorter standover 29ers. When I bought my Gary Fisher FS 26er back in 2008 there was nothing I could standover in a 29er (Austin was definitely flooded with them to try). Fast forward to 2011 when I got my Epic and I had plenty of options to try.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

I think demoing a bike is key as the published geometries of mtbs can be misleading to some extent. With dramatically sloping top tubes, it all depends on where the manufacturer measures along the TT for standover. I know I've been fine on bikes that, on paper, shouldn't fit and vice versa.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

You might look at Giant's offerings, too. The Anthem X 29er W looks like it could fit you, too. I know you're excited about the Tango, but I'd do your best to test out other bikes and brands to make an informed decision--as best you can--as to fit.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    You might look at Giant's offerings, too. The Anthem X 29er W looks like it could fit you, too. I know you're excited about the Tango, but I'd do your best to test out other bikes and brands to make an informed decision--as best you can--as to fit.
    I may have to...I'm interested to hear what our LBS buddy says (he actually took a photo with his phone and addressed it to me on FB, heh). He can generally tell whether or not something will work for me without my even trying. He told me from the get-go that the small Trail SL isn't really all that small.

I wish our LBS carried a wider variety of 29er options -- without looking into really pricey options like Salsa.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

What brands do they carry?

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    What brands do they carry?
    Cdale, Salsa, Surly, Cervelo, Ridley, Gunnar, Seven. A lot of those companies don't do mtn. bikes (Cervelo, Ridley) or they don't offer 29ers in smaller sizes (Gunnar). I have a feeling the Salsa El Mariachi would be a good one to try, but the trick is finding one to try. Our LBS is a small shop and doesn't carry a ton of stock, much less in smaller sizes, particularly with 29ers. Maybe it's something he'd be willing to order, even if it doesn't work for me. I can't imagine that it would be completely unsellable--it seems like the demand is there.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

According to my sales rep, the Tango is going to have the lowest standover height of any womens 29er for 2013. Of course, that could always change... I'll try and get some more info for you