Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

rattling in hoods?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi ladies,

I just picked up my new bike today, a 2013 Specialized Dolce Compact. First ride around the block was great (it's all I had time for) but I noticed a rattling sound in the hood(s) when my hands were on the top bars. Hoods are silent when my hands are on them. The bike comes standard with Shimano 2300 -- any idea what would be causing the rattle? It's very slight, but will drive me nuts over a 20 mile stretch or more.

Thanks,

Katherine

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine M. View Post
    Hi ladies,

I just picked up my new bike today, a 2013 Specialized Dolce Compact. First ride around the block was great (it's all I had time for) but I noticed a rattling sound in the hood(s) when my hands were on the top bars. Hoods are silent when my hands are on them. The bike comes standard with Shimano 2300 -- any idea what would be causing the rattle? It's very slight, but will drive me nuts over a 20 mile stretch or more.

Thanks,

Katherine
    Since it is a new bike, why not take it back to your bike store and tell them about it? It shouldn't cost anything as the bike is certainly under warranty, that is one of the nice things about a brand new bike

+++++ 1 on what Cat said.
    Starbucks.. did someone say Starbucks?!?!
    http://www.cincylights.com

I took it to my LBS today and they fixed it in an hour, no questions asked, and were really nice. Turns out it was a washer sitting in the portion of the brake that indicates what gear you're in. They greased it up really good and the rattling went away.

They said worst case scenario, they would contact Shimano to get a replacement (which wasn't necessary) but they weren't sure they would do anything since it was a "lower end" component -- I am learning the hard way just how expensive bikes are, I guess. I didn't think a $900 bike was "low end" but hey, whatever, it's fixed!