Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sports drinks

sports drinks

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi All,
    Happy New Year,
    I was curious to see what type of sports drink you all use. We have been using powdered gatorade forever for mt biking, backpacking, hiking etc. I was just wondering is there is anything better out there on the market. I always take a sports drink when I am going to be out for more than an hour.

What do you all like?????

Thanks,
    Ruth

Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollgirl
    Hi All,
    Happy New Year,
    I was curious to see what type of sports drink you all use. We have been using powdered gatorade forever for mt biking, backpacking, hiking etc. I was just wondering is there is anything better out there on the market. I always take a sports drink when I am going to be out for more than an hour.
    What do you all like?????
    Thanks,
    Ruth
    Hi rocknrollgirl - I drink Cytomax.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

Gatorade and Sustained Energy.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

water, dilute multivitamin fizzy, or coke (shaken to get the gas out)... of course I have never ridden long enough to require salt replenishment!
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    These days I like ElectroMix made by Alacer, the folks that make Emer'gen-C. It's potassium/calcium/chromium with a little bit of lemon-lime flavor and no sugar whatsoever. If you want to sweeten it up you can (I have, using a little bit of Cytomax), but I find I like it just the way it is. I learned about it from Bike Goddess last year (thanks BG!).

If I'm using sports gel (I like the Crank gels), then I use only water. I don't do that much any more, though. Too much sugar for my system.

When I ran I used Ultima. I doesn't have any sugar either, but is kind of spendy.

Quote Originally Posted by Trekhawk
    Hi rocknrollgirl - I drink Cytomax.
    Me too. It doesn't give me the sugar rush/crash that some other do.

If I'm going to do intervals, or for some reason need an extra kick, I'll toss it about 1/4 C of Red Bull, Monster, or some other energy drink.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Gookinade - a powder available at REI. It's really great for replacing electrolytes without having lots of flavor or sweetness to it.

Quote Originally Posted by nuthatch
    Gookinade - a powder available at REI. It's really great for replacing electrolytes without having lots of flavor or sweetness to it.
    Thanks for the suggestions about low-sugar drinks. I know that part of the reason for the drink is quick calories, and that comes from sugar. But man, oh, man, it's just soooo sweet sometimes! I use Accelerade powder, and put one bottle of that and one bottle of water in the cages. After a long ride or run, I'll drink some Endurox. It's so sweet that I usually make it 1/2 strength. I think I'll try some of the lower sugar mixes and do half & half with Accelerade.

Lise
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

Half-Gatorade, Half-Water.

And, these days, after most rides, hot chocolate.

Quote Originally Posted by Grog
    And, these days, after most rides, hot chocolate.
    Mmmmm, yummy! Me. too!

If on a short ride (which they are these days), plain water is enough.
    Once the weather warms up, rides get longer, then I use gatorade at about 1/2 strength. I've tried Cytomax - it upsets my stomach. I'll use Accelerade if I think I need a bit more than gatorade, but I really don't care for the taste. Rock Star Energy drink (a red bull clone, but cheaper) is very tasty and I'll drink that for variety, but I don't care for the effervescence it has. Put it in your water bottle and every time you open the top --POP, FIZZ-- you get a little squirt out of the bottle. Can get pretty sticky.

annie
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

Gatorade works for me. I carry Gatorade in my water bottles and water in my Camelbak for long rides.

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Quote Originally Posted by nuthatch
    Heck, I'd try that just for the name.

Personally, I tend to just use water, but I seldom go for more than a two-hour ride.
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

If the ride is under 2 hours, plain water is sufficient under most conditions...especially if I've planned ahead and have eaten a small carbo rich snack about an hour before the ride.

For rides over 2 hours I have a strategy similar to what Lise describes: One bottle of Accelerade and one bottle of water. I usually dilute the Accelerade more than the product calls for.

There are other products that I've found that taste better than Accelerade but none of them have worked as well for me in terms of hydration and sustained energy. I would experiment with several products and find the one that works for you.

Gatorade for example is a great product for a lot of people but it gives me cramps when I drink it -even diluted!

-traveller
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster." -- Greg LeMond

Hey rocknrollgirl - I forgot to mention in my previous post Pedialyte. On previous threads about hydration this has been recommended by other forum users who found sports drink didnt agree with them (cramps etc). I always keep some in the house now and it comes in handy when the kids get sick too.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

Interesting

OK, so here is what I have learned so far. Everyone has their own special blend of drink that they like...makes sense, no overwhelming, screaming majority for one product.

Here is what I find interesting....that many of you do not take a sports drink for rides under two hours. Right now we typically mt bike between 90 and 120 mins a session. I always take one if we are going to be out over an hour. I wonder if I need to??? I am working up a good sweat, even in the cold temps. Hmmmmm.....
    In the summer I know I need one without question, it is so stinking hot and humid here.

head scratchin' going on....