Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

home again and struggling with re-entry

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am back from having ridden the length of the Mississippi River from New Orleans to the headwaters of Lake Itasca MN. 33 days of riding 5 days off and1757 miles out of the possible 1820 due to an unfortunate combination of a sleepless night and the tamoxifen kicking in extra hard, which my body does not handle well. In spite of various problems- non functional bike computer, errors in cue sheets, unexpected detours because of ferry closings, and road construction etc. it was a wonderful trip.

Best news this week is that the bike is back at the bike store and being put back together and worked on since I had no granny gear for the last two weeks, which was a pain, but I did manage to power my way through the rollers and hills slowly but surely.

Reentry is a shock- the guides gave us a humorous sheet of things not to do when we got home. Things like:
    if your neighbor is doing laundry, don't ask if you can just throw a few things in
    it is possible to sleep without having your bike next to the bed
    if your neighbor is bar b quing in the driveway, don't pull up a chair and expect to be fed.

To which I add my own:
    there is no daily cue sheet telling you how to get where you need to be or when to be there.
    no one is cooking you a balanced and healthy breakfast, get it yourself.
    There is no snack table
    If you see a white car parked with the rear door or back gate open, don't ride up and start asking for water, cut up fruit, sun screen, and band aids etc.

and finally, remember to use the indoor plumbing not the green room.
    Last edited by marni; 06-17-2012 at 06:25 PM.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

hey marni. welcome back and well done!

very jealous. what a wonderful way to unplug. i can see it might be hard to replug in but sadly it'll take a few days.. maybe even a week likely to feel back in the er.. saddle :/
    Push the pedal down watch the world around fly by us

Nice! Sounds like a great time. Don't forget that "On your left!" sounds plain silly at the grocery store. Also, I'm guessing you don't need to apply chamois butter unless you are actually going to get on your bike.
    2001 Cannondale R500 <3
    2011 Specialized Ruby Elite Apex
    2021 Tangential Speedarama

I know just what you mean, even though I didn't ride near as long as you! I got back from the EMS Memorial Bike Ride on May 27, then rode a century the next day. We ride from Boston to Alexandria VA in 7 days to honor EMS workers in the US that have died in the line of duty. I rode about 400 miles of the 535 miles this year (my 2nd year doing the ride). The "ribbon candy" hills of PA were too much for this 60 year old!!!

It does seem strange to not be riding each day though. No cue sheets, no road markings, no GNU, no bananas - just seems strange! It sounds like you were on a great ride!!!

Sounds like a wonderful trip!! I marched with a drum & bugle corps for 5 summers and I bet my parents wished we had re-entry instructions like that By the time I got home from the summer I could eat in 2 minuts flat, shower in about 30 seconds, picked food up off the ground and ate it (regardless of the 5-second rule) and only wore a shirt when I went in a store. Some days I miss how simple life can be on the road.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

1757 Miles!!!! You're one tough lady! Glad you had a great time. I enjoyed your updates & pics. Thanks for sharing.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD

Wow! I cannot fathom this!

I would add: no need to yell "car back" when being passed while driving.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Welcome home, I can't imagine what the re-entry must be like! There are few ways to really un-plug and what you just did is one of them If you have more stories to share we would love to hear them!

I have had similar re-entry issues after 5-6 day bike vacations! I still expect a beer the minute I get off the bike at the end of the day's ride!

I really think I could live that way! (Get up, eat, cue sheet, bike, beer, eat, sleep and do it all over the next day!)

Sounds like an awesome trip!

K
    katluvr

Quote Originally Posted by marni View Post
    ... remember to use the indoor plumbing not the green room.

I remember this feeling after a 3 week rafting trip in my 20s. In the car, you can't just 'eddy out' and find a nice bushy place!
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

How cool is that? And dealing with tamoxifen at the same time? Wow. Ok, no granny gear sounds like a pain...
    Enjoy the process of re-entry. It is amazing how absurd our constructed life really is. And how quickly we readjust.
    Car back and looking in my helmet mirror when there is no helmet mirror...
    S

marni, welcome home and congratulations on your achievement. I really enjoyed your trip reports along the way and am so glad the ride went as well as it did. You're a champ!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Wow! Welcome home and painless adaptation to "real" world! You are awsome!

Cue sheet, that's awesome.
    I can believe how jars the transition is. I spent 24 days on the Grand Canyon of the Colorado year this time, with the same 16 people. Reentry is a *itch, to say the least. Give yourself a week at least.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Marni, You are my hero. In reading your posts, I often was amazed at the pace and the miles covered everyday. I would have been exhausted and I am "healthy"

hee, hee love the "on your left" in the grocery store - actually wouldn't be a bad idea
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com