Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Well, I would agree to drink water and deal with peeing, but it's NOT an easy thing getting out of your boat to pee in the water. Not even remotely comparable to getting off your bike to pee in a cornfield! I wouldn't even attempt getting out of my boat in the water unless there was another kayaker whose boat I could use to brace mine while I get back in. And I don't recommend anyone trying it unless they've at least had a little training in rescues. You will have your BF with you, but do both of you know how to get you back into your boat once you've gotten out (or even how to get out in the water, without capsizing)?

Pee in your pants if you need to. You'll be washing your boat out and changing your shorts at the end of your paddle anyway...
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

where are you going to be paddling? I'm always looking for new paddling spots. I'll be at Assateague somewhere on Sunday.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    If you like it and decide to continue kayaking, you might consider taking some lessons and learning how to do rescues and proper stroke technique. Ive taken great lessons with Potomac Paddlesports, and I would bet that there are at least a few outfits on the eastern shore. Look for BCU or ACA designation for a start, and ask around.

We went to Snow Hill and paddled. I did surprisingly well. I'm much calmer now than when I was younger. It took me about 30 minutes to get the paddling and steering down but after that, I was fairly golden.

What a beautiful and peaceful sport! I am going to do it a couple of more times before I invest in equipment. If I stick to it, I'll let those nearby know!

PS. Withh, enjoy going out tomorrow!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	034 smaller.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	14627   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	037 smaller.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	14628  
    2013: Riding a Dolce sport compact for fun and a vintage Jetter with cargo rack for commuting

www.bike-sby.org: A network of concerned cyclists working to make our city more bicycle friendly.

Glad you enjoyed your first paddle, lovelygamer!

The place you paddled looks a lot like our paddling grounds in North Carolina. I miss it a lot. We used to pick blackberries along the banks from our boats around the 4th of July and did some great birding. It was always interesting to see what was around the next bend. It was a peaceful, zen experience.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Great job! Glad you had a good time.
    Looks like a nice location.
    Technique can take a while. That's okay. It comes soon enough.
    I can't wait to get our boats out. Just too many other things on the calendar.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

We go on "lakes", well here in Arizona they are man made. We have a Wilderness System tandem and just love it.

So much fun to pack a lunch and go out for the day!
    Lisa

Bacchetta Ti Aero
    ICE B1
    Bacchetta Cafe Mountain Bent

So, were looking at buying a kayak for me. We figure the rental charges will add up fast. Leaning towards a Perception Impulse 10 right now. The one I went in last weekend was a 12.5.

I'm wondering about weight limits. This one lists 275. I'm 215 now, so I guess I would need to watch the cargo I put on with me-generally this wouldn't amount to much anyway?

Sure, I might lose weight in the future because I refuse to let myself be higher than I am now but I am just thinking about all of this in my mind. I am a HUGE safety nut (used to be a paid professional).
    2013: Riding a Dolce sport compact for fun and a vintage Jetter with cargo rack for commuting

www.bike-sby.org: A network of concerned cyclists working to make our city more bicycle friendly.

Wear your pfd - carry a whistle on it (coast guard requirement), don't use a sprayskirt till you've practiced a wet exit. IF you're paddling in DC waters, you are required to have a boater's safety certificate.

Consider joining the Chesapeake Paddler's Association or hitting up their beginner series (membership is not required to paddle with them, but it is only $10 a year) Next spring, I'd recommend you look into going to Sk102 & SK102, the first is a classroom based instruction on kayaking, what to buy, what to wear, etc. The latter is water based instruction for a weekend (strokes, rescues, etc. - $35 for dinner, camping, and about 9 hours of instruction by volunteers, many of whom are professional kayaking coaches)).

Here's the beginner series (which if any of the rest of you who aren't beginners want to join, it's more of a leisurely paddle series)
    http://www.cpakayaker.com/news/192/1...cement_detail/

When you're signing up, mention to them that you are a beginner and have never wet exited - they will come early to teach you how to do those things.

Brian & Jenn B are doing a paddle at Fountainhead on June 30th. Both of them are cyclists, and Brian happens to be a professionally certified kayaking coach who has been volunteering for CPA for years.

You might also want to hit one of the "piracies" which are weekly evening paddles at various locations around the area - again, someone there would be happy to help you with strokes & wet exits. There's 4 locations in Maryland (Riley's Lock on the Potomac, Pier 7 in Annapolis, Baltimore & the Eastern Shore (Paula who runs the eastern shore piracy is a professional coach & excellent with beginners).

As for what boat to buy... What's your long term goal? If you want to put in a lot of mileage or get serious about kayaking, you may outgrow the boat you're looking at fairly quickly. If you just want to putter about & watch boats, you'll be fine. But maybe look at something longer - the perception carolinas or the wilderness systems tsunamis... Buying used off craigslist makes a lot of sense when you're just beginning.

Btw - Tulip - CPA has started a Richmond area piracy that paddles on the James every Wednesday night. The pirate queen, Mary Larson, has a couple spare boats & is willing to bring one for other people... My friend Julie's also got a spare boat she could bring if you wanted to head out with them.

Ziplock bags over you camera is a recipe for getting your camera fried.

For those of you that are saying don't wear your pfd and just have it on your boat - next time you go out on the water. Capsize.

Your hat will be going in one direction, your glasses will be falling off, your water bottle will be coming out of your boat, and any cameras in ziplock bags will be toast.

Then tell me how long it takes you to get your PFD off your boat, put it on securely & tightly, and whether you still have a boat or a paddle afterwards.

Then consider that if you are accidentally capsizing in "flat water" or so, generally speaking either conditions and wind have picked up or a boat has thrown up a huge wake - and realize that if you accidentally capsize, you are going to be freaked out, panicked, and your boat & paddle will be drifting away unless you keep a hold of them... So at least multiply your time above by 1.5 because of the freakout factor. It is absolutely amazing how panicked people can get when they capsize in a kayak - even when they're wearing a life vest & they know how to swim & they're only in 4 feet of water. Which is another reason to practice wet exits.

As for life jackets being hot... it's a water sport. get wet, splash yourself. Invest in a nice low profile life vest. I use a kokatat sea02, which has an all mesh back. NOt much in the front, it's a hybrid life jacket with about 10 lbs of built in floatation which is more than enough to keep me floating, but also has a co2 tank attached to it that will inflate the vest to 22 lbs of floatation if I pull a toggle - it's also got a tube I can blow air into it to fill it up.

As for peeing - I agree, drink a lot of water, don't dehydrate yourself. Jump out of the boat if you have to pee & don't have a choice of getting out. Carry a paddle float, pump, & stirrup & know how to get back into your boat and be able to self rescue.

As for seats - I've got no problems sitting all day long in any of my kayaks. Wilderness systems have extremely nice seats in the tempest or tsunaumi, they're like barca loungers.

Camelbaks - I put one behind my seat. People also get little backpacks that piggyback onto the back of their pfd & hold a hydration bladder. You can also stick a camelbak on your front deck.

Good stuff, Cataboo!
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Cataboo View Post

Btw - Tulip - CPA has started a Richmond area piracy that paddles on the James every Wednesday night. The pirate queen, Mary Larson, has a couple spare boats & is willing to bring one for other people... My friend Julie's also got a spare boat she could bring if you wanted to head out with them.
    Fantastic news! I wonder if they are going from Rocketts, which is right by my house. Thanks so much, Cataboo. I will email you to get Mary Larson's and Julie's info. Still no boat, but I have saved up for it. Thinking fall sales would be a good time.

I would suggest you to do kayaking in flat water and if you are new to kayaking then you should try with inflatable boat. It is easy to paddle and much comfortable and stable in deep water.

Wet exit absolutely terrifies me, especially in the pocomoke river-the deepest in the world for it's width (besides the nile). I absolutely know I'll freak out if I ever end up getting dumped out. I was VERY careful my first time out. I can swim though and I do wear my pfd- so I won't end up dead. My other half says he's only seen one boat flip in his six years of paddling and his friend was being a jerk and TRYING to cause drama, so it was no surprise. I'll see what's more local for education.

One of my friends gifted me a guided kayak tour which I'm hoping to take soon. I did go look at boats and gear twice so far. I haven't had a chance to get back out and paddle, but hopefully later this month. The heat has been too intense. Were looking at a perception for a starting boat, perhaps a 10 foot. They run about $400 new.

I plan to stick to flat water, safe kayaking. I'm happy looking at birds as I slowly roll along near the banks. I like small tributaries. There is an evening guided tour at Assateauge that interests me.

I get that the idea of a wet exit is scary. It was for me, too. I would suggest taking a safety course and learning to wet exit and a few rescue techniques. Practice them in a controlled environment so that you are comfortable with how to do it. Then go back every year for a refresher course. Kayaking, like cycling, has risks and being prepared is alot more fun than being caught off guard.

There's wonderful paddling in your area. Enjoy it!