Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Help sought on basic saddle setup

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello! I'm new to these forums and am struggling with my saddle setup - hope someone can help.

I commute by bike. My old commute was 11 miles each way, but after a recent move, it's now 22 miles each way and while 22 miles a day wasn't quite far enough to give me problems, 44 definitely is. I tried the full there-and-back yesterday for the first time, and am very sore/bruised today.

I looked at some of the stickied threads on saddles, and they are largely based on sit-bone width. My sit bones rarely, if ever press on the saddle and instead my weight seems to be much further forward, so I know my basic saddle setup is probably wrong.

I used to ride a men's hybrid (Trek 7.3), then had a WSD Trek road bike for a while, but didn't like the head-down position for stop-start city riding. I never managed to find a comfy saddle on my old hybrid, and settled on a Jett 155 which at least had a cutout and reduced my bits and pieces getting squashed. The saddle situation on the road bike was better - I had a Sella SMP on that, and got it set up so my weight was mostly on my sit bones, plus the drop-away nose reduced chafing at the front. I was pretty happy with that.

My current bike is a Trek 7.6. WSD. I tried the saddle which came on it for a while, but couldn't push it far forward enough on the rails to get it to where my weight rested on my sit bones. Instead, my weight tended to rest on my labia and further forward, which meant lots of soreness after every ride.

I have now swapped this saddle back to the Selle SMP Pro (men's).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339664566.300286.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	4.7 KB 
ID:	14614
    If I roll my back I can get my sit bones to rest on the back of the saddle, and again the dropped nose and middle cutout has alleviated a lot of the chafing at the front. However, my weight seems to rest on the tendons where my legs join my body, and that area feels very bruised and tender after cycling to the point where I can't bear to cycle for a day or do afterwards. If I push the saddle forwards so that my sit bones rest on the saddle, the front of the saddle (before the nose drops) is too wide and rubs/bruises me.

This is all clearly wrong. I don't know if there are other factors here, like the bike being the wrong size, or my saddle being too high/low (I ride clipless and have the saddle at the height it's supposed to be with the leg at full stretch at the bottom of the pedal if your heel is dipped, etc)

All saddles seem to be flat across the top, yet my anatomy undulates wildly. In that respect the Sella SMP has fitted the contours of my body much better than most, but even that seems too wide across the front, leading to the bruising on my inner thigh/crotch area.

I'm totally stuck. I don't really have £185 to spend on another SMP saddle (which may not work) but if anyone has tried one of the narrower versions of the SMP saddle and found it works for them, I'd love to know!

Any advice gratefully accepted

I wouldn't even assume the cockpit is too long. A saddle that's too wedge (pear) shaped can force you forward so that you couldn't be on your sitbones no matter how close to the bars you are. And yes, that saddle is not only very wedge-shaped, it's got an extremely wide nose. Considering you've got two issues that could both be related to saddle shape, I'd try a more T-shaped saddle before I did any other fit tweaks.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Thanks for the advice

Sadly the SMP is pretty old now - I used it for a year and the covering leather is visibly worn (I.e. flaking off to the grey suede underneath).

I'll measure my sit bones properly and see what's available in the way of t-shaped saddles.