Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

lance armstrong: new doping charges

To disable ads, please log-in.

http://bicycling.com/blogs/dailylanc...agency-report/

Boy, this guy can't catch a break. I fully agree with his language in this article. These are the same trumped up charges from years ago.

I don't see how an endurance athlete who competed for that many years (and still does) and passed that many drug tests can be doping in the way they are saying he did.

What do you think?

It is really a shame that he is now banned from Tri's, which he took up after he retired.
    2013: Riding a Dolce sport compact for fun and a vintage Jetter with cargo rack for commuting

www.bike-sby.org: A network of concerned cyclists working to make our city more bicycle friendly.

I don't know what to think.
    I want to believe him. My whole family started cycling right around the time he won his first Tour. It was a major influence, I think, especially on my son.
    On the other hand, it's quite possible he is smart enough to have had clean tests and still be doing something funny.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    ahhhh... it's Lance-hating season again.
    Seems they go through this every few years.
    I want to believe he's clean. Nobody has been tested more than he has. I can't imagine that you could fake your way through 500 drug tests and come clean in every one. But who knows...
    Here we go again.

Lance's response
    Last edited by Tri Girl; 06-14-2012 at 04:43 AM.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

I've always wondered about all the allegations, but something isn't right here. If he was dirty in 2009 and 2010, why wasn't he charged then? I certainly don't like that USAT has already convicted him and suspended him; guilty until proved innocent? The usual punishment for these sorts of violations is a 2 year suspension, so why is USAT suspending him now?

I don't want to say "vendetta", but something isn't right.
    Last edited by HillSlugger; 06-14-2012 at 07:19 AM.
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Girl View Post
    ahhhh... it's Lance-hating season again.
    Seems they go through this every few years.
    ALWAYS right before the tour de France. This really bugs me. It's like they wait for the middle of June on purpose.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by redrhodie View Post
    ALWAYS right before the tour de France. This really bugs me. It's like they wait for the middle of June on purpose.
    And right before he was supposed to race an Ironman, which he is now automatically banned from

Don't know if he did it - but really sick of hearing about it. This ship shoulda sailed a long time ago.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I don't know why he didn't just stay retired. He had to know this stuff would come up again. What does he have to prove?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I don't know why he didn't just stay retired. He had to know this stuff would come up again. What does he have to prove?
    Driven athletes find it VERY hard to walk away and retire.

I just read another article and realize I had it a bit wrong in my earlier post: he's banned from WTC (Ironman) events, but not from USAT events. The article says that WTC rules dictate an athlete is ineligible to compete during an open investigation.

There needs to be a statute of limitation on drug-test allegations.
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Here's an interesting take on the matter.

http://inrng.com/2012/06/usada-charges-armstrong/

I really enjoy the Inner Ring blog, I think the articles there are informative & well reasoned. And the comments are often worth reading.
    Last edited by jobob; 06-14-2012 at 07:42 AM.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

I too, assume he is extremely driven and competitive. I'm going to read these other article links. Thanks! Interesting conversation.
    2013: Riding a Dolce sport compact for fun and a vintage Jetter with cargo rack for commuting

www.bike-sby.org: A network of concerned cyclists working to make our city more bicycle friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by HillSlugger View Post
    Driven athletes find it VERY hard to walk away and retire....

There needs to be a statute of limitation on drug-test allegations.
    The tests in question are two or three years old. The older ones are just "pattern and practice," as they say.

As far as whether it would be easy to walk away, that goes without saying. Same reason Casey Stoner's retirement was so stunning - not that anyone thought it's a bad time in his career to make that choice, only that so few athletes retire from the pinnacle. I guess if someone told Lance that he was taking the easy way out by continuing to compete, maybe that would be the incentive he needs. "Prove to us you can do something REALLY hard." I'm obviously not the only one who's sick of hearing about him.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 06-14-2012 at 08:15 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

While I'm tired of what is appearing more and more to be a witch hunt, this article is rather interesting about the implications for the UCI.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/usad...-ashenden-says
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Performance enhancing drugs (PEDs) in:

Baseball. Is Clemens the LA of baseball?
    Someone(s) even put up a list of those suspended. It's long.

Mixed Martial Arts. (shocking! Just shocking!)

NASCAR (they race trucks??)

Football. (really, where is the outrage?)

Track.

I suppose with Google, I could go on. Horse racing, anyone? Skeet? Hockey? Luge? If you look for it - you will find it. So why the drama over a dead team and a retired cyclist? Why the front page news whenever The Big LA is mentioned? (and not even that..."leaked" more like it)?

Except for the Clemens' case - which is more about perjury than taking PEDs - why don't any of these cases make the front page of the Washington Post? Is it because Americans truly hate cyclists and cycling and want to take us/them down? Is it to sell papers to all those "I hate those pansy lycra wearing Lance Wannabe's who get in my way" in their big gas guzzling cars? Is it because we are so cynical that we don't want to believe a cancer survivor did anything positive? We probably all know someone who didn't survive cancer. Makes us want to think - hey, Uncle Charlie (or dad) couldn't beat it....why you??

Personally, I think the fact that this tired stuff makes the news says more about society than it does about drugs, cycling, or justice.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Just a thought - This is right after her pushed VERY hard to add $1 on to the price of cigarettes in Ca. to fund cancer research. He pissed off some very powerful people with that one and almost won. While these things always do happen right before the Tour I do wonder if any of those powerful people he pissed have anything to do with this.
    Savra

2006 Specialized Dolce Elite/Specialized Stock Saddle
    2011 Surly LHT/Brooks S Flyer

Most of all I'm annoyed with the amount of tax payer $$ that in my mind, USADA is wasting, not just on LA but so many other items.