Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

how is it even legal to spend taxpayer money on this? it's not like it's infrastructure that could benefit all of us??!!

Not all who wander are lost

What about the docs/coachs that administer these drugs? Are they held accountable for aiding these athletes? After all, they are breaking the law as well. Or these organizations really can't because they have no true "law" authority?

Lance is over and done with so I don't understand the witch hunts. Catch the new guys. We've moved on. So should these organizations. Or maybe they can't catch the new guys out of ineptness so they keep referring back to the older ones.

I see doping as a form of cowardness. Be a man and win because of your own ability and skills, not from drugs that have been banned.

I read some interesting comments yesterday by Sally Jenkins, a sports columnist who co-wrote his books with him and considers him a friend. But she pointed out that regardless of which athlete is being accused, there are two big problems with the USADA. They were the ones doing all the testing, and now they're saying their test results are worthless. And no one has ever won an appeal, which indicates a bias in the system.

Elsewhere, I read that it would be illegal for the Federal Grand Jury to turn its findings over to anyone, including the USADA.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by Bethany1 View Post
    Lance is over and done with so I don't understand.
    Someone needs to tell Lance that (and I wish they would). If he hadn't decided to compete at a high level in triathlon, none of this would be coming out now.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Someone needs to tell Lance that (and I wish they would). If he hadn't decided to compete at a high level in triathlon, none of this would be coming out now.
    I don't think so. This is a result of Floyd Landis's accusations a few years ago.

I can't blame someone for wanting to continue to compete in sports as they get older.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

What about the docs/coachs that administer these drugs? Are they held accountable for aiding these athletes? After all, they are breaking the law as well. Or these organizations really can't because they have no true "law" authority?

Lance is over and done with so I don't understand the witch hunts. Catch the new guys. We've moved on. So should these organizations. Or maybe they can't catch the new guys out of ineptness so they keep referring back to the older ones.

I see doping as a form of cowardness. Be a man and win because of your own ability and skills, not from drugs that have been banned.
    I think the doctors involved are precisely the issue. There are many suspected of "helping" athletes dope and they are still active. If you prove specific athletes, retired or not, doped with their help, these doctors can also be convicted and banned from practice. The USADA is collaborating with the Italian Cycling Federation on the Ferrari case (see the Cycling News article). As you can imagine, doctors and athletes hide their tracks very well, establishing shell companies in different countries to receive payments. The forensic accounting cannot be easy.

What about the docs/coachs that administer these drugs? Are they held accountable for aiding these athletes?
    The charges are not leveled only at Armstrong. A Team Director, 2 Team Doctors, a Consulting Doctor, and a Team Trainer have also been accused.

See this link for the letter. http://online.wsj.com/public/resourc...arging0613.pdf

Edited to give a nod to jobob, who pointed this out several days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by roo4 View Post
    The charges are not leveled only at Armstrong. A Team Director, 2 Team Doctors, a Consulting Doctor, and a Team Trainer have also been accused.

See this link for the letter. http://online.wsj.com/public/resourc...arging0613.pdf

Edited to give a nod to jobob, who pointed this out several days ago.
    I had bookmarked the article jobob linked, but read it only this afternoon. Very interesting.

Holy moley

Hincapie, Leipheimer, Vande Velde, Zabriskie opted out of Olympics

I had mixed feelings when it was announced that Taylor Phinney was selected to represent the US for the time trial; while I think Phinney is fabulous, Dave Z has been having a great season, and earlier this year he was quoted as hoping to be selected for the Olympic TT. How could they deny Captain America?

But now news comes out that Zabriskie asked not to be considered? Holy moley.

----

Ed to add: I just came across this article that was published a few days ago, before the US Olympic road cycling teams were announced:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/...ections_224183

An excerpt:

"Of the remaining former Armstrong teammates, Zabriskie is the most likely to earn an Olympic nod, having won the time trial at the Amgen Tour of California and defended his national title in May. If the seven-time national champion is snubbed for the time trial in favor of the younger Taylor Phinney, there will likely be speculation that factors other than medal capability came into play. Phinney is the future for American medal hopes in the TT, but Zabriskie continues to show that he is currently the best time trial rider in the U.S."

Looks like DZ was screwed over by all this. Bah.
    Last edited by jobob; 06-18-2012 at 05:33 PM.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by jobob View Post
    Hincapie, Leipheimer, Vande Velde, Zabriskie opted out of Olympics

I had mixed feelings when it was announced that Taylor Phinney was selected to represent the US for the time trial; while I think Phinney is fabulous, Dave Z has been having a great season, and earlier this year he was quoted as hoping to be selected for the Olympic TT. How could they deny Captain America?

But now news comes out that Zabriskie asked not to be considered? Holy moley.
    It's an odd article -- quotes a couple of the riders who declined selection stating how much they would like to go to the Olympics. I, too, have conflicted feelings about David Z not being selected. I likey Phinney, but Dave Z is much fun to watch.

And now we know ... the rest of the story.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

How wrong I was. I was in the "level playing field" camp. Now I'm glad they didn't stop investigating, because he hurt a lot of people.

The plot reminds me of "Breaking Bad". I no longer have any sympathy for Mr. White, either.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by redrhodie View Post
    How wrong I was. I was in the "level playing field" camp. Now I'm glad they didn't stop investigating, because he hurt a lot of people.

+1. As you said, I really couldn't care less about Lance - I think he's been "lanced" enough (tee hee) given his enormous ego. But he dragged a lot of people through the mud.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

I'm wondering how much of this will stick to Allen Lim (and if not, what kind of behind-the-scenes PR machine he must have!). Skratch Labs products made such a splash last fall with a nationwide retail rollout. Haven't really heard his name since - one way or the other. His name got bounced around during the last go-round - this time, nothing.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Joke about Lance - emailed to me. I don't know the origin:

"I wish everybody would quit vilifying poor Lance Armstrong. All he did was ride his bike while he was doing drugs. Heck - when I did drugs I couldn't even FIND my bike."
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid