Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jockey wheel cleaning on mtb

To disable ads, please log-in.

I mountain biked all weekend in VERY dusty and dry conditions. My favorite trail system in southern Indiana looks closer to the desert right now than anything. Lots of dust and even some places where the trail tread is starting to crack from the dry conditions.

I've noted my jockey wheel is totally caked with dust. This isn't a surprise, I am just trying to figure out the easiest way to clean it. Q-tips? old toothbrush? Is it really necessary to take the chain off? I don't remember seeing it quite this bad before, and I only rode two days.

Part of me is a little concerned I will damage it, but that nervousness will pass once I've done it a time or two. That bike has survived many trail falls over the last year or so - it will survive my attempts to take care of the drive-train properly.
    Last edited by Catrin; 06-12-2012 at 03:07 AM.

I 'grab' the caked on dirt with a slightly damp microfiber cloth, rotating the the jockey wheel to expose the grime. That does the trick nicely.
    Help me reach my $8,000 goal for the American Lung Association! Riding Seattle to D.C. for clean air! http://larissaridesforcleanair.org
    http://action.lungusa.org/goto/larissapowers

Quote Originally Posted by Reesha View Post
    I 'grab' the caked on dirt with a slightly damp microfiber cloth, rotating the the jockey wheel to expose the grime. That does the trick nicely.
    Ooooh, this is a very good idea and simple as well. Thanks Reesha, I knew there had to be a more simple approach from what I was considering.

I do what Reesha does. Works a charm!

I use an old toothbrush. Clean the whole drivetrain at the same time so that grime from one part doesn't wind up re-contaminating the rest of it.

Usually my procedure for a deep cleaning is chain cleaner with Park Tool solvent first, then scrub the cogs and derailleurs using the solvent remaining on them from the chain cleaning (Park Tool's derailleur brush is really handy for getting in between the cassette cogs, as well as between the brake caliper arms, although often I'll need to use a shop-grade paper towel folded once or twice to get into the really narrow spaces). Then rinse with water, spray with Simple Green, re-scrub spots I missed, repeat until everything's clean, using a soft rag for frame cleaning and a garden pump sprayer to rinse the grime off - just the right amount of pressure to get the chain really clean, and a nice narrow stream, so I'm not risking forcing water and soap into bearings where they don't belong.

Then re-lube everything (chain, brakes, derailleurs) of course.

I usually only go to that extent about twice a year, but now and then it's nice having a clean bike.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I want to try this stuff for the cassette and chainrings: http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/gear-floss.htm

Next time I place a bike stuff order, I'm going to add it to the list.

That looks really handy! I wonder how easy it is to wash.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    That looks really handy! I wonder how easy it is to wash.
    I'm thinking that I could toss it in a mesh bag and wash it when I do my other rags. In theory, it should wash up like any other microfiber cloth- it will still be grease-stained, but not greasy-feeling.

I'll report back once I get a chance to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    I want to try this stuff for the cassette and chainrings: http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/gear-floss.htm

Next time I place a bike stuff order, I'm going to add it to the list.
    I have this, it is great for cleaning the cassette. I got it from my wish list for Christmas Washing is interesting, I am thinking about just tossing them in the washer next time but the pieces of "floss" are pretty short.

Oh yes, WHERE are you finding Simple Green locally? I refuse to pay shipping charges. I've been unable to find a local source but that probably just means I've not been looping at the right store...

I just take the chain off and swoosh it in a bottle with chain cleaner. I like the White Lightening spray cleaner for this as it evaporates totally from the chain so no rinsing/water is required. SRAM power-links are reusable and it gets it cleaner quicker than the tool. It works for me, my LBS wrenches converted me to this method.

Hardware store? Ace/Home Depot etc.? Auto parts store? Supermarket? I can get at any of these.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    Hardware store? Ace/Home Depot etc.? Auto parts store? Supermarket? I can get at any of these.
    Perhaps it is just regional, for I've looked at all of the above. Not an auto parts store though, I will try that. Thanks!

Around here, the BJ's warehouse club sells Simple Green. Maybe a friend or co-worker with a membership could check for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    Around here, the BJ's warehouse club sells Simple Green. Maybe a friend or co-worker with a membership could check for you?
    BJ Warehouse Club? I am not familiar with that one. I will just continue with my usual White Lightening spray, I can get that local and as it totally evaporates no rinsing is required.

2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM