Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Teva vs Five Tens

To disable ads, please log-in.

I decided to put this here since it is directly related to mountain biking.

I ride Sun Ringle ZuZu pedals on my mountain bike and currently wear a decent pair of hiking shoes. My feet stay on...most of the time. The key term in that statement is "most". I am not going to be ready, or at least not confident enough, to clip on on the trail for the foreseeable future, and my clinic instructor this weekend advised me to strongly consider getting either Teva or Five Tens. They are made for it and are very grippy, certainly more than my hiking shoes. She rides Five Tens when she is on her down hill bike. If they stay on the pedals during serious downhill riding, they will stay on for cross-country riding in the Midwest.

I've a little concern about really grippy shoes because the reason I am currently not clipping in on the trail is I don't want to have to take that extra second or so to unclip. She suggested that I might want to consider Teva shoes as an intermediate step between my hiking shoes and Five Tens as they are not quite as grippy.

Has anyone here ridden either for mountain biking? I don't have it in the budget right now, but am starting my research so I will have my mind made up which way to jump when I've enough set aside.

Currently I am considering the Teva Freeride and the Five Ten Karver although I am open to other suggested models in either brand.
    Last edited by Catrin; 06-11-2012 at 08:03 AM.

Catrin--no advice. I've always ridden clipless. But I am interested in what you end up doing and how it works out for you.

I am planning on going back to flat pedals this summer for a trial period. I have serious issues with foot pain and numbness. I have tried all sorts of things: inserts, moving the cleats, different socks, different shoes, different SIZE shoes . . . and nothing helps.

I've been reading several articles lately about pro-flat pedals for mountain biking. Including this one.

I'm going to give it a shot and see if there's any improvement. I'll be looking into a new pair of shoes myself . . .
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

I wear Five Ten Chase model. These are the low cut, women's shoe. They don't stick to the pedals aggressively enough to require even close to the amount of forethought and energy that it takes to unclip. I think that they stay on the pedals far better than hiking boots but my feet still bounce around on occasion. They've never bounced OFF of the pedal, though. I personally wouldn't wear any shoe that is less sticky than Five Tens so that means that Teva would be out for me.

The other thing that I like about Five Tens is that they don't have a cut out for a cleat. The solid bottom surface provides more contact area with pedal which further helps keep my foot in place. (This applies to Tevas also.)

My feet do stick to the pedals enough to make it difficult to slide my foot to reposition it on the pedal. I have to physically lift my foot a little bit to move it.

I'll never go back to clipless on the mountain bike!
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD

Thanks to both of you. I've time to think about it - I need to get my front shifter fixed on my Jamis before anything else - thankfully it isn't an expensive fix It will be later in the season before I can get new shoes. Just thinking ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by limewave View Post
    Catrin--no advice. I've always ridden clipless. But I am interested in what you end up doing and how it works out for you.

I am planning on going back to flat pedals this summer for a trial period. I have serious issues with foot pain and numbness. I have tried all sorts of things: inserts, moving the cleats, different socks, different shoes, different SIZE shoes . . . and nothing helps.

I've been reading several articles lately about pro-flat pedals for mountain biking. Including this one.
    I will let you know how it goes Limewave. My instructor this weekend was a retired pro downhill racer and she really likes using platforms and Five Tens. I have the idea she used them for training, don't know what she used for racing (she clipped in for the clinic)...Let me know what shoes you decide to go with.

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    I wear Five Ten Chase model. These are the low cut, women's shoe. They don't stick to the pedals aggressively enough to require even close to the amount of forethought and energy that it takes to unclip. I think that they stay on the pedals far better than hiking boots but my feet still bounce around on occasion. They've never bounced OFF of the pedal, though. I personally wouldn't wear any shoe that is less sticky than Five Tens so that means that Teva would be out for me.....
    Thanks Artistia - I see the Chase are sold as a running/hiking shoe. Out of curiosity, have you tried any of their mtb specific models? It sounds like these work well for you though, which is very helpful. Which pedals do you use?

http://forums.mtbr.com/womens-lounge...ls-790984.html

huge discussion on flats for women, what fits what foot and so on.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

The Chase model is listed as a BMX shoe on the Five Ten website. The sole isn't as stiff as my Shimano MTB shoes but stiff enough to ride in. I appreciate the additional flexibility when I have to walk my bike.

I'm using these inexpensive pedals from REI. Here's a link http://www.rei.com/product/752205/we...-21-atb-pedals
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB

The Chase model is listed as a BMX shoe on the Five Ten website. The sole isn't as stiff as my Shimano MTB shoes but stiff enough to ride in. I appreciate the additional flexibility when I have to walk my bike.

I'm using these inexpensive pedals from REI. Here's a link http://www.rei.com/product/752205/we...-21-atb-pedals
    It would be interesting to see how your Chase shoes perform with BMX pedals - my ZuZu pedals have 10 or 12 adjustable pins on each side. I had seen the Chase on another site where they were sold as running/hiking shoes. I bet they are just marketed in different ways. Anyway, thank you very much for your review of these and I will add them to the list I am considering.

Do you find Five Ten's shoe sizes run true? Did you have to go up/down in size?
    Last edited by Catrin; 06-11-2012 at 10:10 AM.

Even though I ride clipless and XC, I have a pair of Five Ten Karver shoes. I bought them for everyday use. They have nice grip but withot the effort to unclip. You don't need to go up or down in sizes, I think they are pretty correct (at least in the European sizes). They are comfortable for walking, too. Also they have half sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    http://forums.mtbr.com/womens-lounge...ls-790984.html

huge discussion on flats for women, what fits what foot and so on.
    Ooo, I just saw this post, thanks! I will add this to my reading list! I need to get there more often.

The need for something different became apparent Saturday on our group ride. My pedals weren't even (bad Catrin), and one foot hit a rock while I was going downhill on an edge...and BOTH feet flew off the pedals while flying rather quickly downhill and going into a turn or two Somehow I handled it, didn't panic (the key), and got things back under control without riding off the edge. YES

I think different shoes would have prevented both feet from flying off though obviously something will happen on the side that strikes the rock.
    Last edited by Catrin; 06-11-2012 at 10:17 AM.

Hmmm; you also likely would have had been able to keep both feet on the pedals (and had level pedals) if you'd been out of the saddle in a ready/go position, which I'd suggest you arguably should have been if you were going down a rocky descent with a turn a turn or two. In the past, you've expressed some hesitation about riding out of the saddle. Did the clinic make you feel more secure with that?
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I've heard women say that they think that the Five Tens run true to size but I had to size up a full size over what I normally wear for athletics. That equated to 1 1/2 sizes larger than I wear for everyday. My foot is a little wide but I can wear most everyday shoes in a B width. I think that you'll just have to try them on to see.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    Hmmm; you also likely would have had been able to keep both feet on the pedals (and had level pedals) if you'd been out of the saddle in a ready/go position, which I'd suggest you arguably should have been if you were going down a rocky descent with a turn a turn or two. In the past, you've expressed some hesitation about riding out of the saddle. Did the clinic make you feel more secure with that?
    Oh I can do it, the problem is that on the trails I ride that I am quite comfortable staying in the saddle and thus forget to do it until I am down the descent...I DO shift my weight back however and and and and and...yes, I need to practice more at doing this. The instructor following me said I did a pretty good job at keeping my pedals level. She was coaching me as we rode but she was focusing on other things. I CAN, however, now ride Limekiln in the middle chain - I wasn't brave enough to do that last year

Oddly enough I seemed to be riding better this weekend after 8 months off the mtb than I was before my injury last year. Not that I am complaining but that was a surprise.

I've heard women say that they think that the Five Tens run true to size but I had to size up a full size over what I normally wear for athletics. That equated to 1 1/2 sizes larger than I wear for everyday. My foot is a little wide but I can wear most everyday shoes in a B width. I think that you'll just have to try them on to see.
    This is good to know, when the time comes I will see if Zappos has the model I decide upon. I have a narrow foot but not extremely so.
    Last edited by Catrin; 06-11-2012 at 11:23 AM.

I know you can do it, I'd just encourage you to practice, practice, practice as it should ideally become instinctive, i.e., not something you "forget" to do. I'm certainly no expert, but from my own experience as a new mtber, it was the biggest thing I took from the clinic last year. Putting it into practice post-clinic was like having a huge light bulb go off in terms of bike handling and safety. Technical sections and descents became so much easier.

And I'm not saying that this solves your pedal/shoe problem. I'm frustrated myself with my platform pedal/hiking shoe combination and have been thinking about my next step. I'm not sure I'm ready for clipless, and I'm not even certain I want to go that route.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    I know you can do it, I'd just encourage you to practice, practice, practice as it should ideally become instinctive, i.e., not something you "forget" to do. I'm certainly no expert, but from my own experience as a new mtber, it was the biggest thing I took from the clinic last year. Putting it into practice post-clinic was like having a huge light bulb go off in terms of bike handling and safety. Technical sections and descents became so much easier.

And I'm not saying that this solves your pedal/shoe problem. I'm frustrated myself with my platform pedal/hiking shoe combination and have been thinking about my next step. I'm not sure I'm ready for clipless, and I'm not even certain I want to go that route.
    Yes, Kathi told me afterwards (several times) that I would be much more comfortable if I were simply to get more in the aft/ready position when descending. Part of it is I am afraid that it would be too much pressure on my knee, but that shouldn't happen if my pedals are truly level.

My plan is when I return to hit my "favorite trail" (not) and work with this very thing. I may not care overly much for Pine Loop, but there are no rocks or other obstacles on that trail to distract me. I think I would have had an easier time on the gnarlier sections of NT Loop yesterday if I had been out of the saddle more.

It doesn't solve my shoe/pedal situation, but it will help. I generally like my hiking shoes but I do need a better solution since I've no intention on clipping in on the trails for at least another year or two - if ever. I think my ZuZu pedals are fine, grippier shoes will be the rest of the equation, at least for me.
    Last edited by Catrin; 06-11-2012 at 01:59 PM.

Cr@p Irulan! I was just fine with my cheap pedals until you posted the link to the shoe conversation and I made the mistake of clicking on some of the pedal links. Lead me not into temptation
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB