Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Recommendations for body care during cross country tour?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey folks!

Packing week has arrived and one of the things I keep holding off on is getting toiletries to clean myself during the big trip. I will defer to experienced bicycle tourists for this stuff.

My ride is fully supported, so it's not important that everything be super compact (no need to have an all in one body/shampoo/conditioner wash). We will be riding an average of 80 miles per day though. I'm guessing chafing will be an issue occasionally. Sunblock, salt, dirt, grit etc will coat my skin daily. I have naturally red hair and I'm a bit concerned about the prolonged sun exposure to it, but perhaps I should get a UV protectant for that.

Any recommendations of whether to get an antibacterial soap for the undercarriage?

What do you do when you're on tour?

Thanks in advance!
    Help me reach my $8,000 goal for the American Lung Association! Riding Seattle to D.C. for clean air! http://larissaridesforcleanair.org
    http://action.lungusa.org/goto/larissapowers

In my experience, antibacterial soaps can upset the normal, and hopefully healthy, pH of your vagina and induce a yeast infection. I would stick to whatever soap you normally use. Now is not the time to change to products your body is not used to. But even with that, use it to clean your backside and the crease of your inner thigh, but go easy on your genitals. Trust me, you do not want to ride with a yeast infection.

The one and only saddle sore that I had was in the fold of my inner thigh. Benzoyl Peroxide took care of it, but you have to be careful. The cream will bleach most clothes. I would apply it at night and sleep without underwear.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    What sunblock are you using?

I suggest Aubrey Organics for sensitive skin/children, and the Aubrey Organics stick.

I use it at the beach in saltwater, and I can still see the stuff when I come out of the water.

I'm very pale too. Not redhead pale, but right next to that. You do have to rub it in (especially the stick). Helps to use another moisturizer first. Also helps to be hot and sweaty. But it works, and doesn't bother my skin.

Edit: TE has a lot of SPF clothing. Some by Canari, some by De Soto, others too. I use the Cool Wings more than anything to prevent sun exposure. If you do a search for SPF on the TE site, it will give you the best selection. (Hey Susan, that would be great under the Specialty menu!).
    Thanks for the tips Muirenn! I have badger sunblock, but that's for when I'm off the bike mostly. Last time I rode with it on my face I'd wiped it (and my sweat) off in a few places and had a really uneven sunburn! I picked up neutrogena's 'wet' sunblock stick for kids that can be applied to wet or dry skin... works great for my face and cheeks.

I'll be wearing PI sun sleeves every day. Otherwise I'll have to check out the avalon organics sunblock for my knees and neck!
    Help me reach my $8,000 goal for the American Lung Association! Riding Seattle to D.C. for clean air! http://larissaridesforcleanair.org

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    In my experience, antibacterial soaps can upset the normal, and hopefully healthy, pH of your vagina and induce a yeast infection. I would stick to whatever soap you normally use. Now is not the time to change to products your body is not used to. But even with that, use it to clean your backside and the crease of your inner thigh, but go easy on your genitals. Trust me, you do not want to ride with a yeast infection.

The one and only saddle sore that I had was in the fold of my inner thigh. Benzoyl Peroxide took care of it, but you have to be careful. The cream will bleach most clothes. I would apply it at night and sleep without underwear.
    Ah, the reason I posted here. You guys are a wealth of [unpleasant] learning experiences! I use aveeno body wash, I guess I'll just stick to that! We'll also be getting yogurt every morning.

I had a saddle sore earlier this spring and I just 'rode it out' so to speak. Didn't think to apply anything to it. Good tip!

I recently purchased and love the Canari SPF jerseys in screaming orange and killer yellow. They're light and very breathable. Some are currently on sale.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I use a mild, for sensitive skin soap for all over my body, including undercarriage. I totally agree with indy, that stronger soaps upset the ph balance of your vagina and around there. Hotels don't necessarily offer great soaps.

Besides, you don't want to over-dry the whole undercarriage skin area with strong soaps.

In addition to strong sunblocks, is to generously use rich body lotion each time after shower. Even if one sweats alot during the day. My skin on my legs, etc. gets drier. (when already I have dry leg skin)

Of course, face moisturizer after shower is important since one is cycling for several hrs. daily.

I've only had the luxury of a sag wagon...3-4 group rides in all 20 years. Other trips I've had to cycle with my toiletries and clothing.

For long touring rides of severals or weeks, I make sure I have my hair cut short..so I don't have to use a hair blower!
    Last edited by shootingstar; 06-10-2012 at 03:01 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

+1 on all of Indy's tips. Boxer shorts are my best post-ride friends, and I'll often wear them under my clothes in place of panties after a long ride. They don't rub saddle sore areas like underwear can.

I like to use a mesh pouf in the shower- it seems to help scrub off sunscreen and road grime better than a wash cloth and it dries faster too.

I like boyshort-style underwear for after rides, to avoid seams in areas that might be chafed.

I keep a container of Wet-Ones in my bike bag for quick clean ups immediately after riding. They are great for removing road grime and grease, especially if it will be a while before you can hit the shower. They're also great for getting my hands clean after cleaning and lubing my chain. However I only use them on non-sensitive areas like arms, legs and hands.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    +1 on all of Indy's tips. Boxer shorts are my best post-ride friends, and I'll often wear them under my clothes in place of panties after a long ride. They don't rub saddle sore areas like underwear can.

I like to use a mesh pouf in the shower- it seems to help scrub off sunscreen and road grime better than a wash cloth and it dries faster too.
    In a similar vein, I have some cotton undies from Victiria's Secret that have lighter elastic than your average panty. They're my go-to undie on bike tours. Elastic is not your friend when you're chafed.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    I use a mild, for sensitive skin soap for all over my body, including undercarriage. I totally agree with indy, that stronger soaps upset the ph balance of your vagina and around there. Hotels don't necessarily offer great soaps.

Besides, you don't want to over-dry the whole undercarriage skin area with strong soaps.

In addition to strong sunblocks, is to generously use rich body lotion each time after shower. Even if one sweats alot during the day. My skin on my legs, etc. gets drier. (when already I have dry leg skin)

Of course, face moisturizer after shower is important since one is cycling for several hrs. daily.

I've only had the luxury of a sag wagon...3-4 group rides in all 20 years. Other trips I've had to cycle with my toiletries and clothing.

For long touring rides of severals or weeks, I make sure I have my hair cut short..so I don't have to use a hair blower!
    Great tips! I am bringing 100% shea butter with me... been using it on my legs, arms face, and whatever else demands it for a few weeks now and it's amazing. It completely softened the hardcore tanlines on my arm (or should I say freckle lines)

I hadn't thought about boy shorts but will have to look into it! Any recommendations? I used to have some patagonia boy shorts but they are spendy!

Reesha, I don't have any tips but I was just curious about your ride. Will you be with a team of riders and/or when do you hit DC? I am about 1.5 hours south.
    2013: Riding a Dolce sport compact for fun and a vintage Jetter with cargo rack for commuting

www.bike-sby.org: A network of concerned cyclists working to make our city more bicycle friendly.

Yes, there will be 18 of us riding into the capitol together on August 4th. Team American Lung Association (unofficially )

I'm not sure what time we'll arrive... probably early afternoon because I know we stop for lunch at the post office pavilion. It's only a 40 mile day though!

When you're out all day, you need to re-apply your sunblock a few times. Skip the little travel-sized ones and get a big tube so you can slather it on.

I like to carry wet wipes or similar in my handlebar bag. On tour you end up doing lots of dirty things with your hands and then later eating or drinking. E. coli will end your tour real quick.

After you're done riding for the day, consider going commando so everything can air out. I usually pack a longer skirt for this reason.

Don't worry about your hair. You'll come home with awesome natural highlights.

I never leave home without a bandana or 2. Our recent ride in the high desert of Idaho found several of our riding buddies ripping bandana's in half and tucking the edge under the leg of bike shorts to keep intense sun off the knees. Then the bike hermit was getting burnt on the top of his hands (he doesn't wear gloves) so day 2 found him fashioning sun covers and a hysterical "nose protector".
    I just find I always have a need for my bandana's and now I have to go buy some more
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3302.JPG 
Views:	227 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	14603   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3264.JPG 
Views:	230 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	14604   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3265.JPG 
Views:	233 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	14605  
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com