Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Roads and Paths, Denver and Environs

To disable ads, please log-in.

I posted in the other thread about it, but it's a pretty old thread.

I live in S. Denver, just past DU. I'd love to have other people to ride with, so that I am not always relying on my boyfriend for a cycling companion. I can go mornings, evenings, afternoons, weekends....I'm pretty flexible.

I am also willing to do easy rides, or get a bit more aggressive. I typically do 20-30 miles, and 12-14 mph average, a little higher when I'm not climbing any hills. I'd love to be pushed, but I can also take it easy.

Anyone out there want to ride?
    1984 Raleigh Technium 440 - retired(coffee runs)
    2012 Cannondale Synapse 5 WSD - 365 miles (updated 7.12.2012) - in a holding pattern due to injury.
    My blog: http://bikesbooksblues.wordpress.com/
    Fundraising link for my friend Aimee, after her ped/car accident

Are you interested in riding from Idaho Springs to Georgetown/ Bakerville/Loveland Ski area on Sunday? The DBTC (Denver Bicycle Touring Club) is doing a ride starting at 9 am meeting at MoJo's in Idaho Springs. My SO is leading it. Guests are welcome.

The DBTC has other rides during the week if you're interested.

I'm currently training for a tour in Neb. in 2 weeks but after we come back I'll be available.

I'm near the Stone House off the Bear Creek. Ride the Bear Creek, Platte to Chatfield, sometimes the C-470 loop. Sometimes to Golden, down the Clear Creek to the Platte and back home. 50+ miles. Yesterday I rode to REI downtown and back.

I could use someone to ride with as I don't have a set time to ride and I often get busy with other things and don't get out.

That could work. We want to put in a few miles this weekend. How tough will the ride be? I just looked at the map, about 25 miles round trip, 1000 feet of gain....is that about right? Looks like a few parts get into the 4% range for climbing...which we are new at (never done more than 3%, and that was last weekend)...
    2012 Cannondale Synapse 5 WSD - 365 miles (updated 7.12.2012) - in a holding pattern due to injury.

Chatnoire, are you sure about the grades on the E Rock? That steep hill sure felt like it was over 3%! And what about Chatfield Dam road that you do hill repeats on. It's not for weaklings.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD

its 25 rt miles 1000' climb idaho springs to georgestown visitor center where we will make a stop before continuing on to bakerville so others may opt to turnaround
    my guess is the 4% is just before the easter seals camp bout 3 miles frm georgestown for a few tenths and a short section just prior to flat section along georgestown lake

the neat thing is if its too much you turn around and its all downhill back to idaho springs
    it does get steeper beyond downtown georgestown 600' in 2-3 miles to silverplume hence the reason for the loop railroad and then on to bakerville but whenever u feel too tired to continue u can turnaround with a downhill back to car a great way to try a more challengng grade
    Last edited by Kathi; 06-07-2012 at 07:41 PM.

Maybe they are higher....I think the length of the Chatfield hills aren't measurable as a "classed" hill according to map my ride, due to the short-distance. But MMR also said that Erock was only rated 5 and 4 on the hills.

Heck, if those were higher, then sure, I'm all for mountain climbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathi View Post
    its 25 rt miles 1000' climb idaho springs to georgestown visitor center where we will make a stop before continuing on to bakerville so others may opt to turnaround
    my guess is the 4% is just before the easter seals camp bout 3 miles frm georgestown for a few tenths and a short section just prior to flat section along georgestown lake

the neat thing is if its too much you turn around and its all downtown back to idaho springs
    it does get steeper beyond downtown georgestown 600' in 2-3 miles to silverplume hence the reason for the loop railroad and then on to bakerville but whenever u feel too tired to continue u can turnaround with a downhill back to car a great way to try a more challengng grade
    I am checking with the boyfriend - if he's not up for it, it may be just me, but I think it would be fun!

Correction, meeting place is BoJo's in Idaho Springs.

If you've not ridden this ride you really should come. It's a favorite, beautiful scenery and if you drive I-70 you've looked at much of the route without realizing it.

Temporary hijack: Kathy, I heard that lots of homes near Bear Creek were flooded in Wednesday night's storm. Hope yours wasn't one of them.

Back to the topic: What's the group's average speed on this ride? The mountain bike trails might still be too muddy to ride this weekend so I may do a road ride. This one sounds intriguing but I'm kinda slow - average 13-14mph on flats and sometimes down to 4mph on hills that Chat thinks were no steeper than 3%
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB

(I was down to 4.5 on that big one myself!)

We were fine, we're up on the hill above the Bear Creek. It was a little scary as I've never heard the emergency sirens going off in the almost 8 years I've lived here.

The group speed will vary depending on who shows up. Riders tend to fall into 2 groups. Some of the riders ride all year round so they will take off. One woman said she is coming but she will be slow, whatever that means. I ski in the winter and I'm still building my base so I will be slower. My average speed on the flats is around 13 (hard to tell with all the wind I've been riding in) and on my climb up Garrison its around 5 mph depending on how tired I am. I also have asthma so I will warm up more slowly and since I'm training for a tour my focus is time on the bike rather than speed. You may outride me. I will ride my pace and not worry about keeping up with the other riders.

Once you're out of Idaho Springs there are no turns so you can't get lost.
    We tend to look out for newbies and slower riders, especially anyone unfamiliar with the route. Some will turn around at Georgetown. I want to try the new trail up to Loveland ski area.

This nice thing about a group ride like this is you will be familiar enough you can do it on your own the next time.

Sounds like a great time. We'll both be there, possibly with a couple other friends as well.

We were planning on mtn biking all weekend but this ride sounds awesome. I'm especially tempted since it sounds like I could mostly hang with at least a few other riders. (I'd probably still lag behind on the hills but I wouldn't mind if no one else minds.) I'll talk with hubby and maybe we'll join you guys.

Thanks for posting about this Kathi. And glad to hear that your house wasn't in the flood area.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB

This is one of those rides that everyone in the club says is a "must do" sorta like Lookout mountain which I have yet to do.

Helmets are required, (for club insurance regulation and coverage) and you have to sign a liabilty release.

Some people stop at MoJo's for lunch. I'll carry a sandwich because I will get hungry before then.

Hope to see both of you there.