Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Bummer....I can't make it. And as for Lookout Mtn..it is a fun climb...if climbs can be considered fun. I have not ridden it in a few years though due to my losing my riding partner and DH has no interest in it. Hope you guys have fun!!

I'm out. Hubby has a late gig the night before and was hoping to do a late morning ride with me closer to home. Have a great time everyone!
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD

How did the ride go everyone?? Would love to read a TR and see some pics.

Not yet, the ride is tomorrow but thanks for reminding me to take my camera.

Anyone doing the Betty Bash mtn bike race in Bear Creek park tomorrow? I'd ride over if I weren't going to Idaho Springs.

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    I'm out. Hubby has a late gig the night before and was hoping to do a late morning ride with me closer to home. Have a great time everyone!
    Sorry you can't make it, I thought we might have a TE group. Sounds like there will be some slower riders.

I'm sure there will be other opportunities and I know later this summer we will do a group ride in Summit County either around Heeney Lake or in the Dillon/Breckenridge area.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathi View Post
    Anyone doing the Betty Bash mtn bike race in Bear Creek park tomorrow? I'd ride over if I weren't going to Idaho Springs.
    Not me. I'm normally competitive but the only person that I'll mtn bike race against is myself.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB

Looks like we're a late bail on this one too. Boyfriend wants to sleep in after a stressful week at work. We might look to do the same route later in the morning though....
    1984 Raleigh Technium 440 - retired(coffee runs)
    2012 Cannondale Synapse 5 WSD - 365 miles (updated 7.12.2012) - in a holding pattern due to injury.
    My blog: http://bikesbooksblues.wordpress.com/
    Fundraising link for my friend Aimee, after her ped/car accident

We had approximately 20 riders show up. It was nice and cool when we took off. We split off into 2 groups faster/slower, and me. I didn't try to keep up with the fast group but out rode the slow group.

The ride from Idaho Springs to Downieville was wonderful. We had a tail wind that made the climb very easy, and great views of the Clear Creek. No traffic and a few fishermen. It's hard to believe I-70 is on the other side of the Creek.

Getting closer to Georgetown the wind really picked up. Not unusual for that area but when I got close to the lake the wind gusts were up to 30 mph. Several times I thought I was going off the road. I finally got off and walked my bike, I was hoping to make it to the Georgetown visitor center where we had agreed to regroup. A rider came up to me and asked me if I was Ok. I explained I was fine but couldn't stay on my bike due to the wind. Shortly after that the slower riders from the group caught me and I told them I was turning back.

Once I got a little lower down the road the winds died somewhat but there were places I had to pedal downhill. When I got to Idaho Springs I rode the trail to nowhere that I see from I-70. When I got to the end I stopped and ate my pnut butter sandwich. The wind wasn't much calmer there. The group was coming back down, noone made it to Loveland ski area due to the wind.
    I had the bright idea to ride up and meet them but after 2 miles I gave up because the nice tailwind of the morning had become a nasty crosswind.

It was a nice day but you guys were probably smart by bailing. I did meet my goal of getting my second 100+ mile week in a row and 500 miles of riding for the year.
    Last edited by Kathi; 06-10-2012 at 05:07 PM.

It was darn windy where DH and I went hiking today..can't imagine trying to stay upright on a bike in those winds.

Yeah, it definitely sounds like that ride was beyond me. I think that we may be about the same size.

Hubby and I did a mtn bike ride that was windy but manageable.

Wow! 100+ miles two weeks in a row! That sounds pretty impressive to someone who usually tracks her mtn rides by the hour rather than by the mile.

How long will your Nebraska tour last and what kind of daily mileage are you looking at?
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB

We ended up in the SW area of denver (denver/littleton/morrison), and did a 32 mile loop, later in the day (between 1 and 4), and we had some good headwinds, but not much in the way of crosswinds.

It sounds like it was a good ride on a good day, but yeah - I think I'd have trouble with those crosswinds!

Hurray for your mileage goals though! That's awesome. I have yet to pull in a 100+ week. I just cross the 200 mile mark on my bike, which I rode the first time may 13, so I have been doing ok...not great.

Glad everyone had a good weekend as it was. I posted a pic of part of today's ride in the weekend rides thread, to show the haze we could see from the fires up north.
    1984 Raleigh Technium 440 - retired(coffee runs)
    2012 Cannondale Synapse 5 WSD - 365 miles (updated 7.12.2012) - in a holding pattern due to injury.
    My blog: http://bikesbooksblues.wordpress.com/
    Fundraising link for my friend Aimee, after her ped/car accident

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    Yeah, it definitely sounds like that ride was beyond me. I think that we may be about the same size.

Hubby and I did a mtn bike ride that was windy but manageable.

Wow! 100+ miles two weeks in a row! That sounds pretty impressive to someone who usually tracks her mtn rides by the hour rather than by the mile.

How long will your Nebraska tour last and what kind of daily mileage are you looking at?
    5 days, 305 miles if we do the optional route on Sat. My riding started a little slow this year so I might be pushing myself on this tour, we'll see. I'm hoping to do a 50 miler this week then relax with shorter rides the rest of the week.

One nice thing about training at elevation is you ride stronger when you go to a lower elevation.