Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What Road Tires Do You Suggest?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi All,

I want to buy some new tires. I'm currently riding with very old Bontrager Hard Case Race Lite 700x23. What tires do you suggest? I want cheap but not too cheap. I'm doing 20-30 miles rides now but still very slow.

Also- I'd like to get a white/black tire or even blue/black combo. Any experience with these looking super nasty after getting dirty quickly or is it okay to do? My bike looks pretty beat up and I'm looking for cheap ways to make it nicer looking....thought adding some color in the tires couldn't hurt.

I personally worry about avoiding flats more than anything. I like the Continental Gatorskins for that.

Currently I'm still using the tires that came the bike that I bought in September 2010. They're Bontrager Race Lites and I've been very happy with them.

Once I wear out the tires I currently have, which are 700x23, I plan to switch to 700x25, since everything I read about tires indicates that wider tires are more comfortable and also a bit faster. If 700x28 fits on your bike, it would be even better.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    I personally worry about avoiding flats more than anything. I like the Continental Gatorskins for that.

Currently I'm still using the tires that came the bike that I bought in September 2010. They're Bontrager Race Lites and I've been very happy with them.

Once I wear out the tires I currently have, which are 700x23, I plan to switch to 700x25, since everything I read about tires indicates that wider tires are more comfortable and also a bit faster. If 700x28 fits on your bike, it would be even better.
    I can understand the more comfort part, but I don't understand how a 700x25 cc can make you faster than a 700x23 cc since there is more friction contact with the road .

I have All Condition Armadillo tires (which do come in blue/black) with the slightly more expensive, lighter tubes. These tires are supposed to last around 2500-3000miles, but my friends' tires popped a tube at 2400 miles. The Armadillo tires are heavier than the tires that I originally had, but I don't want to worry much about flats/changing tubes.

2012 Specialized Amira Elite, upgraded carbon handle bars, Jett saddle 143mm switched to 145mm 2012 Selle Italia Max SLR Gel Flow saddle

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle

Quote Originally Posted by TigerMom View Post
    I can understand the more comfort part, but I don't understand how a 700x25 cc can make you faster than a 700x23 cc since there is more friction contact with the road .
    Well my eyes glaze over when I try to read about tires, but there are a number of articles out there about it. Here are two:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/...rethren_209268

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/...-faster_209888

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I have had good luck with Vittoria Rubino Pro tires. I have only used black on black though, so I can't speak to your other question.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

3 cross country rides and a lot of miles in between on Bontrager race liotes with kevlar and never a flat. I don't plan to change tire brands anytime soon. 3 sets of tires in 40,000 miles over 5 years is enough proof for me. Nor were they entirely worn out, I just routinely put a new set of tires on before a cross country ride. I also check my tires after every ride for nicks cuts and stuff stuck into them. I am a great believer in the "an ounce of prevention= a pound of cure" approach.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

I loved the Conti 4000s, also. DH went and bought some other ones for my Kuota, though... so far, so good. I have had hardly any flats in 11 years, most of them being last year on my tour, when the roads in NY state were just full of glass.
    I have the Gatorskins on my Guru. I hope I never get a flat, as I've heard they are awful to take off.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I hear good things about the Continental GP 4000 and Gatorskins--I'm planning on getting either of those when my current set wear out. I prefer the ride of 25s to 23s. As for speed, I'll make me faster to a greater extent than my tires will.

Never done anything other than solid black tires, so I can't answer your other questions.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

On the advice of my lbs, I have Gatorskins. Can't say I know any different, since these are the only tires I've used, but I've put about 600 miles on my bike so far, and I've had zero problems.
    2013 Kirk Frameworks JK Special/Selle Anatomica
    2012 Gunnar Sport/Brooks B17
    2001 Calfee Tetra Pro/Selle Anatomica
    1984 Raleigh Sport/Brooks B66

Like some of the folks above, I recommend the Continental GP 4000S. I've got about 1400 miles on my current set. These tires have endured riding on gravel and broken glass without ever flatting. Aside from that, they are sweet riding - smooth, comfy, and they handle curves beautifully (i.e., they feel very secure when the bike is heeled over).
    JEAN

2011 Specialized Ruby Elite - carbon fiber go-fast bike
    DiamondBack Expert - steel road bike
    Klein Pinnacle - classic no-suspension aluminum MTB

I love my GP4000s as well, but the OP wanted cheap....

They do last a very long time (I typically get 2500 miles out of a rear and nearly 4000 from a front), but even so, I'm not sure they're all that economical a choice. But they do handle beautifully and stick like glue.

FWIW, my blue ones clean up fine, for those who are obsessive enough to wash their tires.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

We were riding the Specialized tires that came on our Ruby/Roubioux. One bike with white trim, other red trim. Very cool, I guess. I actually thought they were a little showy, but when I get riding, it is the last thing I think about! That's just me though. And yeah, they got a bit dirty, but not bad. Never washed them. It kinda made the bright white fade to be a little less showy!

We were getting tired of the occasional flats. LBS recommended the Armadillos in 25s. Headbang! We each had a set of Bontrager Race Lite Hard Case 25s on our Trek FXs that aren't getting ridden. Only used one season when we upgraded to road bikes. The lbs guys (Specialized store) said the Bontrager's are also very good tires, just use them.

Those lbs boys road race and also said the 25s are not only more comfortable, but a bit faster. I know it doesn't make sense, but I figure they should know!

Don't know if I'm very slightly faster because of the tires (they didn't slow me down any for sure) or if the engine is slightly improving I did feel a bit more stable first time out on a neighborhood hill. Always felt like I needed to hold back a bit before. Now I let her go full speed.

By the way, the original Race Lite 32s that went back on the FXs were way slower than the 25s. My science/engineering background is nonexistent so don't understand why 25s should be faster than 23s and way faster than 32s. Some things we just don't need to understand. Lots of other stuff my poor brain has to worry about!

Oh, and so far no more flats (knock wood). Only one flat between us the last 5 to 6 years with the Race Lites. I picked up a huge roofing nail in the 32s several years ago.
    2011 Specialized Ruby Comp
    2015 Giant Liv Tempt 3

Conti GP4000 here too. Love these, handle so well on the fine sand patches where I ride. Just a few hundred miles but so far so good with the various thorns and debris on the roads.

I know you said cheap but the price is so worth it to not have to fix flats and just have better handling.

I also just recently heard from one of the bike company salesman that they will begin putting 25's on their road bikes including race bikes in 2013's. Reason, smoother/faster and they way the corner turns. I didn't fully understand it, just passing on what I heard.

All my tires have been Specialized and we always use Mr. Tuffy's regardless. I change tires once a year or 3000 miles when the treading is worn.
    2012 Specialized Amira S-Works
    2012 Vita Elite
    2011 Specialized Dolce Elite (raffle prize) - Riva Road 155
    Ralaigh Tara Mtn Bike

I had a pair of Gatorskin Hardshell tires 700/23 and they lasted 4700 miles without a flat. My LBS finally said the side walls were ready to go and I needed new tires. They recommended replacing them with 700/25 for better handling on roads with potholes and bad pavement. Since I don't want to change flats on the road, I love these tires. Even though they cost more, they last twice as long and no money is spent on tubes. So, saving money on inexpensive tires might actually cost more.
    2007 Ruby Comp/Specialized Dolce
    2004 Bike Friday Crusoe/Specialized Dolce