Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Cherohala Challenge

To disable ads, please log-in.

Thinking about doing this one in Tellico Plains, TN. Don't know that I'm ready for it, but every year it keeps calling my name. Just doing the 62 miles with 5000 ft. of climbing.

http://www.active.com/cycling/telico...challenge-2012

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Giant Avail Advanced 2

Do it! I have friends who've done the long route, and they had a lot of fun. It was brutal, but fun.

In years past, I've done the weeklong Bicycle Ride Across Tennessee. In fact, the last time I did it, I was more or less in your neck of the woods. I almost have DH talked into it for next year or the year after next. You should consider that if you can; it's a lot of fun. I love riding in Tennessee.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by BikeHN View Post
    Thinking about doing this one in Tellico Plains, TN. Don't know that I'm ready for it, but every year it keeps calling my name. Just doing the 62 miles with 5000 ft. of climbing.

http://www.active.com/cycling/telico...challenge-2012
    Ohhhh, another ride near home...do it and let us know how it goes. Perhaps next year I will get to come home and participate in one of the lovely rides there

Well. I did it. It was really rough. The first tough climb came at about mile 5 of the Cherohala Skyway. When I hit that climb I thought, if it is like this the whole time then I just don't know. After that climb it kinda went down and flattened out a tad before going back up to a reasonable grade. Made it to the first rest stop 15 miles in. Good thing I didn't ask the people at the rest stop if the remainder of the ride got worse or was comparable to the first 15 miles, b/c it was much worse! Ignorance is bliss. I wouldn't have kept going had I known what I know now. Ha. But...I made it friends. It took me 3 1/2 hrs to ascend and about 1 hr. 20 min. to get back down. I looked down and was climbing at about 5 mph on some of the steep parts, but I just kept the pedals going. I'm happy I did it but I don't know that I would ever do that one again. Part of my suffering has to do with the fact that I haven't done over 31 miles this year prior to this. Beautiful ride though. I'll try to post some pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0589.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	14633   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0590.jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	14634   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0593.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	14635   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0592.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	14636  
    Last edited by BikeHN; 06-18-2012 at 04:31 AM.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Giant Avail Advanced 2

Congrats on finishing a tough ride! I can't believe it did that with just 31 mile rides under your belt! You're one tough cookie. What awesome pictures, too. How hot was it? I've heard from friends that the Skyway mid-day in the summer can be brutal.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

It wasn't too hot, the high for the day was around 85 but it wasn't that hot when we started obviously. Actually, it was quite cool at the top. I could've used some arm warmers up there. By the time I got back down it was really starting to heat up. I wouldn't have wanted to do it if it were any later in the day at all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Giant Avail Advanced 2

That's good. My friends who complained about the heat on the Skyway (and this was a few years ago) did the 116 mile route (or whatever it is), so I imagine they were out in the full heat of the day. Yuck.

--Mary Anne Radmacher