Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Beach Babe Cycling Classic?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm going to be at a conference in LA for a few days in July, and it happens to coincide with the Beach Babe Cycling Classic. Anyone done this ride before? I'm considering it because I bet that the views are amazing, given that the route runs right along the ocean, but don't know anyone who has done this. I'm a newbie, and this sounds like a sort of chill ride to me.

http://beachbabecycling.com/

Also, I'd need to rent a bike. Any suggestions for reliable bike rentals (for a womens road bike) in the Long Beach area?

I'd love to find someone to ride with (slowly ) if there are others going...

Beach Babe Cycling

I live in the area and know the route well. It is largely very flat with a few very minor hills which is well suited for newbies and those just wanting a pretty ride. Riding along PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) is great and yes it is scenic. The traffic is a bit of a pain, but the shoulders are wide. As to rentals, check on the web at: http://www.superpages.com/yellowpage.../T-Long+Beach/. I live in Huntington Beach, so I am not too familiar with the bike shops in Long Beach.

Jax and Rock N Road Cyclery both rent high end bikes (I don't know how close their shop is to you /Long Beach). There are tons of places on the beach that rent beach cruisers.

Call in advance to make sure that they have your size bike in stock at the store you want. Then call the day before to make sure that your rental bike is physically in the store.

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle

Thanks, both of you, for the info. I'm still thinking about it, and appreciate the rental suggestions!

Well, I had a great ride at the BBC last Sunday. Unfortunately, when I called the day before to make sure that the shop had the road bike that I'd reserved in advance... they had forgotten and rented the bike to another rider. I ended up with an enormous beach cruiser from Bike Nation for two reasons: no bikes in my size that were within close enough proximity to the ride (BN brought a bunch of bikes to the starting line) and it was 3pm on Saturday when I called to say that I was enroute to pick up the rental bike. No chance to really make too many other plans, and I felt lucky that BN would have bikes there.

So, 32 miles on a beach cruiser that was definitely too big for me... at least my butt didn't hurt afterwards! My arms and shoulders were sore from trying to control the bike, but it was minor. What a beautiful ride! It seemed to be well-organized, everyone was very friendly, and my fear about accidentally taking out a group of other riders was unfounded. This was my first organized ride and it was a good experience that has led me to look for other rides and races closer to home!

I'm glad that you enjoyed yourself! At least, you called the day before the ride and didn't show up bikeless on the day of the ride.

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle