Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

handle-bar stem height vs. position/ mtn bike

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi All,

I just got my first mtn bike, a Specialized Jett which I really like overall. It came with a pretty short stem to the handle bars. I realize that a less upright position is more the norm for mountain biking, but I don't like to be too hunched over. Like even driving my car, I'm the person who has the chair adjusted so my back is straight as a board, I feel I think better and feel better if I am not too slouched over. So I did change out the stem right away to raise the handle bars in relation to the seat, by maybe a half inch, and it's still feeling like my arms are almost straight as boards reaching for the handle bars... the arms can have a little bend in the elbows now so it is a bit better from the original stem. The handle bars are basically a horizontal bar that goes straight across, the hand grips don't turn towards the rider but are just the continued sides of this horizontal bar. I find them reachable but not super easily reachable without the more crouched racing position.

My new replacement stem says 5Nm, my bf's new Cobia came with a 5.2 nm stock stem. Do you think I should go up in stem size just a little more? I am not looking to be a racer girl, just want to poke along the trails out in the boonies where I live. What are the advantages to a more crouched racing position on mountain trails and am I doing my self a dis-service by raising the handlebars more? On the other hand, maybe I could get new handle bars where the grips are more within reach? Maybe it's more the design of the handlebars that I should address? Again, I just don't like having to be hunched forward with my arms straight as boards to reach the hand grips.

Any advice appreciated, I'm brand new to mountain biking and these new-fangled bikes lol.

It sounds like a riser bar would be the next logical step for you, but you may be better off getting a fitting before you do anything. Does the shop where you got the bike offer that service? If not, check any of your other local shops. It'll cost you, but it's money well spent IMO.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Sorry but what is a riser bar? I did get fitted to the bike but it's all really young guys who I'm sure like to race fast on their bikes. He seemed slightly disapproving that I wanted to get a slightly taller stem which barely made any difference at all to be honest. I'm forty something and just want to get some exercise, don't care about going fast.

Bar height on a mountain bike is more about bike handling than speed. Bars that are too low with a long reach make descending more difficult. Bars that are too high and close make it easier for the front wheel to come off the ground while climbing.

If you have space to "slouch" the bars are probably already too close but without seeing a picture, who knows? I know a ton of young male racers that can provide good fit/position advice to a woman on a mtb. He was probably concerned about bike handling more than anything.
    Last edited by SadieKate; 06-11-2012 at 12:41 PM.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by countrygirl View Post
    Sorry but what is a riser bar? .
    Try asking The Google for a riser mtb bar and a flat mtb bar so you can see pictures.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Ok riser bar is more what I was imagining re: the hand grips being more in reach. Looks like the bile came w a flat bar. Yeah the guys at my local shop are really great, I'm sure the guy's fit advice did have to do with handling, still just trying to find the balance between the one guy's advice vs personal comfort level. Riser bar could maybe solve the problem w/o raising height of handle bars even more, or creating too upright position.... perhaps...