Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho

To disable ads, please log-in.

Glad it's so-far-so-good for you! I've used mine up into the low 90s. I tell myself that being a little warm is better than skin cancer. I love visors, but--to me--it's not worth it these days to be out in the sun for a long time with my scalp exposed!

Wow! Lots of emotion about hats!

GLC, you guys are adorable.

My boyfriend wears a hat on occasion, but usually when he hasn't done his hair. (Yes. He does his hair. He has product.) I don't wear hats casually, but I do have a few "fashionable" hats for the winter, and a straw hat I actually bought at a post-ride festival to protect my face from the sun. If you can tell in my pic - I am as white as the snow. I think about the sun, and I burn. So sun protection is pretty crucial to me.

However, I am not a runner, so cannot contribute to the actual topic at hand, so my apologies for any possible thread drift I may be contributing to. *bows out*
    1984 Raleigh Technium 440 - retired(coffee runs)
    2012 Cannondale Synapse 5 WSD - 365 miles (updated 7.12.2012) - in a holding pattern due to injury.
    My blog: http://bikesbooksblues.wordpress.com/
    Fundraising link for my friend Aimee, after her ped/car accident

I have a cap which I bought several years ago that I LOVE. Seems like I bought it from either TE or Athleta but neither carries it anymore - ? The tag says Illuminite, and I found it on their website:

http://illuminite.com/women/primo-lid

It stays on in the wind - I've worn it in 30 mph + wind, it's well vented, and it has some reflective insets on the sides (although I don't think the reflectors work well at all - ). And it comes clean in the wash.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I have a small, very small head. I also detest wearing hats (make my head hurt, hat hair, sweat), but I bought a long visored Nike cap at the LRS and it fits me perfectly. The visor is so long, I feel like I am wearing an awning. It's very light weight, but not really vented.
    I understand wearing a hat while running, but why do I see women around town, wearing these caps as they are out and about? And, they're always getting into an Escalade .
    Don't get me started on men who wear hats as a fashion accessory.
    I am one of those women. Except for the Escalade. I almost always wear a hat with a bill. I really dislike sunshine on my face and the bill shades my face. I have maybe 20 different hats to chose from which I pick up here and there. I wear a hat all the time when outside.

My husband is one of those men. He is never without a baseball hat. Even sometimes in the house.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Quote Originally Posted by Deborajen View Post
    I have a cap which I bought several years ago that I LOVE. Seems like I bought it from either TE or Athleta but neither carries it anymore - ? The tag says Illuminite, and I found it on their website:

http://illuminite.com/women/primo-lid

It stays on in the wind - I've worn it in 30 mph + wind, it's well vented, and it has some reflective insets on the sides (although I don't think the reflectors work well at all - ). And it comes clean in the wash.
    That looks really similar to my Athleta cap, except mine isn't reflective (and it doesn't stay on in the wind...). Is the adjuster in the back webbing and buckle?

One thing, I get terrible hat hair. Really, I look horrible, and I'm not one who's super concerned about my appearance, either. If I've been outside wearing a hat for any reason, then I'm stuck wearing a hat wherever I go until I can wash my hair. I might swap a wide-brimmed outdoor hat for a sportier cap, and then there I am in the casual dining restaurant with a sporty cap on, dressed in normal walking around clothes. And getting back into my Prius.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

My cap has a plastic zipper on the back with a push-button piece that slides across the teeth.

I ended up buying a brimmed outdoor hat yesterday. Definitely not for running, but I've been wanting to shade my ears and sides of my face more since I burn there - and I'm starting to get age spots. I use lots of sunblock but figure shading the most sensitive areas is better.

I've always been told that you should take your hat off in restaurants but I read a Miss Manners article that says hats off in the nicer sit-down places, but it's o.k. to leave it on in a fast-food type restaurant. But I don't go into the nicer sit-down places when I'm hot and sweaty. I go home to clean up first. Then the hat stays home.

It was funny, though, a few years ago my son and I were out on a ride and we stopped at a burger joint where a bunch of teenage girls worked. We went inside and I took off my helmet. The girls all smiled when they first saw me but when I took off my helmet, they looked absolutely mortified. You'd think I had green snakes crawling out of my hair! There was a mirror on one of the walls - my hair didn't look THAT bad -- Actually, it didn't look like "helmet hair" at all. Maybe they were just expecting the worst - it sure got me tickled, though!

I figured out another reason why I dislike hats.
    When my face/head is covered by a hat (this includes helmets, too), all you see are my laugh lines. They are bad and I am very self conscious about them. Sure, I'm vain.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Maybe not, Murienn, but I really do shy away from photos because of this.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    One thing, I get terrible hat hair. Really, I look horrible, and I'm not one who's super concerned about my appearance, either. If I've been outside wearing a hat for any reason, then I'm stuck wearing a hat wherever I go until I can wash my hair.
    This is true for me, too. Its even worse now that my hair is short. I tend to wear a lot of hats on the weekend because it's faster than a shower. I'm in a big brim hat out on the farm, a baseball hat when we run errands and then a plain black or white hat if I have to look slightly more presentable but don't have time to shower/wet my hair.

What I really wish is that I could have long hair/pony tail for my weekend life and short, spiky, styled hair for my work week. Anyone know of a way that would be possible besides using a wig?

For running, I have to wear white. My head gets way too hot in the sun in anything darker. I've got two styles of white Nike running hats that I use. This is the one I bought at a local sporting goods store. It would be good for someone with a small head (its a tad too small for me - ie not deep enough):
    http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=sh...84/pgid-644304

This is the one I LOVE, purchased at the Nike employee store.
    http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=sh...54/pgid-159855
    Cool, well-fitted with slight stretch, comfortable, but does not fly off in a wind (which happens to me a lot because I have a big head and thick hair so hats tend to not fit me well). The brim sheds water nicely when it's raining, too.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

My husband usually wears a hat outside, but never indoors. It's how he was raised.

I sorta dated this guy once, he had long scraggly hair and often wore a ball cap. We were going to a classical music concert and he shows up wearing old jeans, scruffy untucked shirt, and the disreputable hat. Grunge was in style, but still...the two of us never really connected. A year or so later he was dating someone else. I saw him at a similar event and he was without hat, with short hair, and looked showered. Clearly I was never the woman for him!

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    That looks really similar to my Athleta cap, except mine isn't reflective (and it doesn't stay on in the wind...). Is the adjuster in the back webbing and buckle?

One thing, I get terrible hat hair. Really, I look horrible, and I'm not one who's super concerned about my appearance, either. If I've been outside wearing a hat for any reason, then I'm stuck wearing a hat wherever I go until I can wash my hair. I might swap a wide-brimmed outdoor hat for a sportier cap, and then there I am in the casual dining restaurant with a sporty cap on, dressed in normal walking around clothes. And getting back into my Prius.
    You and me both, sister. I have baby hair and the minute anything goes on top, that is it for the day.

Does anyone here prefer wide brimmed/full circle hats, as opposed to just the kind with a front visor? The front visor doesn't protect the cheeks or even the "crows feet" area... I mean for under a helmet, too.
    Last edited by skywalkerbeth; 06-18-2012 at 03:45 AM.

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    Like you, I have a small head. I have a Nike hat that seems to run smaller (and shorter, from ears to crown) than others I've tried.

ETA: I think it's this one: http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpage-NWFLH.html.
    I have that same hat, but in blue. Definitely a good fit for smaller heads...I look ridiculous in most hats but can get away with that type.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830