Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question Getting comfortable with road bike handlebars

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have new road bike. So far I've ridden it less then 50 miles. (I have to work very slowy to get my "oomph" due a bad accident on my hyrbrid April 14)

How do I get comfortable enough to use the rams? (I think that is what the curved part of the bars are called.) I am very apprehensive about moving my hands to them. I don't want to fall. Can anyone advise or give me some hints?

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=47684

I think this newly created post address that issue. I'm sorry if I have my facts wrong. i don't have a road bike, but I think that is what they are talking about in this thread.
    2013: Riding a Dolce sport compact for fun and a vintage Jetter with cargo rack for commuting

www.bike-sby.org: A network of concerned cyclists working to make our city more bicycle friendly.

Thank you, It helped. I just wish there were more tricks!

Don't be in a big hurry to learn to ride in the drops. I only remember to use them if its real windy or I've been on my bike for a while and need to stretch.

You'll get there at some point. Lots to learn and get comfortable with. Take your time and enjoy the ride!

Congrats on the new bike and sorry about the crash
    2011 Specialized Ruby Comp
    2015 Giant Liv Tempt 3

Congratulations on the new bike. I'm also glad to hear you're riding again. I ride mostly on the hoods in the city even though I like riding on drops. I do that more when I'm doing longer rides out of town when I can go faster and don't have to dodge cars or pedestrians. This is probably stating the obvious but I thought I'd mention it anyway, I take my time when I'm moving from hoods to drops and back. There's no rush. Move one hand at a time until you've got a confortable position and do that in reverse when moving back up the bar. That way you've got one hand holding the bar stable all the time. Enjy your new bike!