Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fire truck

Fire truck

To disable ads, please log-in.

Did an organized ride yesterday in a somewhat rural area. It started and ended on a flat road with one lane in each direction, no shoulder and a 50 mph speed limit. This was in Maryland where there is a 3-foot passing law.

As I neared the finish I was in the big chain ring, decided to shift to the small ring (don't remember why) and could tell by the rattling sound of the chain that the shift wasn't complete. I could hear a big truck behind me waiting for a chance to pass. I was worried that the chain would fall off if I tried shifting back up to the big ring to try to fix the problem.

Usually when a vehicle is moving slowly behind me, it means the driver is waiting for a safe opportunity to cross the yellow line to pass, and sometimes I will move closer to edge of the road to make it easier for them. Since I had a chain problem to deal with, I wanted the truck to no longer be behind me. So I moved to the right. And the truck driver sped up and passed me -- without crossing the yellow line, very close to me, with maybe a foot clearance at the most.

I freaked out and started screaming, not that the driver could hear me. Looked up and saw that it was a fire truck. A g*d d*mn fire truck!!!

I'm still completely stunned by this. Aside from the total disregard for the 3-foot law, that driver was one of the people who respond when someone gets run over by a truck. One of the people who sees the damage first hand.

Anyway I had already decided I won't be doing that ride again. Too many high speed roads.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I guess stupidity doesn't take a break from those who are in life saving professions. A paramedic/EMT/fire dept. SUV from the town of Acton turned left in front of me and Hirakukibou while we were riding Friday. It wasn't super close, but I could see him hesitating and then decide to go for it... I actually braked a little.
    He was turning into a cemetery, and really have no idea why the paramedics would be going there. Probably for his lunch break.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    He was turning into a cemetery, and really have no idea why the paramedics would be going there. Probably for his lunch break.
    1) Or to pay respects to a fallen camrade or family member.

2) because live people also visit cemetaries and then have medical problems.
    Beth

He wasn't attending to a medical emergency. His siren wasn't on, no flashing lights. I would have, of course, stopped if it had been an emergency. He was just driving down the road and turned left, like any other regular driver. While he may have been going there to pay respects, I really doubt it. It was lunch time and it's a popular place to picnic and walk. I think what bothered me the most was that I could tell by the way he hesitated and then gunned it, that he did "think" about it and he made a bad decision. Like many other drivers, he didn't realize how fast we we can go, which is why I braked.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Not all firefighters are such virtuous people, they use their huge fire trucks to go somewhere for their lunch breaks. Saw it all the time in Toronto (for their peameal bacon sandwiches at the market) and Vancouver. They were on their break.....and it's timed for unionized paid career firefigher staff. Make no mistake, their buddies on shift back at the fire station to cover for real emergencies.

It's still a macho world with the few women still trying to break into that world.

Anyway, that firefighter should have never driven so close to you ny rider.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I am sorry this happened to you. I am in Maryland too and two Fridays ago almost got pushed off my bike by a van who didn't give me clearance. I was approaching a railroad track and he actually went around me then came back right in my space. Oh, I had nowhere to go because there was a stop sign on my right.

I often want a huge pop up billboard that say "THREE FEET, NOT THREE INCHES!" I think this is the most inconsiderate driving trait. You don't even have to know the law, just give other humans basic respect and room. It really is frightening.
    2013: Riding a Dolce sport compact for fun and a vintage Jetter with cargo rack for commuting

www.bike-sby.org: A network of concerned cyclists working to make our city more bicycle friendly.

NY Biker, a fire truck did something similar to me a while back. I was so stunned and that it was from our local station just a half mile up the road. After that I checked out the drivers everytime they passed by. I noticed the younger drivers were not as cautious as the older appearing drivers. Nothing scientific here, just observation. It's gotten better since then. But I did realize that should this happen again, I will note the time, place, direction, truck number and notify whoever is in charge over there. I thought, of all the people to cause an accident with bicyclist because they didn't drive safely, that would be quite the black eye to them.

In fairness to our fire dept., they have gotten better about it. I'm not sure why but I'm glad they are doing it. This area is heavily used by cyclists, especially on the the weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    Not all firefighters are such virtuous people, they use their huge fire trucks to go somewhere for their lunch breaks. Saw it all the time in Toronto (for their peameal bacon sandwiches at the market) and Vancouver. They were on their break.....and it's timed for unionized paid career firefigher staff. Make no mistake, their buddies on shift back at the fire station to cover for real emergencies.
    Shootingstar, are you sure they took the truck to go on break, leaving their buddies back at the house? When I see firefighters at the grocery store with the truck, it means the whole company is there; they bring the truck in case they get a call. They are required to do it that way. I've seen them abandon their groceries and race out the door many times.

Nybiker, that sounds scary. I wonder sometimes if drivers of emergency vehicles get in the habit of taking chances.
    Last edited by PamNY; 06-05-2012 at 06:51 AM.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Well, Pam I've seen 2 firefighters only in a firetruck, stop at the market to get their peameal bacon sandwiches...in Toronto. There was a particular time I would see them during the day. It was my favourite market too where I went often enough.

Yea, it's alot of gasoline/fuel for a non-emergency run.

I worked for govn't provincial agency (9 yrs.) in fire protection/firefighting that set standards on firefighter training, had a good sense of fire department management practices (that is not overly wasteful on taxpayer dollars)..and the culture of firefighters. It's a whole world and culture that members of the public really don't know unless...you are part of the brotherhood.

(Women in direct firefighting duty is still a rarity..even in the 2lst century for the major big city fire depts. I'm not talking about fire prevention training, educating public on fire safety and doing fire safety inspections...that's still seen as "less" status / "tough" in the firefighting world.)

I worked in a library that had resources on firefighter training. Fire/emergency vehicle driving, is a trained skill / course(s) that must be taken. It is not just granted to a person with van/ truck driving experience and license. The agency had people who were ex-firefighters, etc.

Firefighters are like police officers, some great folks and others not so great (or have slid in their career). Like any other profession/occupation.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 06-06-2012 at 05:09 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    Well, Pam I've seen 2 firefighters only in a firetruck, stop at the market to get their peameal bacon sandwiches...in Toronto. There was a particular time I would see them during the day. It was my favourite market too where I went often enough.

Yea, it's a lot of gasoline/fuel for a non-emergency run..
    Fuel would be the least of my worries in that situation. I'd want to know how this practice affected their response time.

I just want to know what the heck is a "peameal bacon sandwich." It sounds disgusting.

OT ... it was in my local paper that somebody got right-hooked this afternoon and firefighters witnessed it. The victim was life-flighted ... I surely hope the firefighters' testimony will mean the driver is going down. But probably not.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 06-06-2012 at 05:50 PM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I just want to know what the heck is a "peameal bacon sandwich." It sounds disgusting.

Oh no no no. Peameal bacon is yummy! I always bring some back when I go visit my family.

http://cdn2.listsoplenty.com/listsop...meal-Bacon.jpg
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

I know you were scared for your life at the moment, but did you see what town the fire truck was from? I would have called the fire dept and let them know what happened!
    Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling. ~ James E.Starrs

My bicycle jewelry...
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Winterwoman...f=pr_shop_more

Grant Petersen was in town a few week's ago promoting his book "just ride" we were talking about the value of "acting a bit strange" while riding your bike. When you hear someone coming up behind you he suggests a not so subtle action on your part that gets the drivers attention - NOW what you choose to do should depend on the traffic, speed, etc. For example, perhaps you wave your left arm in a crazy way, or if they are back far enough and traffic is slow you actually swerve out more into the road. It is quite effective. We have started to practice this on a regular basis - we don't put ourselves in danger but we will throw out our arm or take more of the lane and suddenly the car or truck will move over (how cool is that) So instead of being Ms nice and hugging the right side of the room, take you place and act a bit crazy They will be talking about the crazy chick on the bike but at the same time we may do more to educate drivers about being aware that way.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

I agree with Shootingstar, while it is a noble profession, there are abuses.

I remember reading an article a few years ago about how some New York City firefighters, rushing through traffic with sirens blaring, had hit and killed a pedestrian. Turns out they we on their way across town to pick up a pizza.

I've had my fair share of run-ins with drivers who get annoyed because they have to move over a bit to accommodate cyclists. My favorite expression is "You own a car, not the road"