Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho

Squaw Peak 50, revisited

To disable ads, please log-in.

Many of you know that I did the Squaw Peak 50 mile trail run last year. I finished that day, but with injury (peroneal tendonitis) that required me to walk the last 10+ miles. I was successful in the lottery again this year, and I was determined to make up for last year’s performance.

This year was so much better. I was pretty apprehensive before race day because the forecasted high was in the low 90s. I do not thermoregulate well in the heat and have a lot of anxiety about it. I hydrated like crazy in the days before the event and during the event (but still ended up a little dehydrated). I also really focused on my diet in the week before. I think that helped a lot.

Anyhoo, I finished, and finished well. 41st overall (out of about 300, I think), 3rd woman over the line, and 1st master’s female. I felt pretty good most of the day, the normal ups and downs. The things I did differently this year that I think made a difference:

• Ate more “normal” food – At the aid stations I had small amounts of PBJ sandwich squares and fruit. This went down better than the Honey Stinger chews, Perpetuem tabs, and Lara Bars after about 30 miles. At about 40 miles I had just a small piece of a Lara Bar and I had to spit it out. It was just disgusting to me at that point! I also admit that I had Coke at the aid stations after about mile 30. I had used Coke on a couple of the other hot-day races I did earlier this year. I’m sorry, but this stuff is amazing. I know it’s bad for me, will cause a spike, etc. But it works, period.
    • Carried poles – after last year, I decided to have poles for the last climb, thinking I would use them for the downhill. They actually saved my sorry azz on the very steep uphill (as in about 1400’ climb in 1 ¼ mile). I did use them a little bit on the downhill after that (which was very technical) also but they earned their worth on that uphill. These are superlight poles that collapse to about 14” so they are easy to carry.
    • Used a coach – in the past I’ve successfully trained for and finished long events with no or minimal coaching. I only hired this coach about 5 weeks before the event (I actually hired him to help me with training for TransRockies, which is in August) but I think those 5 weeks of a different kind of focused training and his guidance through my anxiety about the event made a difference at least mentally.

Stats are 51.15 miles, 10,751 feet of climbing, 11 hours 18 minutes, average moving pace of 12:15 and average overall pace (includes stops at aid stations) of 13:15. I am very happy with this result.

I don’t have a lot of photos (I didn’t have a pacer until about mile 44) but here are a few from the last aid station and the finish.

I think I'm going to choose a different 50 next year. This is a good one, but I'd like to find another beautiful place to suffer through.

At the aid station with my hubby and friend:

With my doppelganger (I also had a lime green overshirt on at the beginning); we ran together for about 10 miles:

Happy, dirty, and sweaty, relaxing at the finish:

Getting my trophy!

Wow, yellow! That is so fantastic. Congratulations on a well run race!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Congrats on a remarkable performance! DH did the race again this year, too. The moonrise was gorgeous, but I'm sure you were home by then. :-)

Where did you get your running skirt? I'm in the market and I like the length and pattern of yours.

Woohoo yellow! Congratulations!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Thanks, ladies!

Alex, I looked for you since I figured your hubby probably did the race. We left at about 6:30, I think. I was ready for my easy chair.

The skirt is Running Skirts brand. The one that I am wearing is the Athletic Skirt model, with compression shorts. I love this skirt, possibly the most of all my skirts. Great pockets, comfortable, longer length. My doppelganger is wearing the Running Skirt model. I got mine at the end of the season last year at White Pine up in Park City. I don't know of anyone else locally who carries it, but then I haven't looked. They might have them at Wasatch Running.

Fantastic!!! You look so happy - and you should be!!!

I love the notation of what you think improved your experience. That will be good for you to look back on before your next one.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Congratulations, and you look so happy and relaxed, not tired at all!

You look awesome! I'm so happy that things went better for you this year. Love the skirt too.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Thanks for the skirt info, Yellow. Looks like Wasatch, REI, and Salt Lake Running Company are listed as retailers on the website. I need to do some shopping!

"My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Quote Originally Posted by salsabike View Post
    well, !

mp, good point! In my mind I was trying to summarize what made it different. The other thing that really gained me some time was being able to run the very shallow uphills at a slow but steady pace. I passed oodles of people on these stretches.

Thanks, Catrin & V!

My coach said no running again until Wednesday (tomorrow). So I went for a short bike ride (~ 1 hour) yesterday. The first 10-15 minutes were really tough (just getting the legs moving) but after that I almost felt normal. Kind of spooky!

Awesome! Can't believe your time and that you kept moving for 11+ hours.
    I am exhausted after my 3 hot, humid, hours and just a fraction of the mileage you covered!

You look great!

K
    katluvr