Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by bcipam
    I don't mind periods of time in class where cadence is high but I always spin with resistance. I don't think there is anything to spinning fast with low resistance. I wouldn't ride my bike like that and wonder what physical benefit it is suppose to provide. I have attended classes where the instructor is spinning up above 120 rpms and literally bouncing off the saddle. I agree, the only thing this provides is chafing!

Don't mind drills where the instructor pushes 80 - 90 rpms up to 100 - 120 (always with some resistance) for short periods of time as that stimulates sprinting and can push up the heart rate but shouldn't last more than 30 seconds to a minute. If I need to sprint for more than a minute while riding my bike, well then I screwed up and jumped the gun too soon.

The secret to smoothing out pedal stroke (and I do need to work on this) is long sustained, fast paced (around 90 rpms) rides where you concentrate on a round, smooth stroke. My form tends to break down when I go over 90 rpms.

I always tell the class when we sprint, " no resistance, no results" If you want to define your legs, you have to use resistance.

What I Want From A Spin Class

Being a beginer spinner, but not new to working out, i know exaclty what I want from a class. I want alot of hills, and jumps, and sprints I want to feel my muscles working and feel the burn. I love ahrd classes I love feeling like I can finish and then being so happy when its done. I want ever aspect mixed in, so I feel like I got a well rounded workout. I personally like being out of the saddle, and being challenged by hills. I dont compete or use this as my off season training, I dont ride outside but I want to start getting into it this spring, so for me spinning become my new addiction. Hopefully I have helped you.