Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Why don't you want to do superspins? I find that used in interval training you'll learn high cadence and a smooth pedalling motion. Getting your cadence up over 120 or btter will reveal jerky pedalling pretty quickly. What is it you object to? Just curious.
    Coming back from an extremely frustrating class - the woman had mostly cadences of like 150, and I do not go there to chafe off my anatomy.
    Not a single one could keep up her cadence so it was really stupid. Even she was basically bouncing off her saddle !?!

And besides the occasional "up", "forward" "back down" "harder" "3 minutes of cool-down" she said almost nothing.

We were guessing that she is getting paid for her private training sessions.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate
    Robin, I know nothing at all about spinning classes. I use Spinervals DVDs at home. So, educate me. Why don't you want to do superspins? I find that used in interval training you'll learn high cadence and a smooth pedalling motion. Getting your cadence up over 120 or btter will reveal jerky pedalling pretty quickly. What is it you object to? Just curious.

I don't mind periods of time in class where cadence is high but I always spin with resistance. I don't think there is anything to spinning fast with low resistance. I wouldn't ride my bike like that and wonder what physical benefit it is suppose to provide. I have attended classes where the instructor is spinning up above 120 rpms and literally bouncing off the saddle. I agree, the only thing this provides is chafing!

Don't mind drills where the instructor pushes 80 - 90 rpms up to 100 - 120 (always with some resistance) for short periods of time as that stimulates sprinting and can push up the heart rate but shouldn't last more than 30 seconds to a minute. If I need to sprint for more than a minute while riding my bike, well then I screwed up and jumped the gun too soon.

The secret to smoothing out pedal stroke (and I do need to work on this) is long sustained, fast paced (around 90 rpms) rides where you concentrate on a round, smooth stroke. My form tends to break down when I go over 90 rpms.
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

30 secs - that's all a superspin is. Learning to produce short bursts of speed with a fast stroke is beneficial. If you're bouncing off the saddle, you need to slow the cadence, practice a smooth stroke until you can get your cadence up fairly high for a short period of time. You don't have to hit the same high as anyone else but a superspin will show you where your stroke breaks down. Everyone has an optimum cadence for their body, but 90 is slow in some people's book.

If a class is "mostly cadences of like 150" the instructor needs some instruction.

150 is pretty high for anything more than short bursts! Do your spin bikes have cadence meters? Or are you estimating? The spin bikes I have used have never had them.

When I ride my trainer at home with Spinervals I watch my cadence meter and heart rate meter. One drill I like is 30 seconds on / 30 seconds off. The 30 seconds on is broken down in 3 segments of 10 seconds. First 10 seconds at 80%. Second 10 seconds at 90%. And last 10 seconds ALL OUT 100%. Then rest for 30 seconds. When you know you only have to REALLY crank it for 10 seconds you see how fast you can superspin!

Quote Originally Posted by Adventure Girl
    One drill I like is 30 seconds on / 30 seconds off. The 30 seconds on is broken down in 3 segments of 10 seconds. First 10 seconds at 80%. Second 10 seconds at 90%. And last 10 seconds ALL OUT 100%. Then rest for 30 seconds. When you know you only have to REALLY crank it for 10 seconds you see how fast you can superspin!

yep - I like that drill too. I also like the alternating sitting and standing every ten seconds. I never liked it on a spin bike, but on my road bike in the trainer, it feels more natural.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Super spinning at a really high cadence on an indoor bike just hurts the hell out of my knees. Most people (i.e. the average exerciser) is just bouncing all over the place! It's hard to explain what this looks like, but it just doesn't feel good!

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn Maislin
    Super spinning at a really high cadence on an indoor bike just hurts the hell out of my knees. Most people (i.e. the average exerciser) is just bouncing all over the place! It's hard to explain what this looks like, but it just doesn't feel good!
    Actually - I've seen it when at Spin classes. It's poor technique - usually from non cyclists.

That's one thing I like about Coach Troy in Spinervals, he comments on what your form should look like. He tells you what your cadence should be, what heart rate zone you should be in. With monitoring all that, I am seeing positive results in my training.

Being able to do a controlled high cadence spin - around 120 RPMs, means you have a good smooth stroke. With what I'm planning, I want to be as efficient as possible.

Our bodies all have their own quirks. I'm very aware of what bothers my knees. For me it's low cadence, high resistance. I still do those sets, but I if get the slightest twinge, the resistance gets backed off. By doing as much as I can, I find I'm able to do more than before.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

I have been in classes with instructors who are cyclists where higher cadence drills are fine... they last for a very short time! Usually, the instructors are male for some reason. I just think that spinning at 150 with no resistance for even 2 or 3 minutes is not going to do anything but leave you open for injury. Most of the people who do this at the gym NEVER put any resistance on their bikes.
    I don't do a specific training program, because I am trying to keep it fun. Yes, I do intervals at times, but when I am outside I just ride. Otherwise, it becomes a job.

Not a lot to go on, but ...

Okay, I've only been to four classes with three instructors, but now I do really get what folks are talking about on this thread, and I do know what I like in a class/instructor.
    1) varied classes. My now favourite instructor tells us right up front what our goals are for the day and the kind of ride we'll be doing. It varies from day to day, week to week.
    2) instruction! She doesn't just say "up" "down" "plus" and so on, but watches all of us -- newbies and experienced alike -- and gives tips on feet, seat, elbows, back, encouragement when we're doing fine, and explains why when she has the time ... and kids around so we're all in a good mood! And she reminds us newbies and old folks to follow our own pace.
    3) varied music. Maybe some of you are single genre music lovers, but I'm an omnivore. I can deal with one cut of techno if we get something with more complex rhythms later on. I don't mind country. I love r&b. This instructor puts in the odd moment of classic, Irish jigs, and stuff with "joke" effects like a sigh just when we're "over a hill".

So no wonder her classes are packed with ... all kinds! racers in full pro gear, old folks, fat folks, skinny folks, folks with new years resolutions, folks with long term goals, moms and their grown daughters. And no wonder the whole crowd is supportive and fun to be with.
    Half-marathon over. Sabbatical year over. It's back to "sacking shirt and oat cakes" as they say here.

Great thread Raindrop

I am not sure there is much to add with all that's been said but this really helps to re-read opinions as a Spinning instructor to see what works for people and what doesn't. I am happy to say I also agree with everyone's pet peeves -- music too loud, instructor who rambles, berates, etc., popcorn jumps, hovering (that's the worst)...it seems like common sense in so many cases for me, can't understand how a trained instructor can continue this wekk in/week out.

One thing that made me think though was Irulan's comments about being a mtn biker and the visualization. I have been a roadie for a long time, relapsed on the mtbiking and just got back into it again, feeling the challenge of some great technical single-track lately. And I think you made me think Irulan about trying to incorporate some single track visualization into some routines...I find I can incorporate mtbiking into climbs, but the single-track would be interesting to work in. I need to think about it on my next single-track ride....and then just trying it maybe on a song or 2 and see how it's received. I've had some classes where I know there are mtn bikers in there so they'd be a good testing ground. I am thinking possibly some quick and rapid gear changes (ah! sand! or deeper mud)...hmmmm, need to think about it. Pass on any ideas, would love to hear them

Tree in the road? I agree (wtf????!!! )
    Ride like a girl.

Renee

Wow, I think everyone summed up what I think a spin class should be. I do however like to do super spins and high cadance work every now and then. I feel so slow riding next to some people because they seem to be flying. But when I take my resistance back down to moderate they are toast. Never really thought that some of those people are using only no or up to three turns. Until the instructor told people to go down to the tensions I use to keep my heart rate up and suddenly most could barely pedal.

[QUOTE=Kimred]I'm one of those annoying people who follow a training plan and need to keep my HR in certain zones so I hardly ever follow the instructor I'm usually there for change of scenory, see friends and listen to music. I also train longer than spin classes so I’m there before the class even starts. The instructors know this about me and leave me alone its nothing personal. I will say I cannot STAND it when they talk too much, it's incredibly annoying.

I can see why you would find a "talkative" instructor annoying since you're there to follow your own program, but for us "newbies" it's necessary, and some of the "oldies" like it too I gather. So here's a suggestion: Bring your own music (mp3 player on your arm) and a noise-blocking headset. That's what I do on planes. It works.
    Half-marathon over. Sabbatical year over. It's back to "sacking shirt and oat cakes" as they say here.

You know, as an instructor, I don't mind anyone in my class doing their own ride (as long as they don't disrupt the class with no-handed cycling, popcorn jumps, or anything else that is totally contradictive), but I will tell any member that attends my class with their own music and earbuds that they need to leave. Why? Because I teach a "group fitness" class, and as such, I do expect the participants to listen to my safety cues, and at least the class profile...otherwise, it turns into a room full of individuals that are doing their own thing, and while that's not a bad thing in an aerobics area, it doesn't really fly in a class situation. This is why facilities have "group fitness classes" and also have an aerobics area.

My .02 only.
    Vertically challenged, but expanding my horizons.

I agree - it is a group thing and is why I like spin classes - there can be (and is with my friends) a certain competitiveness involved.

If I do my own thing its usually instead of doing the popcorns and jumps, I sit and spin. I never use my iPod during class, except for one time... unfortunate combination forced me to. The instructor's music really suck, was incredibly loud and a group nearby were talking over the loud music. I needed to go to my own "happy place". I did however continue to do what the class was doing.
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

I love spinning but only certain class. I like classes that do interval work. I like the class to replicate a real ride, such as hill, mountains, tt, sprints, lots of variety, in and out of the saddle so I get to move around. Bought a real bike because I loved spinning so much, I felt I should take it to a higher level.