Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

LBS and womens bikes

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm looking for my first road bike, and have been test riding bikes at various shops around town. (So far: Jamis, Trek, Giant). I'm having trouble finding bikes that are small enough. My current bike is a Terry Susan B (hybrid), and I have an old beater MTB (no visible name) that serves as an occasional commuter.

After a long conversation with a Terry rep at BikeNY in May, I was motivated enough to call the company and inquire about having a bike sent to an LBS in my area (closest Terry dealer is about 3.5 hour drive away). I ended up speaking with Georgena, who said that she would find an LBS from her contact list and send me the info to follow up with the shop. She did, and I called the store that afternoon, and was given the general manager's email address. Dropped him an email asking him to call me, and giving him the info about the bike and my reason for contacting him. That was last Wednesday. In the past eight days, I've left three messages, with the response that they would have him call me. I felt like I should be understanding about the holiday and the busy season, but I actually want to ride this bike sometime soon.

How much time/leeway would you give an LBS? Basically, I think this guy is just avoiding my calls. The Terry company indicated that they were willing to send the bike out as soon as I was able to confirm with the GM, but the dude hasn't even called back to see what size, etc, I'm looking for. Apparently last night he was out racing at the track (according to the other employee) and so wouldn't be able to call me back. I sent him an email last night stating that I was about to move on, and he actually called and left me a voice mail this morning stating that he was sorry it had taken him so long to get back to me. Of course, when I called him back ten minutes later, no answer. No returned call today.

The shop does not usually sell Terry bikes, and the closest Terry dealer is 3.5 hours away. I'm willing to go there, but would rather find an LBS that I can build a relationship with here, if possible. At this point, I think this one is not going to work out.

I live in Pittsburgh, and there are other shops in town. Do you think there is any reason that I should stick with this one? Have you run into shops that don't want to bring in smaller bikes for you to try? Any suggestions? I still feel like a newbie, in that this is my first road bike purchase, and I don't want to end up with a bike that doesn't work for me.

You are looking to BUY a bike and the LBS is not responding within 1-2 days to your email or your phone calls (assuming that you had the correct email address/LBS phone number). That is definitely NOT a LBS that I would do business with.

Can you imagine if you ever had a bike problem/question....how long would it take the LBS to call you back?

2012 Specialized Amira Elite, upgraded carbon handle bars, Jett saddle 143mm switched to 145mm 2012 Selle Italia Max SLR Gel Flow saddle

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle

Hi and welcome. Here's my take on it...
    It might be worth it for you to take a road trip to the Terry dealer.

In general, some shops don't stock smaller bikes because there isn't as big of demand for them. Or, they will only order one in on condition that you purchase it. ( right) While it's getting a lot better now, it will really vary from shop to shop.

Back to the Terry. This guy may not get a whole lot of of it from Terry, and that may be the lack of enthusiasm... again, if he gets it together to bring it in for you, he doesn't have any guarantees that you'll buy it and that's his time and money. Just because he's on their list doesn't mean anything, really. This is why I think , if you must try the Terry, go to a Terry dealer that has something invested in the sale.

I'd certainly keep looking for a shop that understands the needs of the small rider. For example, one of my favorite shops here, the owner's wife is 4-11 and an avid cyclist.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

I agree with dumping this LBS. We actually have and do on occasion drive 2 plus hours to a couple of the LBS's in Raleigh, NC. We're at the coast and do have a new very good LBS, but they do not carry a lot of clothing (which I understand in this market), going to a larger city we have more options. As far as the bike it's self and parts the LBS here is great. Well the new one is. I don't care as much for the older one. Until we found the new (opened less than a year, their 1 yr anniversary will be next month). We were actually all set to drive 2 plus hours so I could figure out which bike would be my next purchase.

I recently purchased a 44 cm Specialized WSD Ruby Carbon Compact bike. The LBS had to order it from the company. The saleperson, who is wonderful, said they just don't stock them because there isn't much demand for them. They did have one left in my size from last year which was a really good deal so I did get to test ride it. But I hated the color, so I didn't buy it. The LBS still has it. I am pretty sure that's why they don't stock the smaller sizes. they don't want to mark them down to sell them.

Quote Originally Posted by kajero View Post
    ... I am pretty sure that's why they don't stock the smaller sizes. they don't want to mark them down to sell them.
    That could happen with any size bike. My Look 566 is a really common size (medium/53cm) and it would probably still be sitting there unsold, last year's model on sale, if I hadn't bought it recently.
    Some bike shops are selling on sites like eBay, I've noticed. For a person who does want an unusual size, at either end of the spectrum, it exposes them to a much wider range of choices, and the shop to a wider range of customers.
    Queen of the sea beasts

Thanks for the feedback-- I'm definitely dumping this LBS.

There's another LBS, about a 30-min drive, that I'm going to check out this weekend. They sell Specialized, Trek, and Surly, and have a Dolce that may fit me. If I come in for a fitting, they are willing to order a Terry for me to try, as well.

Depending on how well that goes, I'll probably also get in touch with the Terry dealer that's 3.5 hours away and plan on a weekend trip sometime soon. While they don't have a smaller Symmetry in stock, they said they could get one in for me with 1-2 weeks notice, no problems, no charge/obligation. That's the shop where I bought my first Terry, and I've referred a few other customers their way, so it is a decent option.

Quote Originally Posted by breeze View Post
    Thanks for the feedback-- I'm definitely dumping this LBS.

There's another LBS, about a 30-min drive, that I'm going to check out this weekend. They sell Specialized, Trek, and Surly, and have a Dolce that may fit me. If I come in for a fitting, they are willing to order a Terry for me to try, as well.

Depending on how well that goes, I'll probably also get in touch with the Terry dealer that's 3.5 hours away and plan on a weekend trip sometime soon. While they don't have a smaller Symmetry in stock, they said they could get one in for me with 1-2 weeks notice, no problems, no charge/obligation. That's the shop where I bought my first Terry, and I've referred a few other customers their way, so it is a decent option.
    Also short (4'10.5") with short arms. The biggest issues I had with bikes was the reach. The 44cm Dolce may work for you, it has a top tube of less than 50cm. This bike has the more standard 700 wheels. I ended up getting a Trek Madone in the 43cm size, which was even more compact. This size was also available on one of their Lexas. (They have 650 wheels, not 700s) Unfortunately, Trek quit making this size and it is not available after 2011, though their might be some 2011 Lexa's around for a good price.

The Felt ZW75 650 in petite is another possibility, again it have a top tube of less than 50cm. It also has the 650 wheels.

I tried the Surly LHT in the 42 size--the reach was too long. Plus, I didn't really want a bike that heavy.

Depending on your size, the Terry may very well be your best bet. I never was able to track one down to try. I had a terrible time finding anything to try out and ended up taking the risk on the Madone without trying it first, after working with a fitter who thought it was the best choice for me. My other option was going custom but impatience for wanting a bike won the day.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Run, do not walk, away from this LBS. If they can't be bothered to sell you a bike, what happens if you have a major issue? I would also let the Terry people know why you are not buying from that LBS.

Trust me on this one. Been there, done that & got the t-shirt.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

What size bike are you looking for? I road terry bikes for years (classical long legs, short torso and arms) and am very happy on my 48cm Cervelo RS w 650c wheels.

I'd also suggest looking at Felt. My sister at 4'11" has a small ZW95 and likes it a lot.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    2009 Felt ZW100 (Gone but not forgotten)
    2010 C'Dale Synapse 5 Carbon Fem | Koobi Si Classic | "Cinders"

goldfinch, I'm wondering if reach will be an issue for me. (Probably). Thanks for the Felt suggestion (rivergal, too!)-- I'm going to call the local dealer tomorrow to see what they have in the shop.

Triskeliongirl- the Cervelo is gorgeous! Unfortunately, out of my price range right now (trying to keep this bike under $1200; less would be better, as I'm still in grad school).

Size-wise, I'm slightly less than 5'1", with a 28" inseam. There's an LBS with a Specialized Dolce that I'm hoping to try tomorrow, but they only have the 48 and not the 44, so we'll see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by kajero View Post
    The saleperson, who is wonderful, said they just don't stock them because there isn't much demand for them.
    *beginning of rant*
    I don't quite believe there isn't a demand for smaller bikes.

My LBS doesn't stock them either and I've been their patron for over 10 years. Believe me I see tons of small women go in there and "special order" sight-unseen, lots of bikes. It's then ridiculous when I see them selling those bikes on consignment, a year later because they "don't fit."

Because women aren't a priority in the cycling industry, even though I believe we're the largest growing base!

Also, commuters are the largest growing base, but all I see are road-bikes in all my local shops. One of my LBS just started carrying fixed-gear bikes (Way to be late on that one. Lulz.) and the other never has. I know there is general snobbery in the cycling community, but I don't care what type of bike someone rides as long as they're on a bike!

To sum up, I think that the cycling industry in general is missing out on marketing to women - the demand is there.
    *end of rant*
    "Things look different from the seat of a bike carrying a sleeping bag with a cold beer tucked inside." ~Jim Malusa
    2009 Trek 520-Brooks B-17 Special in Antique Brown
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker-Brooks B-17 Standard in Black
    1983 Fuji Espree Single Speed-Brooks B17 British Racing Green

Moderncyclista, I think you hit the nail on the head. Because women still comprise a relatively small portion of cyclists overall (road, mountain, commute, whatever), it makes more business sense from the shop's perspective to stock what they know is going to move. Likewise, if you go to most LBSes, they dedicate much of their stock to road bikes because the "roadie elite" are probably seen as more likely to plonk down a lot of money in their stores, as opposed to buying a low- to mid-price bike to minimize loss due to theft. I think the money thing is the same in road bike land. A few weeks ago we had a thread about why women didn't ride. One idea that came up repeatedly was "beginner women are less willing to spend a lot of money on a bike." So why stock the higher-end WSD stuff if it's not going to move?

My home LBS is pretty big, with several locations. Their women's road bikes are sadly lacking. They stock the mid-range sizes (48, 51cm), with not much on the high or low end of the bell curve. It's annoying. (And they don't have anything nicer than partial 105 on the floor.)
    ETA: And they don't have anything in the way of WSD mountain bikes, either!
    Last edited by Owlie; 06-02-2012 at 10:31 AM.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I think it's important to not use a broad brush here. Most of my local shops understand pretty well what women want/need, and the broader community as a whole ( not just road riding). Just because it's not happening in your community doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM