Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Anyabeth View Post
    I read through this with interest because even though I am taller and was a much easier fit for my LBS I has some similar experiences. The shop guys seemed much less knowledgable about the WSD bikes (which I guess since they don't ride them . . .) and really wanted to put me on a men's bike. I didn't object but kept having problems because though I am 5'7" my hands are tiny and the reach for my hands was tough.

Gear and clothing selection for women was also less than half of that for men. There was only one pair of shorts in my size and they were $150. This is especially frustrating to me since I am a new rider and don't really know how things fit. Since they don't seem to have female employees there wasn't anyone I could really ask.

It is interesting because I feel like I had a pretty decent experience overall and they were certainly trying to be welcoming towards women riders. But a few small things would go a long way to make them more friendly.

This shop did admit that they sell a lot of special order bikes in the smaller sizes. But they still didn't want to stock much under a 48. I should give them credit because they do carry women's sizes in mountain bikes and small cyclecross.
    I just started working for a large chain bike shop. A woman and her husband came in looking for entry-level road bikes. He was 6'2", she was 5'1". We had nothing in road bikes for her, because we don't seem to have a 44cm on the floor, and maybe one that would fit him. It sucks from both sides : You can't get what you need (I've been there too), and they can't help you get what you need , which is disappointing. Sadly, if you don't fit within a certain range of sizes and proportions, bike shopping sucks.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    Sadly, if you don't fit within a certain range of sizes and proportions, bike shopping sucks.
    I'm not even all that outside of "average," but I live in a region that is heavily Dutch (the tallest ethnic group on the planet), so my 5'3.5" puts me solidly in the "short" category. As a result I have a hard time finding bikes to test ride, especially since our LBS of choice is a small shop. I have come to depend upon our LBS friend to determine in advance whether a bike will be a good fit for me--and so far he's done a pretty good job. My CX bike is actually the only one that was actually on the shop floor in advance. For months he was "suggesting" that bike to me. And it's the best fitting bike of any I've ridden.

I'm now in the market for a 29er and have it narrowed down to 2 bikes. I'm pretty much going to make the final decision based upon what Mike recommends, most likely. We've ridden hundreds (thousands?) of miles together, so he has a pretty good idea what will work for me--probably better than I could figure out on my own, since I'm still a noob.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Bringing this back to say thanks to everyone for the advice! I've narrowed it down to two Felts-- the ZW75 and a 2010 ZW5. Both are on year-end sale. I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on the ZW5, which has been discounted a lot.

Something else I'm thinking: would it be weird for me to try to bargain with the LBS if we buy two bikes there? DH has been thinking about a Jamis...

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post

I'm now in the market for a 29er and have it narrowed down to 2 bikes.
    Which ones are on your short list, zoom-zoom?

Quote Originally Posted by macski View Post
    Which ones are on your short list, zoom-zoom?
    It was the Cannondale Tango SL and the Salsa El Mariachi 3. I ended up going with the Salsa and am VERY happy. I've only managed 2 short rides, since I've been battling chronic back issues that flared-up bad just in time for the arrival of my bike. And now this week the weather is going all to Hell. But so far I think our LBS has once again steered me towards a really great fitting bike, sight unseen.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

zoom-zoom, that is one gorgeous bike! Great fall pics!

I got that bike just in time! High winds kicked-in the next day and leaves are no longer clinging to very many trees at all.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    It was the Cannondale Tango SL and the Salsa El Mariachi 3. I ended up going with the Salsa and am VERY happy. I've only managed 2 short rides, since I've been battling chronic back issues that flared-up bad just in time for the arrival of my bike. And now this week the weather is going all to Hell. But so far I think our LBS has once again steered me towards a really great fitting bike, sight unseen.
    Zoom-zoom - gorgeous looking bike thanks for answering my question. Sadly I don't know of an LBS in my area that stocks that brand - the consequence of Australia being a small market.

I asked because I'm looking in to an entry level 29er to see if I like it. It will mostly be for riding fire trails in the mountains - cough - or at least what we call mountains in Australia.

I looked at the Cannondale but that was a bit out of my price bracket. My partner bought a Trek Mamba and I was going to do the same but in the end went for a Trek Cali S (the WSD version of the Mamba) - I felt I needed more stand over clearance anticipating a degree of risk of having to leap off the bike suddenly as I have no experience on dirt trails.

I was a bit reluctant at first because I thought the Cali S looks a bit too girlie for me but I suppose I'll get used to it. We don't get the stock arriving in Australia until 10 Dec though - I'm sooooo not good at waiting.
    Last edited by macski; 10-29-2012 at 05:48 PM.