Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Care to share any fundraising ideas?

To disable ads, please log-in.

My fundraising team and I are trying to come up with some creative fundraising ideas. It occured to me that among this crowd there may be some pretty unique ideas.

So what are some of the ways you raised money?

lots of tips but one is be sure to turn the "funds raised" thermometer on on your ALC homepage. People like the idea of seeing that their donation is helping you meet your goal.

House parties seem to be a good idea. Invite folks over, feed them well, get a speaker from ALC. Many riders meet their entire pledge goal at that one event. You could even do an entire team house party, more people, more food, more fun.

Don't forget to thank your sponsors: thank you cards-real ones, not those e-mail things, keep them updated along the way-if they don't ride it's interesting what you do to train and gives them an idea what a chalenge it is, some kind of report about the ride afterward is nice.

Always carry pledge forms with you, wear the t-shirt, the bracelet thing. Sounds corny but...you never know who has been touched by your event, this goes not just for ALC but any charity ride. People wll ask you if they can sponsor you and you want to be prepared.

I used e-mail a lot but also got creative: my out of office assistant, voice mail on home and cell phone all would say something like "I'm either on the phone, away from my desk or out training for the AIDS ride.." and the out of office assistant had a link to the plege site. Since the company I work for has an internal employee giving website I could use that.

Also the one thing I did differently last year was followup. People will respond affirmitively that they will sponsor you or volunteer that they will. If some months later they haven't, send a second letter. Folks get busy, have other priorities and expenses, or just forget. A lot of times that does the trick. Because of that I met my pledge goal earlier last year with fewer sponsors.
    Last edited by Trek420; 12-30-2005 at 05:47 AM.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

It's too late for Christmas cards, but what about selling hand made (or computer made) Valentines? They could have a message on the back about your team and where the money is going to - and where to donate more!
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

A couple of women at work are selling Valentine Sweetheart Messages. For $1.50 per message, you write your valentine a message. It can be signed or anonymous. They collect all the messages, then deliver them on Valentine's day. They're fundraising for the Susan Koman BC fund.

fundraising tips from the breast cancer fund

I posted this back in October:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some tips from the Breast Cancer Fund:

(just replace BCF with ALC below)

Fundraising Tips
    It’s as easy as 1-2-3:
    1. Set an ambitious goal for how much you want to raise and make a list of all the people you can
    ask to make donations. Consider family, friends, colleagues, business owners and other
    members of your community.

2. Get the word out…and ask for donations! Write letters. Send emails. Make phone calls. Talk
    to people. Tell them why you’re taking on this challenge and what your personal goals are.
    Suggest an amount and give a deadline, prior to Bike Against the Odds, for collecting their
    donation.

3. After Bike Against the Odds, thank all your supporters and let them know how you did!
    Some helpful advice:
    Start fundraising now! Sure, asking for money can be intimidating, but in our
    experience, not only have riders exceeded their fundraising goals, they’ve also found
    the fundraising to be easy, and say they could’ve raised more – if they had only had
    more time.

It is okay to ask for money. Breast cancer concerns all of us, but we don’t all have time to
    work on solutions. Most people welcome the opportunity to contribute when asked, since
    making a donation is an easy way to help. They just want to know that their money is going to
    a national organization that can make an impact, and local programs that benefit the
    community.

Don’t be afraid to be rejected. Not everyone you ask will say yes, but most will.
    Make as large a list as you can of potential contributors, and don’t be afraid to ask.
    People almost always wish they were in a position to help and are sorry when they have
    to say no.

Get to know the Breast Cancer Fund. In response to the public health crisis of breast cancer,
    our mission is to identify – and advocate for the elimination of – the environmental and other
    preventable causes of the disease. Breast Cancer Fund is a leader in the environmental health
    movement and is shifting industry, policy-makers, and the public toward a precautionary,
    prevention-focused, and sustainable approach to protecting human health from toxic chemicals
    and dangerous, environmental exposures. For more information on our work, check out our
    Web site: www.breastcancerfund.org.

Make it personal. Tell people why breast cancer is an important issue for you personally.
    This makes the issue most compelling to your potential donor, and is particularly effective in
    the form of a letter.

Ask for a specific amount. Encourage donors to give the most they can. Tell them what your
    overall goal is, and ask for an amount that will be reasonable to them. Remember that a $25
    donation from one individual may be more of a stretch than $500 from another. Always
    graciously accept whatever is given, even a decline.
    Ask for help. Get a few friends, family members or co-workers to assist in your fundraising
    efforts, either with moral support, help in writing and reviewing your letters, putting together a
    fundraising event, or even asking people they know for donations on your behalf.

Fundraising Ideas:

Letter Campaign: By far the most common and highly effective fundraising method is a mailing
    and/or emailing, primarily to friends and family, business associates and local businesses. Consider
    slightly altering your letter to tailor it to the interests of the individual or group you are sending it to.
    Include information about: a) what you are doing and why it is important; b) Breast Cancer Fund; c)
    how they can support your effort by contributing toward your fundraising goal; d) how to make a
    donation and the date you need it by. Remember to thank them for giving whatever they can.

Letter Writing Steps: (see sample letter)
    • Develop a list of people to receive the letter.
    • Write and send an effective letter and tell people how easy it is to make a donation
    online.
    • Make follow-up calls and/or emails. A week after people have received your letter,
    follow up with those who haven’t responded and ask if they can support your effort.
    People may misplace or set aside the letter and will appreciate a reminder. Followup
    calls emphasize how serious you are and will usually double your return.
    • Thank your contributors. Keep in touch with them after the event. Some riders send a
    picture of themselves after completing their event, copied on a thank you letter with a story
    describing their experience on Bike Against the Odds.
    Matching Funds: Many companies will match funds raised or donated by their employees. If you or
    your supporters work for such a company, these matches can double your fundraising effort. Be sure
    to remind the people you solicit of this fact. Matching gifts will count toward your overall fundraising
    goal if the gifts are received by October 7, 2005.

Host a House Party: House parties have a wide variety of possibilities. Host a brunch, picnic,
    cocktail party, dinner party – just about any excuse to bring people together. Suggest a contribution to
    attend or request voluntary donations at the party. Join forces with a group of friends in order to
    maximize your potential mailing list, and divide up the work.
    Other Possibilities: Try fundraising through a garage sale, car wash, or bake sale.

Sample Fundraising Letter
    July 1, 2005
    Susie Love
    555 Mountain Street
    Mill Valley, CA 94941

“We cycle to live out the gains that come with a diagnosis of cancer. In a venture of
    our choosing – breast cancer gave us no choice – we apply our courage and faith that anything
    is possible, if taken one step at a time. And we do it all as part of a team, cyclists and
    supporters, knowing that there is more that we can achieve together than apart.”
    -Andrea R. Martin, Founder, Breast Cancer Fund

Dear Susie,

I will be taking on a big physical challenge, and I need your help. I will be cycling a
    challenging one day ride on Sunday, October 9th with hundreds of other people and the Breast
    Cancer Fund to demonstrate my commitment to end breast cancer. I have set a personal goal of
    raising $____ for my effort and I am asking you to support me by making a contribution of
    $____ to the Breast Cancer Fund toward this goal.

I am cycling because I am tired of so many women getting this disease. Almost
    everyone has had breast cancer touch their lives in some way. I don’t want to get it myself. I
    know you share my concern. It is unacceptable that 1 in 7 women in America today have a
    chance of getting breast cancer, and that the risk level is rising. In response to the public health
    crisis of breast cancer, the Breast Cancer Fund identifies – and advocates for elimination of –
    the environmental and other preventable causes of the disease.

I realize there are a lot of people participating in events to raise money for good causes.
    I have chosen the Breast Cancer Fund because they are the only group focused solely on
    prevention of the disease. With your help, we can find the root causes of breast cancer and
    prevent so many more people from having to face this disease.

Please join me in making a difference by giving a contribution to the Breast Cancer
    Fund and returning it to me by October 1st so I can cycle on your behalf. You can send a check
    to me today (please make checks payable to the Breast Cancer Fund and include my name &
    BAO-05 in the memo line) or visit my personal Bike Against the Odds web page at _____ to
    make an instant credit card pledge online.

Many thanks,
    Doris B. Strong
    124 6th Street
    Biketown, CA 99999
    Cheers!

Cindy

Team Luna Chix

I felt like running with the Valentine idea - (I've kind of assumed you are raising money for ALC?). If you like any of them PM me we can talk.

p.s. as far as I can tell the red ribbon isn't copywrite protected, but you may want to check into it further
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hearttoribbon.gif 
Views:	440 
Size:	5.9 KB 
ID:	519   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ribbontoheart.gif 
Views:	442 
Size:	6.1 KB 
ID:	520   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sexybikerchick.jpg 
Views:	451 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	521  
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

A fundraising party.

One thing my group and I working on is a dinner. Getting a local eatery to supply the food at cost to us. We get kids from the local high school who are looking for service hours to help with set up, serving and clean up. The church will let us use their hall. We advertise in church newsletters and local shops. Sell tickets. We just have to figure out our cost, split the expenses and then sell the tickets for 50% more than the cost. Or go to a local Costco or wherehouse store and buy lasagne, heat, but salad and pre-made bread. Again the cost when you buy in bulk is low. If I alone invite my immediate family, I have 20 people. You know once people are there, they will throw in money, etc. You could have a raffle, etc.

Just another idea to help you out.

yeaah.. fundraising is scary. o_O seems like it'll take forever before i can reach 2500. what i did partly was ask my friends instead of getting me anything for xmas or birthday to donate instead. now working on thinking up other ideas...

Hiya...

I'm chiming in with support for the house party. It seems anything with food is really helpful. I was involved with Team in Training (a marathon -- WHAT was I THINKing??!!!), and I had a pasta feed. I sent out invitations that I made on the computer featuring a photo on the cover of my wrist with my hospital bracelets (running in honor of one and in memory of two); the inside left page was the menu and the right side were the details of the event. I called it "An Affair of the Heart." Because I love to cook, I did the food with help from my sister and friend, but I called a local Italian restaurant to find out how to do a buffet line that included three types of pastas with different sauces without the pasta clumping together. That really helped.

Because I was a county government employee at the time with lots of friends who were also county employees, I timed my dinner for the Saturday right after payday and it helped. I raised nearly all of my $3,000 that night.

I learned a lot from that event and would love to provide more info or helpful tips. I'd even travel to help out if you decide to do it....I'm not that far from you.

Good luck! Keep up the good work!

Karen

Thank you all!

I think a house party sounds like a fun idea! with food of course!

It occured to me that a movie night, maybe with a cycling theme could be fun too. Breaking Away, maybe?

Two more idea

A rummage or yard sale. My group is out of a church, so we are going to ask for donations of items, man the tables ourselves, hold the sale at the parking lot of the church and sell. Any items not sold we will donate to salvation army or goodwill.

Change jar. I have a change jar at home (and at work). All the change I collect will go into my fund, it may not be much, but it could add up over time. The one on my desk is sitting next to a jar of candy.

This may sound dorky, and it would take some work and it's kind of dirty, but collect aluminum cans from friends and co-workers. The current rate is $1.25 per pound in the State of California.

I belong to a local service club and we operate a weekly aluminum redemption center. As part of our service, we work with youth groups and other people doing fundraising and we give a premium for large amounts of cans. For instance, depending on our redemption rate, we may offer upwards of $1.40 or so per pound, if the group or person has brought in 50 pounds or more. Usually they bring in much more, and it can add up really fast. Just a
    thought.

KD

Deleted because our ever so efficient admins took care of it.
    Last edited by SadieKate; 02-06-2006 at 02:30 PM.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Gambling for sponsorship

I'm running a mini-marathon for charidee next week, and rather than simply ask my coworkers for sponsorship, I'm taking bets on myself. They can take a guess to the nearest 15s for $5. I've given them a previous race time, my race aim, and the person to guess the closest to my achieved time will win a trayful of my homemade chocolate fudge brownies.

Go to some nearby chain restaurants (I say chain because most of these have set procedures for these things, though if you have a good relationship with a certain local restauarant/bar you could approach them too) and ask about fundraising. I'm doing a fundraiser with a nearby establishment, where they send me 500 flyers and I can make as many copies as I want. The fundraiser is for however many days I choose, and I chose three consecutive days in mid-June, during which any person who eats at the place and has a flyer on hand, 15% of the total bill goes towards my charity.