Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sunscreen Suggestions

To disable ads, please log-in.

I recently have become worried that maybe my spray on sunscreen isn't healthy? I'm gathering this is due to the fact that the zinc compounds typically found in sunscreen isn't able to be used in 'spray on' form and there are inhalation risks associated with it?

Anyhow, what do you use and know to be an effective and safer sunscreen?

I think zinc oxide is actually the safest sunblock there is, from what I've read. There have even been studies on nano-particles of zinc oxide that found (surprisingly to all involved) that it was not absorbed through the skin.

My favorite is eco:logical. Larger particle zinc oxide only, unscented, doesn't go rancid easily, doesn't separate quite as readily as some other brands, doesn't leave a blue sheen, stays on through sweat, doesn't take a lot, works fine, not too bad on my EXTREMELY sensitive skin. I'm a convert from Badger - which goes on very blue, contains heavier, greasier oils, separates easily, and contains sensitizing lavender oil (besides men don't necessarily like the fragrance).

I will not use nanoparticles of titanium dioxide (it actually undergoes a reaction with sunlight that creates cancer-causing free radicals), and most chemical sunblocks aren't safe either for sea life or for human life.

Still, if I can cover with fabrics I'd rather do that than put anything on my skin that will attract dirt and keep me from sweating. Sunblock goes on nose and cheekbones to keep them the same color as the rest of my face; earlobes and neck to cover what would just get rubbed off anyway and/or is outside the range of hat or visor; and that's it. Something else on my lips usually, though I've used the eco:logical there too in a pinch. Occasionally, if I'm out on a rare long day in sandals, the tops of my feet will get some too. I love the function of my de Soto arm coolers, but the fit is so weird that I just ordered a pair of the Zoot arm coolers for comparison. I'll let you know...

ETA: The eco:logical sunblock is widely available where I am, but I just checked their website to see, and West Marine carries it, so you should be able to get it at retail no matter where you are as long as there's a lake, river or ocean nearby. If not, there's always ordering it through your local natural food store if they don't already carry it, or the intertubes.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 05-28-2012 at 04:28 PM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Vanicream Sport. I try others, but keep coming back to this one. It's well-rated by EWG and stays on like nobody's business.

Good timing for this topic - I am either tanning or my freckles are meeting so I need to get off my butt and do something for sun protection. I might be one 5 foot 3 freckle soon otherwise...

Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    Vanicream Sport. I try others, but keep coming back to this one. It's well-rated by EWG and stays on like nobody's business.
    ^ This is what I use. I am fair skinned and have skin allergies to a host of things I can't pronounce. Vanicream is one I can use. I was just out in the Everyglades from 9-2 today. Put it on just before getting out of the car, and other than a bit of sun on my cheeks and nose, I don't even have tan lines. My only minor complaint is that it goes on a bit thick and stays mildly sticky, meaning I need to use Body Glide behind my knees or they'll chafe, and dirt tends to stick to my legs and arms. It's also cheap, compared to a lot of sunscreens, and can be bought at the corner drugstore.

I just ordered this to try:

Babo Botanicals SPF 30 Clear Zinc Sports Stick

I wanted to try something I could stick in my jersey pocket and put on my face while riding, if needed.
    2013 Kirk Frameworks JK Special/Selle Anatomica
    2012 Gunnar Sport/Brooks B17
    2001 Calfee Tetra Pro/Selle Anatomica
    1984 Raleigh Sport/Brooks B66

I really love Endurance Shield - It stays on all day (even if you swim in it!), doesn't clog pores or cause breakouts, protects even my fairest-skinned friends, and it smells good!

I don't want to hijack this thread, but since we're on the topic is there a good sunscreen available that lets sweat pass through easily? If I use commonly available sunscreens (like Banana Boat), my face cannot perspire and I get overheated in a short time.
    JEAN

2011 Specialized Ruby Elite - carbon fiber go-fast bike
    DiamondBack Expert - steel road bike
    Klein Pinnacle - classic no-suspension aluminum MTB

@HiHo, you'll notice that that's one of the main reasons I prefer to cover with fabric. I'll post a review of the Zoot coolers whenever they arrive.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Third vote for Vanicream. They should change the name...

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    @HiHo, you'll notice that that's one of the main reasons I prefer to cover with fabric. I'll post a review of the Zoot coolers whenever they arrive.
    I look forward to your review. Thanks!
    JEAN

2011 Specialized Ruby Elite - carbon fiber go-fast bike
    DiamondBack Expert - steel road bike
    Klein Pinnacle - classic no-suspension aluminum MTB

I vote for Aloe Gator. I use the lotion. It's fairly cheap and works well, and doesn't hurt when you sweat it into your eyes.

The gel version is REALLY greasy, though.

I'm a big fan of kineysis -- I probably spelled that wrong. But it works well, and the spray goes on dry. I also use their stick for the area around my eyes and my lips.

Winding Road - thanks for starting this thread! You have made it finally get off my a** and get to the store for some sun-screen. I wound up getting some Alba Botanica Pure Lavender sunscreen - apparently good for 80 minutes (we will see). The price wasn't bad.

The sports version was for a shorter time period so I didn't get it and the version I got was recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation - assuming that means anything at all. It says it is a "very emollient sunscreen", we will see what that means. Hopefully that isn't another way to say "very greasy". Now that I have it I see that EWG doesn't rate it well in the safety department...
    Last edited by Catrin; 05-31-2012 at 02:53 AM.

Timely thread, since I'm looking for sweat-resistant sunscreen that won't block pores. I'm a little leery of the 'natural' ones for that reason--if I get most lotion on my face, it turns into the site of the annual meeting of the Great Lakes Zit and Pimple Society.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I am partial to Coppertone Oil Free SPF 50 (minimum 30 if I can't find 50):

http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...8&catid=274389

I like this bc it's NOT greasy at all, it works, it doesn't make me break out (acne or skin reaction) and it doesn't have that tell tale sunscreen smell. It can be hard to come by in the store (higher than SPF 15) and when I'm forced to use something else, I hate it. I should buy this in bulk as my husband and I go through many bottles a year.

It may not be the best or most natural but it is definitely my favorite. Frankly, "good" sunscreen is the one you'll actually use!